Cleft lip / palate

Bethi

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of a baby with a cleft?

I realise that as birth 'defects' go, it's not the end of the world, and the reconstructive surgery is now very sophisticated, BUT: I am worried sick about this.

When I had my 12w scan (at 13w pregnant), one of the photos is of the baby looking directly at you - you know, the alien shot. You can see its eye sockets, nose bones, then where the roof of the mouth should be, there is a gap. A very obvious gap in the bright white bone.

I have been worrying for the last few weeks (I didn't notice at the scan, or I would have asked). I googled, and apparently, the roof of the mouth etc should be all closed over by 11w.

I am worried sick, and the other day I booked a 16w gender scan - I am desperate to find out the gender, but mainly because I want to check out baby's face. I will go out of my mind if I have to wait another month for my 20w scan. So my gender scan is tomorrow evening and I should know soon. I am mega worried, and would like to know if any of you ladies have experienced something like this?

I'll try to add the scan pic in a min.

Last edited:
I haven't personally but my friend has triplets and one of her boys had cleft palate. It was quite big. He had the op when he was a baby and looking at him u wouldn't know he looks great. He has another op to have for roof of his mouth but there waiting till hes older for that. He 3 now. It's amazing what they can do now. It understandable to be worried though. Hope u enjoy ur scan tomorrow xx

Thank you for replying. Did they notice it on his 12w scan?

Here is the pic:

Attachments

• IMG_1392 (2).jpg
    IMG_1392 (2).jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 82
I haven't had any experience but someone I work with has, I know there's different levels of severity etc and I believe here was quite high up there but he's has 2 ops and you can hardly tell at all. It's amazing what they can do these days. Hope all is ok tomorrow xx

hi there

i wouldnt worry to much hun over a cleft palate, they are actuallt quite common these days and very easily corrected by surgery, did you not ask the person who scanned you if could tell the baby was going to have a cleft palate or is it something that makes it look that way on the scan? xx

I believe it was the 20 week scan when they noticed it as they didn't even know they were having triplets till then. x

the scan just looks like babys mouth is open and not a cleft palate xx

My mum and her twin have a cleft palate and so they were thorough in checking for it with lo and my scans. They couldn't tell until 20 weeks. I think they would have said something if they had thought there is a chance of cleft palate.

tapatalking x

Thank you girls.
All this worrying is horrible.

I didn't ask the sonographer at the 12w scan, as I didn't notice on the screen, only when I came home and studied the pics x

ive looked at your scan and i dont think its cleft palate hunni, i just think the babies mouth is open, plys at 12wks the roof of a babies mouth would only be tissue so it wouldnt be visable on screen as an ultra sound will only detect bone, so stop panicing and relax :)

if you google a cleft palate baby ultra sound scan its very obvious to see a cleft palate at the bone from the jaw goes up into the nose and yours doesnt xx

Last edited:
My daughther had a cleft platate and lip and they didnt pick it up until 20 weels wen they pocked up the rest of her problems and i had had 3 scan vefore that aswell one at 9 weeks one at 11 weeks and one at nearly 13 weeks so i reli dont think they can pick it up at 12 week scan xxxx

my sons scan picture was like yours and he doesnt have a cleft.

My lil one was born on 11.5.13 and she had cleft lip and palate and its not as bad as it sounds if my little one had survived they said it would of been a quick and easy operation and cannot notice any scars etc when they grow older. i wouldnt worry about it until you know for sure if your bubs has got cleft lip and palate as my friends baby got told she was gonna be born with cleft lip and palate but she wasnt she was born perfectly normal x

it dosent look like a cleft palate to me hun

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.
I have had the scan, and the lady said the lip is perfectly formed - had a quick peep in 3D too, and all is well. Baby was smiling - like a newborn with wind :eek:)

Thank you all again - I was in a right panic last night, and worried all day long.

Gladvthe ladies have been able to offer some really good advice, sounds like it really is mire commen nowadays than i thought, its amazing what they can do now isnt it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back