Changing the spelling of DD name after 5 months?

MamaJay

Reaction score
Hi all, :wave::wave::wave:
I've made an error, a big one. When looking into names I found what I believed to be my perfect name. I named her Tahlie however, I chose a different form of spelling- people keep pronouncing it as Tarrrrrr-lie. The correct way is Tally. Obviously the 'h' is the problem....soooo regretting it now! :shock:

I've booked in with registrar to change the spelling. Apparently you can change a baby's name completely no problem BEFORE 12 months. I'm changing it from Tahlie to Tallie (Tally, Tali or Tallie is the official way.)

Question is, am I making the right choice? I feel bad shes 5 months old and don't want to be judged?

She's only 5 months old sweet. It's not as if she's aware of the spelling yet. I think I'd do the same as you, it'd really bother me. On the other hand, a lot of people wouldn't care and would just continue correcting the people who pronounce it wrong xx

I read it and pronounced it Tally xx

Yes I would change it or she's going to have people pronouncing her name wrong for her whole life... With the silent H I would pronounce it wrong xxx

If you want to change it, do. I'm constantly having to explain it's not Malak-eye or Mala-chee or any other stupid pronunciation, it's Mala-kee. I would have said your lg's Tallie but honestly, it's not hard for people to ask is it!!! Sorry, it's a serious bug bear of mine.

I dont understand how the H turns to an R though?

If the H is silent, and effectively not there then it reads Talie. With no R in it at alll?

Personally if it was literally everyone doing it I may consider it, but for the sake of a few people I wouldnt, you shouldnt need to correct their error :lol: your not the one pronouncing it wrong.

Ive heard of thousands of names being pronounced wrongly. Usually its just a simple "its pronounced like.. and move on" but I dont have this issue, so might not see it as annoying as you.

I dont see anything terribly wrong with changing the spelling if its the same name either.

Good luck.

xxxx

It's not quite the same, but our daughter is Eleanor, pronounced Elean-a, but some people pronounce it Elean-or, which is a perfectly acceptable way of saying it, just not the way we pronounce it. It never even occurred to me to change it. Our daughter is old enough now to correct other people, which she does very pointedly until they get the idea!!! Her ballet teacher is the main culprit!

Personally I would keep the spelling the way it is, I think it's a lovely spelling. However, it's entirely up to you and your LO will never know the difference xx

I would have pronounced it tally too. It's also a bug bear of mine though. My LG is Marcie. People can't even get that right considering its how it's said how its spelt. She has been called macey, maisi, Marrrie, marlie even mercy, i mean come on how hard is it for people to read the name or even ask how it's pronounced.

Again nothing wrong with changing it if you feel the need x

Last edited:
My little boy is called Lucian. We chose to say it loo-shun but he often gets called lucy-un. We just correct people and to be honest when he is older it will be up to him what he is called. We are quite happy if he wants to be known as Luc or have a nickname like a lot of boys do. I call him little man or monster a lot of the time anyway.

If it means that much to you though then change it but do it because you want to rather than for the sake of anyone else. X

There is always someone that is going to say or spell your child's name wrong! My oldest daughter's name is Mirren, most of my family call her miriam! and she even got in trouble at a dance class for not answering when the tutor was talking to her - they were calling Miriam - so Mirren didn't know they meant her -made me so cross!

My youngest daughter is called Ettaley - the correct spelling for her name is Etholle - but I thought she would get called Ethal! lol...so I spelled it how it was said - but everytime someone asks her name -and I say Ettaley - they always look confused or say I've never heard of that before...

looks like both my girls are going to go through life explaining and correcting their names!

To be fair, when I read it I did pronounce it as Tarlee :/ if it's irritating you then definitely change it but you need to make sure you won't end up regretting it. Could it be down to geography? Bath and Barth etc. Out of the alternatives you've provided I, personally prefer Tali xx

Hi all, yes I think accent may have something to do with it. I'm from The Wirral (by Liverpool) so I tend to not pronounce the H as an R or Ahhh (Like bath and barth) . Ive found people do tend to say Tar-ley or Tahhh-ley but then other will also say Tally. Going to have a think, I don't want to put her in a situation where she feels uncomfortable purely due to one letter. :)

If change it now if you really want to, rather than regretting not changing it. I read it as Tarlie rather than Tallie tbh! Xx

Lol I don't get the R at all!!! No idea how it can be pronounced that way.

If is common in your region to mispronounce then I would maybe change it. But like others have said if is just the odd few then I would just ignore. Cos there will always be people who spell and say names wrong no matter how easy you make it for them!! X

I would have pronounced Tahlie as Tah-li
So yes, I would change the spelling now to Tallie.

At 5 months, very few people you know will have seen it written down and no one will remember a few years down the line.

PS, I also read/pronounced Kumber's son as Mala-kye (Malak-eye) because Malachi is a biblical name pronounced that way. I have never heard it pronounced Mala-kee.

Malachy is the anglicised spelling of Maoileachlainn which is the Gaelic spelling of the prophet Malachi and the Saint Malachy but is said Mala-kee. Malak-eye I can live with. Mala-chee takes the biscuit a bit :lol:

I would pronounce it as Tallie too. I think the name is not confusing and it is indeed a regional dialect thing which for me would not make enough of a reason to change it. If you'd spelt it with an R in if then yes I'd change it to Tally but I don't think you have to just because people don't pronounce it the way it's spelt?

If you do want to change I though I don't think it's a big deal at this stage to her x

I have no idea how the h would end up being pronounced as an r tbh. I think the way u have spelt it is more pretty and unusual but if it's going to drive you mad then it would be worth changing. I know how u feel because I thought my daughters name would be Amelia as it was the only name me and my partner could agree on, but every time someone asked about names and I told them they would say "a-meal-ya that's a lovely name" It was like nails to a black board for me!!! So we called her Ariana. It's definitely not as common and still a pretty name but sometimes I still think did I make the right decision because I'm sooo in decisive it's not even normal!

Last edited:
My youngests name is Erraid, it is a tiny Scottish island (we are from Scotland and live in somerset) and the way people pronounce her name varies.
We pronounce it Eh-rid. Others pronounce is urrr-rid, uhrr-raid. I'm really not bothered by it. I love her name and personally I wouldn't change it because of other mis-pronunciation X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back