Clomid trouble!

Nemi

Reaction score
Today I am feeling so frustrated!

I have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. (I refuse to believe it is proper PCOS as I don't have any of the other symptoms) but anyway I have been given clomid and have been waiting for af so that i can start taking it. AF is due any day from now until Monday. I was told that I need to phone up the clinic on CD1 to book some scans (not sure which days) and take clomid from CD2 until 6.

I phoned up today as I am sure that AF will come over the weekend and then the clinic won't be open for me to phone. I was hoping i could tentatively book the scans and then confirm on Tuesday. The woman I spoke to was really rude and unhelpful. Initially she was just telling me over and over that i have to take clomid from CD2 (I already knew that!!)

Finally she understood what I was asking but then said said that they were fully booked for the rest of May and so I couldn't have the scans and would have to wait until June to start taking it. :wall2:

I cried and cried after that phone call. I understand that they are really busy and can't help it if they have no spaces. I am just so fed of being pushed aside, like nobody in the NHS cares that I am struggling so much with ttc. I already had to wait longer after my abnormal blood tests came back because I listened to a doctor who said I should just keep trying for a few more months. I just don't want to be pushed to the back of the queue anymore.

I thought about just taking it on CD 2 anyway and then phoning them on Tuesday and hoping that they will make more of an effort to fit me in, but I am a bit scared that will backfire somehow.

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to let it all out! :-(

I would absolutely start taking them and call them back next week. Hopefully you'll get someone nicer and more helpful at the end of the phone. Try to be firm and tell them that your consultant has stated for you to start them this cycle and you need a scan on day X (think mine was 11). Lie if you have to, say you spoke to someone else this week and they said they had spaces available. Cause a fuss if you have to xx

I would also start them, if you hadn't called today you would have started them anyway if your AF had arrived over the weekend. I also had trouble booking my scans for my first round of clomid, the nurse on the phone was very dismissive about being able to fit me in but I took mine anyway, called again and got a scan. I then had to go back as my follicle hadn't grown as expected and I had to have someone come in when the unit was actually closed to do my repeat scans, which they were totally fine with.

PS my back up plan was follicle tracking scans at a private scanning place near to us, they charge £180 for as many scans as you need.

I agree with the others.

I'm like you Nemi - polycystic ovaries but no other symptoms (although I do over-respond to clomid which is another symptom). I do wonder if something else is causing it and I'm frustrated with the NHS that they haven't done more tests or investigations.

Your clinic should keep spaces open for scans as they will know people will be ringing up the day before. It's not acceptable to say they can't fit you in for an entire month and then have to push back your treatment.

A tracking scan at a private hospital is probably a good option if yours can't track you as you do need to be careful with PCOS and clomid if you ovulate on your own. I got 8 mature follicles on 50mg and 5 on 25mg! (Still didn't get pregnant but hurt like a bitch when I ovulated...) My sister's GP just gave her clomid without any tracking scans though and she ovulates fine so that does happen!!!

I hope they sort something out. I wish they took us seriously. Xxx

Thank you all for your responses! It helps me feel like I'm not being totally unreasonable!

If AF comes over the weekend then I will just take them and them phone on Tuesday when it is open again!

Update!

All my worry about getting af and taking my first lot of clomid over the bank holiday weekend seems to have been for nothing.

CD31 today and no AF!

I have all the symptoms that she should be showing up, sore boobs, stomach aches, bloating etc, but so far she is not here.

Hopefully she will show up tomorrow and then I can get on with everything!

Hi just a quick one I was misdiagnosed with PCOS in my 20's it turned out I had an Underactive Thyroid. My GP kept saying it was definitely PCOS then a locum did blood tests and discovered my Thyroid problem. My GP had told me Underactive thyroid caused heavy periods whilst in case my periods had stopped but he was wrong. They tested my blood for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) Free T4 (thyroxine) and Thyroid Antibodies (this one means your body thinks your thyroid is a foreign body and is attacking it)
Thyroid function is so important when trying to conceive and so many GPs just don't understand it's importance. Your TSH should be 2.0 when trying to conceive. When I joined the forum I copied over an article on Thyroid / Pregnancy I'll try to bump it up,

Thanks Clementine. I'm sure they must have checked my thyroid but they never give me any facts. I just have cysts on my ovaries, heavy periods and bleed a lot before my periods. Xx

I don't know if they checked my thyroid, I guess they did?

They found cysts on my ovaries in the scan!

As for this cycle, still no AF. I am hoping she will show up tomorrow!

Still no good! :(

AF showed up yesterday (finally) and I still can't get an appointment for the scans.

I spoke to them today and they said they are fully booked.

I told them that I had already taken the clomid (I haven't) and that still didn't work. They just told me not to take anymore until next cycle.

The NHS and I are not friends right now. I feel so pushed aside and not cared about, had a cry because it is just so rubbish.

I feel like I will never get pregnant.

Oh Nemi, that's just not good enough! Even though I'm kind of feeling the same about the NHS and never being able to get pregnant at the moment, you have to believe you will. I believe you will! I'm here if you need to talk xx

I have to say my treatment by the NHS has been terrible. You do feel like your pushed a side and the problem is it's just not consistent at all. One doctor says one thing and another says the opposite. I know for me in my head I think we will end up with going private for IVF. Maybe even for clomid as the NHS won't bloody give it to me!

I'm a nurse working for the NHS and I have been so horribly treated by the colleagues at the infertility clinic that I have just decided to start clomid on my own. Fuck it

Last edited:
I was given a PCOS diagnosis too (although I am apparently 'borderline' which I am guessing is because my cycles are relatively regular). They never even mentioned clomid to me - just that I would have to have ivf. Is it usual for them to try clomid first?

Yes Trina, but if you're borderline then you're probably ovulating anyway. Clomid just helps stimulate ovulation and pcos can cause you to over-respond (as I did). Not worth taking unless you don't ovulate. X

Yes Trina, but if you're borderline then you're probably ovulating anyway. Clomid just helps stimulate ovulation and pcos can cause you to over-respond (as I did). Not worth taking unless you don't ovulate. X

Thanks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back