Cloth nappies - am I doing it right?

Jessiecat

Reaction score
So my son is 2 weeks old and we've not fully switched but are starting to play around with cloth nappies.
So we have little lamb ones and basically I put the terry liner against him, then the absorbant main nappy bit and then he waterproof wrap bit. Everytime I take it off though the whole things is wet and basically jut feels like he's had a wet towel held against him. We're changing him often but he's a heavy wetter. Is it right that it's all so wet? It must be so uncomfortable?
It also gets red hot in there for him whih will obviously get worse in summer. Can anyone shed any light?

A terry liner won't keep him dry, fleece liners do though, they help keep nappy rash at bay too. I think your terry liners are boosters to soak up wee, not liners. You can either buy fleece liners online or make your own by buying a microfleece blanket and cutting it up. The whole nappy will feel wet though, but using a fleece liner will create a dry barrier against the skin.

Not sure about it being hot, I don't use LL but I do use terry Bumbles of a night and I don't find they make her hot.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will get some fleece liners then. How often would you expect to change a newborn reusable nappy?
Thanks again for your help.

I didn't use reusables when she was newborn. But when I did start, when she was about 4 weeks, I was changing every 2 hours, except at night. That's eased up now and it's roughly every 4 hours but her night nappies go 12 hours so overnight. It was a bit of trial and error though, and I weathered a few leaks on clothes before I got it right!

Really appreciate your advice. We have decided (for now at least) to stick with disposables at night whilst sleep is so scarce and unpredictable but have moved fully over to cloth in the day.
Looking forward to trying the fleece liners.
Thanks again for your replies.

As regards feeling hot, clot nappies have been proved to be at least 1ºC cooler than disposables, and 2ºC cooler if you use a wool cover instead of a PUL cover. This is because they allow evaporation to take place, which is cooling. Spouses are plastic outered, and allow no evaporation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back