Cheeses!

prickleyfairy

Reaction score
Hi,

I love cheese....goats and camember (sp?) are 2 of my favs......so have found it hard to stop eating these cheeses. Was just confused as to weather you can still eat.....parmasan, motzarella, feta and ricotta during pregnancy.

Thanks

Amy

u cant have mozerella! i duno about the others xxxxxxxxxxxxx

U can't eat feta either, I am really missing my cheeses too!!

Xxx

i heard you can eat mozerella.. i was watching health and house the other day.. they said it was okay.... now i'm worried because i ate it yesterday! Has anyone heard anything different?

I was told to keep away from blue cheese, soft cheeses.. the hard cheeses are okay... is this true? i'm a cheese lover! miss my strong gorgonzola...

but id love some advise on mozeralla?????

x

I must admit, what cheeses you can eat is really confusing.

I've read that you shouldn't eat cheeses with a rind on such as brie, camambert etc..nor should you have cheeses like stilton.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/agesan ... pregnancy/ - Here's a good link to have a look at

I love cheeses, it's hard to give that up.

Hi Hayley

Don't worry about eating the mozarella, I too ate some before realising that you couldn't!! I stopped at one of the petrol garages and grabbed a mozarella and tomato sandwich only ate half then realised that there was mayo in (another thing to cut out!) so threw the rest away.

I must admit it is confusing what to eat and what not to eat.

Xxx

You can eat mayo from Jars, it's just the homemade stuff you can't eat. Can't stand the stuff myself, so no loss there.

December issue of Pregnancy & Birth had a good article on this topic.

Thanks for the replies girls.........good to know that i'am not the only one missing my cheese! At least i still have my strong cheddar!! As for motzarella......what about having it on pizza??

xx

i'm still not sure about motzerella as the program I heard it on was an actual pregnancy program and they said it was fine... none of the magazine or internet articles i've read mention motzerella... i think the best bet is to just leave it alone....

wish the information was much more clearer...

mayo made with pasturised eggs is okay... i noticed my favourite cesear dressing was made with egg (not pasturised) gutted!!! but sainsburys saved the day.. their own brand is made with pastrised egg...

x

I read that mozerella on pizza is fine as it is cooked and that feta is ok if purchased in this country.

this info is from babycentre.co.uk

cheeses which are SAFE to eat in pregnancy

Hard cheeses: Austrian Smoked, Babybel, Caerphilly, Cheddar, Cheshire, Derby, Double Gloucester, Edam, Emmental, English goat's cheddar, Feta (if bought in the UK), Gouda, Gruyere, Halloumi, Havarti, Jarlsberg, Lancashire, Mozzarella, Orkney, Paneer, Parmesan, Pecorino (hard), Provolone, Red Leicester.

Soft and processed cheeses: Boursin, cottage cheese, cheese spread, cream cheese, Mascarpone, Philadelphia, Quark, Ricotta.

Yoghurts, fromage frais, soured cream and creme fraiche — any variety, including natural, flavoured and biologically active — are all safe to eat.

Cheeses to AVOID in pregnancy

Mould-ripened soft cheeses: Brie, Blue Brie, Cambozola, Camembert, Chaumes, Pont L'Eveque, Prince Jean, Tallegio. Vacherin-Fribourgeois, Weichkaese.

Blue-veined cheeses: Bavarian Blue, Bergader, Bleu d'Auvergne, Blue Shropshire, Cabrales, Danish Blue, Dolcelatte, Doppelrhamstuge, Eldel pilz, Gorgonzola, Manchego, Romano, Roncal, Roquefort, Stilton, Tommes, Wensleydale (blue).

Soft unpasteurised goat and sheep's cheeses: Chabichou, Pyramide, Torta del Cesar.[/b]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back