Cloth for one baby?

snowbee

Reaction score
This is all very early thoughts at the moment but I wondered if anyone had chosen to use cloth nappies who were only planning the one child and how it compared economically to disposables? Cost isn't my only consideration but it is certainly a factor I would like to compare.

I'm planning on using cloth diapers only. :) From what I've read it's much cheaper even for one baby. I went to Walmart and priced disposable diapers and multiplied that by for like one month's worth and yes, it is much cheaper. I've already bought a lot of cloth diapers so far and I'm almost done buying all I'll need for him till he's potty trained. :) So that saves a small fortune I'd be paying in disposable diapers already. Plus I've read some things about the chemicals used in disposable diapers too, so that has really made up my mind for me. Anti-vacciners should not be worried about the vaccines, they need to be worried about disposable diapers! :shock: I started out wanting to do it to save money, then read about how it helps the environment and learned about the chemicals in disposable diapers and the effect they can have so yes my choice is cloth. :) Plus cloth diapers are so darn cute! :)

Last edited:
Who can resist these cute little things? :)

Attachments

• go-green-pocket-diapers.jpg
    go-green-pocket-diapers.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hehe they are lovely aren't they. I like the bright colour ones, I like bright things :)

I am interested in using cloth for many reasons but I do need to consider the cost. I see loads of people say they are great value if you have more than one child but I have to be realistic and think after years of infertility this could well be an only child. I need to look into it more.

Yup I love bright colors too! :lol: Yes do some research and google it, it's very interesting. :)

Snowbee, yes they are cost effective.
Basically you have two choices, you can either buy 2nd hand cloth cheap (or buy cheaper brands new like prefolds and wraps, Mio Solos are often on offer and shops like Aldi and boots usually stock them) OR you can buy the more expensive ones like Tots bots Easyfits, Wonderoos etc and then sell them on when you have done which will recoup some of your money :)

I use cloth, I used them for my 2nd child and my 3rd (current) baby. But I bought a lot of them 2nd hand with my older daughter because I didn't want to spend a lot and not get on with them. When she toilet trained I kept them but after a few years I either sold or sent to charity the older 2nd hand ones and just kept a few 'favourites' and brand-new-to-us ones.
I had a big gap and my older daughter was (is) 9 when my baby was born so I've had to buy a lot of cloth nappies anyway. I bought Teenyfits brand new which I am now going to sell, and I bought some 2nd hand tiny fitted nappies as well because when my baby was newborn even the teenyfits were too big around the legs lol. Anyway, I'm selling on all my first size newborn cloth as they are in good condition. I've bought a few new 2 part size 1s and a load of 2nd hand size 1 2-part nappies and a few new wraps for over the winter (as the nappies can be tumbled to speed up drying time), When she's out grown them I'll sell most of them on again for similar to what I paid (about £1 to £2 a nappy).
Then I have tots bots and wonderoos which will last til she potty trains. Some I bought new, some second hand but all in good condition so will be sold on once she trains. And then I have a few that I kept from last time.

I would like another baby but I'm single so it might not happen and I don't have the space to store loads of nappies so I think I'll sell them as the money would be useful. If I have another baby in a few years I'll buy more then lol.

Last edited:
Very useful thanks. Where would be the best place to buy and sell second hand nappies? I keep hearing about the nearly new sales so when I get further on I will see if I can find one of those close by.

Due to the fact that cloth diapers are not thrown away but washed in the washing machine, they are much cheaper. Consider how many diapers you use per day or week. Then you'll see how much you have to spend on disposable diapers. Now tell me yourself if you think they're cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back