Cheap ways to sterilize?

babsi

Reaction score
This wasn't a cost I was having to anticipate but since buying a breast pump because I realised the benefits of having a good night's sleep once in a while and also going out I can feed him with the expressed milk I now realise I need a sterilizer kit.

What is the cheapest way to do this?

Have you thought of looking on ebay for a steam sterilizer, bet you could get a bargain on there!
love Lucy xx

The cheapest way to sterilize is to boil the bottles,etc. Take a pot, put in the goodies that need sterilizing, cover with water, bring to boil and simmer for 20 min. Wha-lah!!! Cheap and effective.....
Emilia xx :wink:

Yep boiling on the cooker is the cheapest, your probably already have a pan so that's all you need :)

Hi

I was in the supermarket yesterday and saw Sterilising tablets - these were made by Milton. 24 tablets cost £1.99 and it said you needed 1 tablet per 5 litres (which i think is like a bucket of water) - has anyone used this method of sterilising rather than steam/water?

Thanks

Lucy
28 + 5

Yep I have, but bottles never seemed as sterilised as when boiled. Maybe just me because of cold water!!
Emilia xx

Maybe it sounded like a stupid question now thinking about it, but when you really don't know too much and you go into shops and see all these kits it gets a little confusing.

Now for some more stupid lol questions:

1.I already got 1 bottle with my breast pump kit and was wondering how many more I need? (I am only feeding him when I am out which probably won't be too much because of the bad weather here when he is born, and my husband will feed him the occasional night so I can have a good night's sleep)
2.What creams, oils, shampoo, baby bath do you really need?
3.When should you buy the nursing bras and how many do you need?

[quote="babsi"

1.I already got 1 bottle with my breast pump kit and was wondering how many more I need? (I am only feeding him when I am out which probably won't be too much because of the bad weather here when he is born, and my husband will feed him the occasional night so I can have a good night's sleep)
2.What creams, oils, shampoo, baby bath do you really need?
3.When should you buy the nursing bras and how many do you need?[/quote]

Hiya babsi, in answer to your questions
1.once you steralise a bottle you need to fill it with milk or water asap then if not using it for feeding immediatly you can refridgerate them for up to 24 hours. if not used within that time you will need to throw it away. So its best to work out how many bottles you will want to give within a 24 hour period. Noah feeds every 4 hours so I make up 6 bottles a day every evening.
2.We had a talk on the topic of baby products at our baby group last week. Aparently you dont need any creams or cleaning products for your baby water alone cleans them fine, if your baby has dry skinor your want to use baby massage you are best off using cold pressed sunflower oil, as baby oils from johnson and johnson/Aven etc are all mineral based and do not absorb into the skin at all.
3.you can buy nursing barsa while still pregnant after 37weeks, as by this point your bump will have droped from your ribcage, so you can be acuratly measured, as for how many you need, well you will be wearing breast bads so as long as you dont leak through them you should be just changing your bras just as much as you used to.

Hope this helps!

I agree with Cat.
I had around 6 biggish bottles and a couple of small Avent ones for water.
I'm not using any lotions and potions on new baby. Olive oil is brilliant and a little less refined than sunflower oil though - see which one you like. You can invest in a little bottle of lavender aromatherapy oil and add a drop to a cap full of oil to rub into baby's skin.
Your little bunny is going to be so happy!!!
Emilia xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back