Changing tables - really necessary?

FirstTimeMa

Reaction score
Hello! We've got a chest of drawers which will go in the nursery and so I don't want to have to buy a separate changing table (no space!). We've bought a changing mat. Is it fine to just put the mat onto of the chest of drawers to change the nappy? Obviously will need to keep an eye on the little one and not leave him unattended to make sure he doesn't roll/wiggle off. My OH is talking about making some sort of wooden guard to go round the top of it - do you think it's necessary? I've heard a lot of the time you end up just changing them on the floor/on your bed/wherever you are...first baby so not really sure! Was looking to see if you can just buy a seperate top to go onto normal chest of drawers to turn it into more of a changing table but haven't seen any yet. Thanks :) x

It s true you mostly change them on the floor or bed ,most of the time my little girl gets changed on the floor

I wasnt going to buy one & just have a mat for upstairs and downstairs, but it seems I have been bought one of the bath tables, so wont refuse. But wouldnt buy it myself.

I wasn't sure how much I would use my table, but I love it - and use it for every single nappy change indoors. It was only about £40 from Mothercare - but it has 2 shelves underneath - perfect for storing all nappy changing bits and pieces, muslin cloths, bath time stuff etc. I think they are definitely worth an investment.

You can also purchase cot-top changers - which sit on the rails of the cot - and are normally quite flat so you can store under the cot - I cant recommend one though, as I've never seen one in person.

Failing that, you could use a changing mat pretty much anywhere, if you don't want to spend the money or don't have the room. As long as its a clean flat and safe surface, that's all you need.

Oh - yes, if you are going to use a chest of drawers, then I would highly recommend you buying or making something that would fit around the top like a lip - just to be on the safe side! xx

I wouldn't personally just put a mat on top of a normal set of drawers.... The changing units are built with a lip and I'd def put one on your drawers. Of course you still can't leave LO for a moment.

We use our mat indoors, in-fact I'd used our mat to death and had to buy a new one recently.

xxxxxx

We started off using the floor. After 6 weeks I got fed up of downstairs looking like a changing room and made a point of changing her upstairs in her room.

My knees were absolutely killing me too, so I ended up buying a cot top changer. Best thing I did.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

i never in 9 m changed her in other place other than a changing table.
my back has enough all day without me changing her on the floor or on a bed.
as about the first weeks after delivery i could barley stand near the changing table never mind get down the floor to do it...
that was a must for us. we have 2, one upstairs and one downstairs, both very very basal and cheap from ikea, both do their job beautifully and after you are finished with them can be used as a bookcase, or to put toys etc.

Amelie knows that on the changing table it means diaper change happens and dressign and she stays still. try to dress her or change her anywhere else and she starts rolling and flipping and twisting in al directions.
we have a mirror in frnt of the changing table sort of so she can see all that happens, she has great fun lol when i brush her hair etc.

all in one if i had to decide and do ti all again i would get again 2 tables, the cheappy ones from ikea.

I wasn't going to buy a changing unit but my gran bought us a set which came with one. I had horrendous fluid retention upto my ribs and there's no way I could have bent down to change LOs nappy so it was a god send for me. To be honest, you wouldn't turn around and leave LO unattended on it so just putting the mat on the drawers would be ok, until he starts rolling anyway lol! X

I was tempted by the cot top changer but James wee's at least once a day during nappy change and it goes all over the place, I can't be doing with him peeing in his cot :shock: :lol:

xxxxxxx

we always just used mat on the floor, no danger of baby falling that way

We started with a mat on our dining table, then moved to the floor as she got heavier. I think I changed her maybe a dozen times upstairs the whole time she was in nappies. Having said that, I am considering a changing table or cot top one this time as my OH has very bad knees and cannot kneel down easily any more, and as he is the primary carer I need to think about him too.

I'll have to add that to my ebay shopping list. x

Hello! We've got a chest of drawers which will go in the nursery and so I don't want to have to buy a separate changing table (no space!). We've bought a changing mat. Is it fine to just put the mat onto of the chest of drawers to change the nappy? Obviously will need to keep an eye on the little one and not leave him unattended to make sure he doesn't roll/wiggle off. My OH is talking about making some sort of wooden guard to go round the top of it - do you think it's necessary? I've heard a lot of the time you end up just changing them on the floor/on your bed/wherever you are...first baby so not really sure! Was looking to see if you can just buy a seperate top to go onto normal chest of drawers to turn it into more of a changing table but haven't seen any yet. Thanks :) x

Hubby made a guard to go on top of a chest of drawers just like you said here and it worked fine for us.

I haven't used it much thoug, I always change him on the floor downstairs

We have a changing table that is also a bath and I use it more than I thought I would. Sometimes he just lies there getting raspberries blown on his tummy for 20 minutes lol and its nice having him so high up to change his clothes. The bath is also lovely and so easy to empty, it has a pipe underneath to just empty it. More than anything though it is excellent storage with 2 good sized shelves to put all his bits and bobs.

I did however get mine of eBay. It only cost me £30 and in perfect condition. It's a mama's and pappa's one and would have cost over £120 had I bought it new.

I would say if you have the room get one but if you don't it's not an essential x

tapatalkin

Ours is a drawer top one, and I wouldn't be without it- it's Molly's favourite place! I put wall studentship along level with it, which she loves to look at and reach for, and we play peekaboo on there for ages- we appear on different sides- she loves it! Downstairs, I have a mat on the dining room table ( don't tell my guests!) :)

A family member is giving us theirs, otherwise I would have just used my drawers xx

Yeah that should be fine that's what we were gonna do until got a 2nd cot topper thing as we got two small dogs so can't do it on floor or bed, plus if you do it in there room when you get them dressed etc you got everything there

Xx

We've got a cot top changer, it's an essential in my eyes. I have a bad back anyway so wouldn't manage one floor change so every change is done up here. Means everything is in one place, there's enough stuff all over the house anyway, would hate to add to that with nappies and wipes! Plus going up and downstairs so often is sure to help shift some baby weight!!

I would say it's an essential, we don't have one yet R is 13 weeks old and im in constant pain in my kness ad back from changing her and getting her dressed on the floor, and playin as well dont forget! in the first couple of weeks it was so painful I nearly cried a few times and her birth was fairly straightforward (no c section etc)

I'm going to buy a cot topper when I'm paid next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back