Charlotte Neve.

Allie_B

Reaction score
Hi ladies.
I'm posting on behalf of my fiance Allie. She asked me today to put this in here as although she's not been a big contributor with posting (she's a bit of a technophobe), she has gained a lot of insight and help from all your posts of the last nine months. My name is Jase by the way. I'm the proud and happy dad.

Due date was 28/01, I had been on nightshift and was in McDonalds friday morning (20/01) getting a large latte when my mum phoned to tell me she thought Allie was in labour.
My mate and the two girls behind the counter said my face was a picture.
My mum said she had phoned the maternity unit and they'd said take it easy as Allie had only started contractions at 05.30 and she'd be nowhere near ready to come in.
I got home at 09.45 and Allie was just getting into a nice warm bath.
I noticed she'd had her show (in the toilet) and her contractions were coming pretty thick and fast. More of the show appeared after her bath and I decided to time the contractions.
They were coming every 50 - 60 seconds or so and lasted anywhere from 40 - 80 seconds.
Hmmm, that's a hit close from what I'd read. Another call to the maternity unit and they still said to not worry. Get her to eat and drink something, then just take your time, don't stress out and come in to be assessed.
It was just gone 11.30, so I stalled in a bit cos since I'd got her to use her birthing ball, the contractions although still the same duration and the same time apart, they weren't causing her as much pain as before. Allie said at one point she could feel a wet running sensation and thought maybe her waters had gone. No sign from outside her clothing that they had though.
We eventually headed to the hospital and got there for around 14.00. Two wonderfully brilliant midwives (one a young trainee) put our minds at rest, told us to take it easy. Allie was still getting pretty strong contractions and started to ask for maybe a bit of pain relief. She's only had two paracetamols the whole time.
She was assessed and found to be fully dilated. We were is shock. Not least me. I'd seen upteen programs and read so much on these first stages of labour, so expected her to be shouting the house down. Not a shout, yell, scream or anything.
From start to full dilation on two paracetamols :eh::eh: and no screaming. Not what I'd read it to be.
We hadn't even brought any of her hospital bag in from the car (Why is Durham University hospitals carpark such a MASSIVE distance from the maternity unit????)
She was moved from the assessment room to a labour room and started pushing about 45 mins later. All she had was gas and air because she was fully dilated they couldn't give her anything else.
She pushed for one hour. If someone had come in and asked her to push the hospital 5 foot to the west, she would have done it.
It was noted that the babies heartbeat was becoming a little slow to rise back up to normal after each contraction/push, so a consultant was asked to take a look.
Seems little baby was a little to eager to start to make her way down and out, and her head was sideways and angled back a bit. If she'd have come out like that, she have been born face first.
Quick blood sample taken from the top of head, then off to theatre for a spinal block to be ready for the use of forceps and/or ventouse.
I was left outside after getting changed theatre clothes while the spinal block went in, then asked to come in and be with her as they started.
The plan was to use the forceps to ease little baby back up, turn her a bit and back down and out.
Allie commenced to push again (this time enough pushing to tilt the earth on it axis by a few degrees) little baby still was having none of it.
Out came the ventouse and with the use of the forceps at the same time, little 6lb 14oz Charlotte Neve Armitage came into our world at 18.43 on 20/01/2012. The theatre was absolutely sure Allie was having a 20lb elephant from the effort of getting her to make an appearance.
Allie and Charlotte will be home today (Sunday).
I went on a little shopping yesterday (Saturday) and bought Allie a ring. SHE SAID YES. :dance::dance:

You girls...................how the hell you do what you do? I will never understand.
This was THE single most traumatic thing I've ever been through (also the most magical)

My hat goes of to every single one of you marvelous ladies. From what I saw yesterday, NO man could do that................EVER.

From myself and Allie, thanks for this forum and all the contributors. You are one of a kind.

Charlotte Neve;

imag0241y.jpg

:) such a nicely written post, and great to read it from a mans perspective! Congratulations to you both, both with the baby and the engagement :D can't get much better than that :)

What a wonderful birth story, do nice to see it written by daddy too :)
Congratulations- beautiful name for a beautiful girl x

Congratulations I'm glad they are both well lovely photo & story x

Congratulations to you and your fiancé, she is gorgeous! Lovely to hear it from a dads perspective too! X

Last edited:
Aww lovely to see it from a daddys point of view! Congrats to you both she is beautiful xx

Oh congratulations to you both, that had me shedding a little tear! Lovely :)

Congratulations!! For both bits of amazing news! She's lovely well done!

Oh that made me cry with happiness! Congrats xxxx

Wow made me teary congratualtions to you both on the birth of your beautiful daughter XX

Awwww Congratulations to you and Allie !!!

What a beautiful baby girl!!

xx

What a beautiful story :)
Congratulations to the two of you, and congratulations on the big Yes!!
Hope all is well with mom and baby xx

Congrats on such a beautiful baby and on your engagement. Made me shed a tear - so nice to hear a bloke's side!!! lol

Awww what a lovely birth story...congratulations to you all xx

She's gorgeous!!

Congratulations, she,s so sweet. And congrats on your engagement, such a lovely post xx

Hi ladies.
First off thanks to everyone on here for the comments. Means soo much.
Thanks to my fiancee for the birth story, couldn't have put it any better myself.

Sorry for no updates, been a lil busy, lol.
Charlotte is doing great now. She had problems at first with breast feeding (any feeding to be honest) Midwife spotted a small tongue tie, so a week later off we went to the RVI in Newcastle and a short snip later, her tongue is now fine and she's feeding great.
She is now (11 weeks later) weighing in at 12lb 2oz so we must be doing something right.
Nearly sleeping through the night already, lots of smiles and cooing, her dad seems to be able to have long conversations with her. (always thought he would be good at baby talk............sorry if you read this Jase, lol)

As for the actual birth..................hell what a trauma. Seven (yes seven) failed attempts with the forceps and then the use of the ventouse which popped off a couple of times. I was minutes away from a cesarean. All forgotten now though. The adage that you soon forget in most true. Would do it all again at the drop of a hat. Alas I feel we are both a little too old for another, though if it happens, it happens.
Yup, Jase asked the day after the birth if I would marry him. What? of course, why'd it take you so long to ask?.
He wanted to go down on one knee, but the bed was to high and I'd have just been able to see the top of his head, lol.

Here's a few more pictures and a youtube link to her Grandma (Jase's mum) making her laugh) Soooo cute.

[sorry if these are considered to be in the wrong forum, not sure where to put them]

Youtube >>>> http://youtu.be/ksRb3UfZNRI

imag0249u.jpg

imag0250n.jpg

imag0278e.jpg

imag0258s.jpg

gedc1528.jpg

gedc1531r.jpg

Our little Easter bunny;

imag0338rz.jpg

Congratulations. Such a beautiful and happy baby! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online