Changing careers

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
I have always wanted to do something medical oriented, when I was little it was nursing and when I left uni I wanted to train as a paramedic, however I some how ended up training as a housing officer (such is life :roll: ) Its a good job but I just dont enjoy it enough and definately dont want to do it for the rest of my life.

I was my sisters birth partner and saw my nephew being born... it was amazing. I was asking the midwifes about how they liked their jobs and one said she had been with her sister when she gave birth and decided she wanted to become a midwife. I have been thinking for a while that this is what I would love to do and I already have a biology based degree so im not a complete noob to it lol

Having just had a baby I think its an ideal time of my life to do something like this. The only problem being financial commitments. I have a mortgage and loan which are my main commitments :evil: I am definately not afraid of the hard work aspect

I want to hear from other people who have overcome this obsticle and have managed to take their career in another direction and how you found it, financially and whether it was worth it.

Hiya,

I'm sorta in the same boat as you, after having my son, I realised that I didnt want to go back to working in a boring office, I done a Business Degree which I found really boring, but I was good at it, so found it very easy, yet I hated all the jobs I had, all too repetitive.
I've just started a open learning course in Child Psychology, its sooo interesting, I am very glad I have done it. I feel like I'm actually doing something with my life for me as opposed to my son or hubby, as I'm doing it open uni way it will take a while to complete and I know I'll need 'work experience' so I'm aiming to have it completed by the time Reece is at school and any other babies I may have had are here!I'm keeping my eyes open for any part time jobs that may 'look good' as having done.
I'd definately say to go for it, you might regret it later....my midwife had a trainee with her, she was only young and had 3 kids, 9, 6 and 3 year old!! I've no idea how she had the time but she loved her job and I think thats half the battle :lol:

Good luck with you decision, you'll have to let me know how you get on

Angela xxx

Ps...sorry for the essay! :rotfl:

Thanks for yor reply. The thing that has got me thinking this again and the thing that made me write the post was an article in my local newspaper about a 28 year old woman who changed her career to become a nurse! Under the article was an advert for an open day at the university hospital for nursing and midwifery courses. So I have decided to go down and lave a look and see if there is anybody to speak to about the financial aspect. I talked to my OH and he is happy for me but like me is worried about the money side of things. But I dont think money should rule your life.

Thanks for your post, it is very inspiring :hug:

I'm sure there will be lots of people there who'll be able to advise you on the financial side/childcare etc
I remember filling out forms for bursaries when I was at Uni and nursing get a lot more grants etc than normal courses(in Scotland anyway) I'm not sure why though.
Good luck! Let me know how you get on xxx

I say go for it! I think there is a fairly generous bursary for nursing and midwifery students. If you don't have any care experience perhaps you could get a job caring for people in one way or another for a while? If you enjoy it you will know for definite you think changing your career will be worth it!
I too am kind of in the same boat - I did a history degree and found it so dull and knew I didn't want the kind of jobs my classmates were applying for. I was in St John Ambulance for two years and really enjoyed it, which confirmed that I wanted a medically-orientated career. So when I left uni I worked with both elderly people and people with learning disabilties, and applied for midwifery. Then I got pregnant and thought it was impossible, but I'm determined to achieve my dream and am applying to do nursing next year to start in 2009.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back