Cervical Stretch & Sweep

SaraLouise

Reaction score
Just a few questions to see how stretch & sweeps worked for you mummys.

How many weeks were you? Did it hurt? Did it work - if so how long after?

I've got one booked in for 38 week 5 days & am really hoping it starts me off (well I'd ideally like baby to be here before then!)

Any advice or comments would be welcomed!

I had one at 36+6, 37+6 and 38+5. The last one worked. They said my cervix was favorable at each one and they didn't hurt at all. The one at 38+5 really hurt tho and that was the one that got it properly started.

I think that if they're going to work it'll be within 24 hours of them doing it.

I had one attempted at 39 weeks and it couldn't be done. Cervix was only just opening and still fairly hard and posterior.

The next one i had was at 40+1 weeks and this one was much better. I was 2cm dilated, cervix 50% effaced and very very soft. She did a good sweep and told me she'd check the delivery notes on monday as she fully expected the sweep to work. I woke the next morning at 7.15am to my waters popping!

I didn't have pains until i was checked at the hospital, had to make sure it was waters so had an internal and was told i was 5cm! The internal set of my contractions and was on the ward by 12noon in labour!

My friend who is also 40+1 had her sweep tuesday morning, her waters broke wednesday early hours and she's currently in the home in labour as we speak. But she had to be induced last night as her contractions never started naturally.

So the do work, but only if all is favorable downstairs.

Good luck hope yours sets your labour off. x x

Ooh its good to hear successful stories!

When you Google it its just lots of ladies saying it did nothing for them!

I had one at 38+5 - I wouldn't say it hurt as such, but it was extremely uncomfortable! The nurse who did it said I wouldn't be back for another one the following week... She was right - I had him at 39+3. Whether it was the sweep or he was just ready, I don't know.

I had 3 and I didn't like any of them.
Personally I'm not sure if they work I had the first in a Monday then went into labour Thursday so a big gap then had 2 on the Thursday.
They can only do a sweep if your cervix is favourable x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back