'claiming' baby names!

positivity :)

Reaction score
Well my little man has been here for 5 days now and is still nameless.

We finally decided on a strong possibility and I mentioned it to one friend who told my other friend. Now this other friend has text me this morning to say that's 'her name' as its her boyfriends grandads name and her boyfs mum has her heart set on it!!! She's about 4-5 years off even having a baby! She said 'use it if I want, she doesn't mind' :shock: err thanks lol!

So bloody annoying! Xx

Awww balls!!!! I kept my names secret from friends for fear of that happening. What will u do? Xx

I really don't know, what do you think? Would it be mean for me to still use it!? It's William by the way :love: xx

We have our heart on William too !!!

I couldn't care less about a friend wanting to name her son William too...I am first, she can be my guest if she wants to name her son William .

I would sent her a. Message. We decided on the name William, I know you like it too, you cna use it, I don't mind lol....

I wouldn't ask permission from anyone to name my child. I mean really? Who she thinks she is?

Last edited:
Its not guaranteed she will have children or even if she does,a boy.I say ignore her

That too....tell me about the pain of getting a BFP, never mind to be a boy too....

Hahaha when I read this I was expecting it to become unusual name... But William! Please find me one British person who oestrogen have a William knocking about! Your friend is crazy, ignore her!

William is on my list and on a friend's list and another friend actually used William!

It's a popular name in all generations and has a million and one (four) nicknames for it so it doesn't seem that popular because one will use William, another will use Will, another will use Bill, etc

It's hilarious that someone would even attempt to "claim" it - maybe she was joking but it was a bit too close to home for you to see it?

I hope you decide soon, poor tot being nameless :(

Last edited:
Just ignore them pos! Use william if it's what you want. It's your baby and your choice! Lovely name by the way x

In Greece we don't give names until the christianizing ceremony thats when the LO is about 8 month old :p until then we call the, cute pie or things like that lol. Name chooses are much easier and boring....as kids get the name of the grandma( from moms family ) if its a girl and from the grandpa ( from dads family ) if its a boy. That's all ....for the first born ofc, for the second LO you give it the name of the grandparents that they weren't named with the first one.... It's considered a great honor for the parents that raised you to give their name to their grandchildren...

We also only have one name for our LOs no middle names.

Thanks god we moved in Norway ANSI d t have o follow the Greek tradition and name my kid wit names that I don't really like lol.

Last edited:
Thanks girls! We didn't ever seriously consider William, it was gonna be Seth but now he's here he looks quite traditional English which is why we now have William or probably will. Xx

William was on our list too, until I thought people might shorten in the future to billy or bill and I didn't like that.

I defo think choose whatever name you want, people don't own names and from what you say they're not even trying for a baby.

And it's not like you knew and got the idea from them anyways.

I really like the name seth too, my bff's brothers name is zeth (her mum wanted names that began with z and couldn't think of a boys so swapped the s in seth for a z lol, but I really like it)

I totally forgot to say congratulations as well :wall2: Big congrats to you hun xxx

My friend claimed the name Harry when she had her little girl as she said she wanted it if she had a boy!i was the first to have a boy so avoided it (it's also quite common round here) and I settled on my Grandads middle name as lo's name!

Oh tell her to stuff it up her jumper. She can't keep a name in potentia. If you want to call him William do so. Your son is here now where as her baby doesn't even exist yet. Any name is fair game as far as I am concerned. Really annoys me when someone bagsies names.

At the end of the day names are free for anyone to choose and so what if you and your friend end up having sons with the same name It's no biggie iykwim.

I think it's unfair that she has laid it on you like she has. She could've just said, nice choice, that's what I'm gona call my son cos of such and such.

I'll be totally gutted if I heard of another Avery near me mind :lol: but I wouldn't be hung up on it or say owt.

I would reply to her saying, "Awk that's a lovely thing to do, it's such a lovely name. We have great taste in names and it'll be really nice for our sons to have a great name". Leave it at that and name your son William. If she takes the huff well then that's being totally out of order and childish IMO.

Hard situation to be in though :hug:

Good luck x

Last edited:
That's just silly :) go for it! Or you might always regret it!

She's being ridiculous! Go for it honey, it's a lovely name :)

Totally go for it! It's not like she's made the name up herself or it's REALLY rare - it's a beautiful classic. Imagine if you picked something else then in future she doesn't have a boy or has one and likes a different name then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back