Christening etc - What did you do?

littlemonkey

Reaction score
Did anyone have just a christening or little ceremony without a big massive do afterwards?

I really want to get LO christened asap, but I'm honestly not bothered about any kind of party afterwards. I'd be quite happy if it was our families only and then we went for a meal. OH on the other hand wants a big party and basically a p**s up, which at the moment we can't afford. And probably won't be able to until baby is 25!

Anyone got any ideas about what to do without spending a fortune?

PS - We don't really have room at our house for people to come round

Was just about to say we had the baptism and then a BBQ.

A local restaurant for close friends & family or if oh gets his way you could always hire out a church hall or community center as they are cheap. Have finger food and buy the drinks. We went to Costco and we bought food and drink for 50 people and it came to £200, so not too bad.

Xxx

I just wanted O christened ASAP. He was christened at 4 weeks old. I just made lots of buffet type food....hot & cold. Everyone came back to the house afterwards but didn't overstay their welcome.

My lo is getting christened next month. We have hired out a room but its not costing much. Have had family and friends offer to do food/decorations/cake etc... All in all it's gonna actually cost us about £150 including mine and her outfit!

I had a namimg ceremony for my girl. Apart from the snow attempting to prevent evweuone from getting there, we had a perfect day. My lovely pf bump buddy came hundreds of miles and that was just so lovely of her. We had the ceremony in a function room of a local pub. My mum done the buffet and made her cake (although that is her business) I bought her outfit in the sale and our friend took pics and another videod it all. We had lots of balloons which were expensive but they gave the kids something to play with at the end. We had a finger print tree for the people there to leave their print and name beside. And I also had a wish jar for her guests to write little cards and post in a terracota pot for when she is 18. I picked up bits and bobs for a few months before the party and spread the cost that way. Our parents were wonderful and helped out so much.

What ever you do will be special to you so I wouldnt worry about spending lots. Its about celebrating your lo and having a lovely day with your family xx

tapatalking

I dont like big wedding christenings I think its not the point, I did ours at the wmc after a dj some foodd and balloons and that was it loved the day! X

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

We had christening in a normal church service (think that's the norm in Scotland anyway). With about 20ish family invited.

Then basically put on a massive buffet in the church hall for he congregation - but we did that because MIL & FIL are both elders in the church we attend, and we had so many wonderful gifts from people at church, that it just seemed a nice idea to include everyone iykwim.

Dunno what we'll do this time as church hall is currently out of bounds!

I dont like big wedding christenings I think its not the point, I did ours at the wmc after a dj some foodd and balloons and that was it loved the day! X

This is how I feel! I gave in with our wedding and had the big day which was nice. But with our son's christening I don't see the point!

We had christening in a normal church service (think that's the norm in Scotland anyway). With about 20ish family invited.

Then basically put on a massive buffet in the church hall for he congregation - but we did that because MIL & FIL are both elders in the church we attend, and we had so many wonderful gifts from people at church, that it just seemed a nice idea to include everyone iykwim.

Dunno what we'll do this time as church hall is currently out of bounds!

I think we can do either here in Wales. This is another argument cos OH wants him christened in the Church we were married which is in England and now we live over the border Wales!

The sad thing is the revarand said they had loads cancel there christening because they couldnt afford the after do! I was like really! is it the point? If you have loads of spare cash to blow fine but i just think its a christening its not ment to be a big show. If you cant afford who cares just have the church do, go to a free venue and put some sandwiches out. Some people even have favours for there christening and i just think its so tacky. Yes have a party and a good time but really you would be more Christian saving the money on extras and giving it to the church, i think some people go ott One lass had a big do with a four tier cake etc and loads of people called it the 'big fat gypsy christening' --she wasnt a gypsy just tacky as anything xx

I do think too many people do it for the party now which is a shame

The sad thing is the revarand said they had loads cancel there christening because they couldnt afford the after do! I was like really! is it the point? If you have loads of spare cash to blow fine but i just think its a christening its not ment to be a big show. If you cant afford who cares just have the church do, go to a free venue and put some sandwiches out. Some people even have favours for there christening and i just think its so tacky. Yes have a party and a good time but really you would be more Christian saving the money on extras and giving it to the church, i think some people go ott One lass had a big do with a four tier cake etc and loads of people called it the 'big fat gypsy christening' --she wasnt a gypsy just tacky as anything xx

I do think too many people do it for the party now which is a shame

Red bear, you have summed up exactly how I feel! I know people do like to have a celebration of baby's birth and that's fine, but I don't think a christening is the time or place.

I'm having favors, a 3 tier cake and donating to our church and IMO it's not tacky at all. Quite offensive to say so really.

I had favours too. I made them. Didn't cost anything really. Certainly didn't look tacky and was in keeping with tradition.

If you want it and can afford it go for a nice big party.
If you want it and can't afford it then cut back.
If you don't want anything after then don't have it.

Each to their own!

We had the Baptism and afterwards everyone has tea and coffee in the church hall so we just took lots of cakes for everyone (we are regular members of the church anyway) I had a lady who is part of the congregation make me a cake big enough to give 115 people a slice and cost me £15!
Afterwards we took close family and godparents put for dinner it was really nice and personal

I'm having a small naming ceremony for Evan in a few weeks. We ate using a band hall for free, my family are making a few cakes and the only cost is the official doing the ceremony who is a family friend.

I needed a positive welcome into the world for Evan, so the ceremony is more for my benefit than a party. We can't afford a big do and haven't got many guests.

I didnt mean to offend I personally find the big dos ive seen tacky its just my personal view like weddings some people like different to me. I like the ones that are more about the service less about the party but each to there own. I just dont think people should cancel if they cant afford the party when its not important because I dont like the big do's anyway (big as in trying to be a wedding) xx

I had favours too. I made them. Didn't cost anything really. Certainly didn't look tacky and was in keeping with tradition.

If you want it and can afford it go for a nice big party.
If you want it and can't afford it then cut back.
If you don't want anything after then don't have it.

Each to their own!

I made my 75 favours too. Little bags of hand made tablet with tags and bows. And I sat and essembled 35 sweetie cones for the kids. All with their names on. All the tags were hand written and said "with love Daisy Grace" and I stuck tiny polka dot buttons to them. Took me hours. My lovely bump buddy and her hubby and I sat like elfs in a sweetie factory putting the adult favours together. The amount of people that told me it was a lovely touch made it worth while. And the kids were chuffed with their sweetie cones cause they had their name on. So not tacky at all. Xx

tapatalking

I can appreciate that people want to have the big party to celebrate their little one, but personally this is not why I want to have a christening. I want my son to be baptised and welcomed into my faith. I just know if I didn't have a party afterwards a lot of friends would be upset/annoyed/offended cos the expectation now is you have the big do afterwards.

I don't think they're tacky but Personally I would never have favours after my wedding. I spent a fortune on getting mini cadbury dairy milks and my OH spent a whole Sunday afternoon putting them all in the bags. Just for us to leave them at home! Doh! No one noticed or cared! There's a lot of things I look back on with our wedding and I just feel a bit like what was the bloody point?! It was the greatest day of my life cos I married the love of my life, not cos my dress cost £1k, or that we had a purple colour scheme. I just think it's easy to lose sight of why we do these things sometimes.

I'd probably end up getting a big cake though, but that's just cos mummy likes cake :lol:

Yeh im the same with my wedding, looking back why did I even care that the colour of the ribbon had to match the flowers etc etc, now im like does it really matter I don't even remember most of what I worried about. Although im sure some thought mine wasn't there cup of tea because we didn't do a sit down meal I liked it, everyone likes different the one im talking about everyone was saying 'omg its too much' but that was very big (like big fat gypsy wedding style) but some people like that, its just my taste is different. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back