Clingy baby..

babyslog

Reaction score
Ok so hes only 3 days old but he doesnt wana settle in his moses basket.. He constanyly wants to lay on you and cuddle! Will hysterically cry when hes put down!!

MW coning later so will c what she suggests. But if hes not on my boob feeding hes on our chests sleeping!!
We have do far had 3 very sleepless nights :( xx

My LO was the same, MW told me to put a top I had been wearing over the mattress so it smelled of me and after a few more attempts she became better at going in. Hope you find something that works : )

Sounds about right hon, no real pearls of wisdom other than just go with it.

Remember he's very new and used to being all warm and cosy in your tummy. He's juwt getting used to his surroundings. Some babies quickly adapt to their moses baskets, others take a few weeks.

Swaddling might help (didnt for my two). It does get easier I promise xx

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Oh hun I think in the first week I had 4 hours sleep collectively! It does get better I promise. It's so normal for them to want to be with you in the very early days, your the closest thing to the womb. Things that helped us was putting a muslin I had worn round my neck around the baby when they're off to sleep. I also found swaddling a huge help, probably the most helpful thing. They advise against it but as long as you don't do it tightly around the legs it's fine. If you don't want to introduce a dummy, allowing him to suckle on your finger helps too.

I found things like white noise text didn't work on her until much much later.
In the mean time I definitely suggest having your partner do one night and you another night so you get a full nights sleep? For other reasons at the beginning we had to top up with expressed milk so the night feeds were bottle feeds which my hubby helped our with.

I hope he settles for you chick and congratulations!!xxx

Also my lo hated her Moses basket! She much preferred the cot. Fuss pot!xxx

They are very new and unsettled at this age - they are used to being close to mummy, its a scary.big world around them. Worn top is a good idea and sling is even better, gives you free hands. And they feed lots before milk comes in and in the first 6 weeks to establish your supply. Try to have a nap if he settles on your OH and have plenty to drink and eat, you need the energy xxx

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

My little man is still like this 10 weeks in lol. The only place he might (notice the word might lol) settle, other than in our arms, is his cot. He tends to end up in bed in my arms most nights just so we can sleep. The way I see it is, our arms are obviously the safest, comfiest place to be so it's quite natural that that's the place they would rather be. A sling is a great idea. Just go with the flow and enjoy this time of doing nothing but cuddle, the time goes so fast x

tapatalkin

I have a total of 5 h sleep in the first 2 weeks...
You bet he is clingy after all he was with you for 9 m and then suddenly someone pulled him out. It can't really see around, it can barely hear and all that he knows very well is your smell and your voice when it's close to you.

Amelie never slept on us but here are a few bits that helped us.
We had a Moses basket with vibrations. That helped an awful lot on settling the baby in bed rather than us.
We were doing 1/2 feed then diaper change then rest of the feed so I was putting her drowsy in bed and with the vibrations on she was out in seconds.
Babies lived in a very loud environment for 9 m.
I had Ewan the sheep and a fisher price seahorse to help her settle.
That sheep has sounds that mimic the womb that they lived in for so long. Failing that there are some white noise applications to try in your phone.
I was always wrapping her loosely in a blanket after the diaper change so when i put her down she dosent startle to wake herself. Once settled in bed I was opening the blanket so she dosent get hot.
A sling is a wonderful idea I didn't really use it at the beginning though as i wanted her to learn to sleep on her bed, but that's just me it's a perfect way to get your hands free during the day.

Not everyone's cup but a pacifier helped us a whole lot. she is now 10 m old and only sometimes uses it during the night (by herself). We never use it during the day bit those early days it was a huge comfort for her and some piece for mummy.

You are doing great, first 3 weeks are a hell then everything starts getting clearer sth like a fog disappears...

As everyones said its normal babes. I had Ana sleeping in her rocker chair one night as the previous night I'd fallen asleep with her in bed with me.

Catch up with as much sleep as you can during the day, as it does get better. xxx

It's totally normal.

Poor little bub's can be pretty traumatised once they arrive in the big bad world.

James was OK in his baby chair but wouldn't go in his crib until he was 7 weeks old (he did start sleeping through then though thankfully)

Take it in turns to sleep, try different place to put baby (he may like being snuggled up on the sofa with lots of blankets?) but most importantly enjoy the newborn cuddles. You blink and bub is no longer a newborn :shock:

xxxxxxx

Thanks so much girls!
Guna try some of these out :) hes curretly fast asleep on the pillow on my lap after this feed lol. To cute to move!! But i need a shower. He has sometimes enjoying laying on out bed after webhave changed him so even if i try tht for an hour or so if he falls asleep i can make sure hes well protected with pillows etc.

Hes also got a heat rash.. Well thats what midwife said it was.. Its got worse thru the night.. Spent most the time in just a vest or jut a nappy with a muslin so he didnt catch a chill.

Ah i love him so much! Just wanna make sure hes all alright! And sleeps well so i can aswell lol xx

Have u got a swing hun? Alot of bubbas love these and settle well in them...it leaves ur hands free to do what u need to do aswell. As everyone's saying....it does get easier! I remember the first few days thinking omg I am never going to get caught up with everything but you soon do :) enjoy him! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Good luck! As others said, you just have to go with it for now even though its hard! Sleep during the day whenever you can and things will eventually slot into place and he will sleep better.
we also gave up on the Moses basket at 3 weeks and put my daughter into her cotbed, best decision we ever made!

One piece of advice hun - with my first i fell asleep on the sofa with him in my arms which is dangerous. So i researched safe bed sharing rules and never looked back but its not for everyone. I.have a bedguard and no pillows next to him and his own blanket. So if you feel like its an option, do it safely.
My son went into.his cot at 9 months old though :) It does get better, hold on.there. When you are past 6 weeks, its starting to get much much better

At three days old we were still in the hospital! In those first few weeks OH and I ran a shift system, one was up with LO while the other was asleep/resting/eating. There was no day or night! Just sleep when you can! We didn't have too many issues with putting LO down at that stage (it was about 5-6 weeks he started sleeping well at night & crap in the day and would not be put down in the day! He's better now at 4 months!) so if he was asleep in the basket, we'd either have him upstairs with us while we slept or we would both have a lie down on the sofa!

It's easier said than done, but do try to forget about normal life for a little while! Focus purely on baby and looking after yourself. The rest will come with time.

One piece of advice hun - with my first i fell asleep on the sofa with him in my arms which is dangerous. So i researched safe bed sharing rules and never looked back but its not for everyone. I.have a bedguard and no pillows next to him and his own blanket. So if you feel like its an option, do it safely.
My son went into.his cot at 9 months old though :) It does get better, hold on.there. When you are past 6 weeks, its starting to get much much better

I agree, I do sleep with my lo but he is always placed back in his cot as I feel myself drifting off. This is how we have the cot set up. As you can see it's pushed right up to my side of the bed with the dropside down so putting him in and out is really quick and easy for night feeds. Once he's close to rolling the side will have to go up but for now it works :)

uploadfromtaptalk1373798031161.jpg

tapatalkin

It's hard work Dani but he just wants the one person he knows & recognises. O was the same but at some point it all started to come together & settle down. Put your feet up, enjoy the snuggles & get OH to wait on you hand & foot. :) It won't last forever. -hug-

Dani hun I fee your pain I'm in the same boat at mo. Matthew will be 2 weeks tomorrow and it takes ages to get him to go down after a feed day or night unless lying on my or sometimes hubbys chest. The tips from the girls are good. I downloaded a free app called sleep baby sleep it has womb sounds noah might like. Matthew will only settle if swaddled as well. Hang in there I'm sure we will both get there xxxx

Omg Dani you've had your baby!!! :D
Haven't been on in a while so obv missed your thread!
Congrats.. At last and he's super gorgeous!! :D

My LO does this now, although I had no trouble at first.
She'll only settle on one of us..
In our instance its looking to be cause she goes like lying flat
So I've gotta app with docs cause HV said it may be silent reflux
So best thing to do is get MW to check for piece of mind
But may just be he's so used to Mummy and needs more time to settle xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members