Christmas coming & no getting merry.......!

mandspice

Reaction score
How is everyone going to handle the no drinking at Xmas?? I don't want to tell people until at least 12 weeks this time but it's gonna be a difficult time of year to keep a secret, with Xmas, New Year's Eve (and my birthday in Jan!). Any ideas?

Is anyone still drinking? Last time I'd have a couple of glasses of wine a week but this time I'm tee-total, too paranoid something will go wrong again!

Oh yes I'm really struggling with this. I'm completely tee total as i just don't want to risk it and i want to give my bean the best possible start. But before my BFP i was quite a big drinker :oops: :oops: so everyone is noticing. I was always known as the girl that loved a good drink and getting very very merry and i just know everyone is gonna guess over xmas.

My first test was this weekend we had a works residential over night stay in Newcastle and we always all have a drink in the bar and when i wasn't drinking every one was really suspicious the MD even looked at my tummy when i ordered a diet coke! And that before we get to all the xmas and new year party's

So i just know everyone will guess by xmas so i'm going to announce it just before if my bean has stuck it out till then!

LMP x

Its so hard though isn't it!

I’m the same, I love a few drinks and a good night out and the next 3 weekends are full of Xmas parties…..I suppose I’ll have to use the old antibiotics excuse but I am sure people will see through that!

One good thing tho - no hangovers! :D

Why don't you stock up on non alcoholic wine/beer? Becks a/f isn't too bad (and I don't even like beer!). There is a n/a wine called Fre and that's quite nice - the White Zinfandel - although they do red and white too. In Sainsbos they also have their own sparking non alcoholic version of wine.

I was just thinking about this very issue today. I'll be spending xmas with DH's family and they always have a champagne toast. I really don't want to tell them at xmas "just in case" so I'm not sure what I'll do about drinking.

Probably I'll just pretend to sip and then tip it down DH's throat when they aren't looking. :rotfl:

Im sure you will all be fine, you could say you are on antibiotics for a urine infection or something like that which they wont really want to talk about and will be an easy way out, or as quil said pretend to sip at a drink and pour some into DH's whilst no ones looking but this way he might end up very merry!

Perhaps when visiting family you can always make your own drink and just have coke whilst claiming to have something and coke.

I was thinking this with my family the other day and thought of bringing a bottle of my fave drink perviously emptied and filled with something else the problem being if anyone else asks to have some!

I'm really struggling with this too - my work "do" and a few social occasions, it's ging to be quite difficult to avoid everyone knowing. I have arranged to be "driving" to some events, claiming all sorts of excuses for having to bring the car :fib: but I don't think it is going to work. I went to a fortune teller for a bit of fun and she told me I was pregnant. Stupidly, I announced this in work and said she was a complete fraud - this being the evidence. Except a week later I found out she was right! Without knowing, work are still teasing me about it - as soon as I order lemonade, they are definitely going to guess. Oh well. The fortune teller also predicted a boy, so we'll see how good she really was!!!

Penstraze said:
Perhaps when visiting family you can always make your own drink and just have coke whilst claiming to have something and coke.

I was thinking this with my family the other day and thought of bringing a bottle of my fave drink perviously emptied and filled with something else the problem being if anyone else asks to have some!

I was thinking about doing this with vodka, just fill the bottle up with water instead but if someone asks for some then it will be obvious lol

Or buying a cheap version of WKD and filling it up with bubble gum flavour pop :lol: I suppose that could work, even if someone else asks to have some because with it being a cheap copy they won't be expecting it to taste exactly like WKD anyway :lol: lol

It's hard isn't it cos people aren't silly and if a woman of child-bearing age who normally drinks and smokes suddenly stops they start putting 2+2 together! I guess the best thing is to think of a story, ie antibiotics, and stick to it - and let people speculate...!

I'm hoping to see a clairvoyant soon too, never been before, but, although it sounds silly, I'd like some reassurance about this pregnancy.

Im used to not drinking at xmas now, as i havnt had a drink at xmas for 4 years

I drank sometimes in my other pregnancies - not in the first 3 months though, didn't feel like it anyhow, but I don't want to take any risks with this one after what happened to me last time so I think it'll be none alcoholic wine this Christmas.

I'm a bit concerned about this weekend coming up as we're spending it with OH's parents who don't know (and I don't think are going to be particularly happy, at least to begin with, as I've had several comments over the last couple of years about 'the disadvantages' of having another one). I'd rather wait until after my scan at 12 weeks really (and would rather them find out when we're not staying with them in case they're funny) so I'm a bit stuck as to what to do when they offer me a drink!!!

Think I am going to use the 'I'm taking treatment for 'women's things' excuse so they don't ask anymore questions - ha ha.

Ha ha good idea Diasyrose. say that and wait for the awkwardness! :oops: :oops:

My problem is i work with all women and 15 of us are out for xmas party next week. I swear the minute i say 'im driving' ill have let the cat out of the bag! Im toying with the idea of not going as i dont want them to know yet.

xx

Hi,

I'd recommend the old antibiotic excuse for the work doos!! It really depends on how well you know everyone though - they may just guess, especially if they're women!!!

I'm really dreading this weekend to be honest! I am a really bad liar and if they ask me outright I will have to tell them!! They're not as direct as my family though so I think I'll use the medication excuse which isn't strictly a lie as I think I'll be using something for thrush after the docs on Friday - ha ha!!! Hopefully they won't ask too many questions if I use the 'women's problems excuse! At least we've got the jolly little girls to break up the awkwardness!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back