Cervical scan

LouisecH

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Has my cervical scan today to see if my cervix is strong enough to keep the baby in. They've discovered that my cervix is 2.7cm (normal is 4cm) which is alright for now, and they're going to scan me every two weeks from now on.

I had some bleeding two days ago which worried me to death but apparently its being caused by the fact that the placenta is lying over my cervix and leaks after being 'disturbed' :lol: ahem!

Anyway it was very hard to concentrate on the seriousness of the situation because the baby was jumping around at the side of the screen. Poor love was asleep with its hands over its eyes when the scan began and then jumped and flung itself about (very entertaining). We also got to hear its hearbeat strongly for the first time.

So, I guess I just have to keep calm and hope the cervix doesn't shorten otherwise I'll be having a stitch! :(

Just thought I'd let you know

Louise x

Hi Louise.

Did they get you to go for a 15 minute walk and then rescan you?
when i have mine done i have my cervix measured then go for a walk and then have it measured again when i come back, mine is normally around about 2.5cm before exercise then around 2cm after, the shortest it's gone is 1.5cm :( but bubs is still in there lol, got my next scan on 2nd Aug will let you know how it goes.

I went for another cervical scan yesterday and it was only 1.7 cm and it has started to funnel (open at the womb), i didn't go for a walk this time they just pressed down hard on my belly apparently it has the same effect.

Feeling a bit down today, i'm happy i've got as far as i have but still to early for my little girl to come yetm i'm now back to taking it easy and hope she'll stay in for another couple of weeks.

Do all women get cervically scanned? This is one of my biggest fears - my cervix shortening too early.

Hope both your girls are okie - at least they are aware and you are in good hands x

Hi Sami,

You only have your cervix checked if you are at risk of incompetent cervix (if you've suffered trauma to the cervix) i had a cone biopsy done about 5 years ago thats why i was checked.

Hi Manda

I've got my next scan on Wednesday but to be honest I don't much will have happened.

Hope you're ok - you've still got nearly 2 cm so fingers crossed. Try not to move!

Sami - as Manda says you only have scans if there's a risk. I had a lot of cervix removed 3 years ago which is why I'm being monitored.

Louise x

Oh right - seems a shame they don't do it for all women though to sve heartache. I know after losing two babies they woulnt investiagte why properly until I had lost 3. This I found almost impossible to bare. I think I am just worrying now that i've got this far I won't get much further :(

Hope you girls get on okie though!! xx

Louise - i'm not too worried about the length as it's been like this before and next time i go it's 2 1/2 it's the funneling thats worrying as the cervix is starting to open without any contractions although i have had a few stomach pains which i thought was wind but it might have been cos of the cervix - imagine the 1st part of labour without contractions lol.

Sami - at what stage did you loose your other bubs? they only check your cervix if it was later on in the pregnancy that you miscarried as it's the weight of everything that opens the cervix this normally happens after 16 weeks if i remember rightly, if you are worried talk to your midwife, i know how you feel i miscarried last year (it was at 8 weeks) and i worry constantly about this pregnancy, i had bleeding between 4 and 8 weeks and then again but a lot worse at 11 1/2 weeks and both times convinced myself i miscarried again but she's fine, then when i found out about my cervix shortening i was convinced i wouldn't get to 24 weeks and here i am at 28+4 :) just hope she stays there for at least another 5 weeks, but 8 would be better. (OMG that seems so mad that if i go full term theres only 11 weeks left :eek: time's flying)

Hello

Just had another scan. No change so very good.
They did a whole anatomy scan today which was a surprise and everything is perfect. The two sonographers couldn't agree on whether it was a boy or a girl (woman said girl, man said boy :? )so they've said they'll try and sort it out for my next scan in two weeks - hurray!
I've got some lovely pictures which one day I'll try to post.

Manda: any news?
Louise x

Hi Louise,

Glad everything went ok for you, i go back next tues so will let you know what happens, got really bad cough at the moment and worry everytime i have a coughing fit that shes gonna pop out lol.

Girls, I've experienced a strange feeling in my vagina/cervix today, almost as though there was something pressing down on it or a bubble of air...like you know when some gas gets trapped up there :oops: and I'm wondering if I should be worried about my cervix dilating early? I'm 15 weeks on, and if anything else happens (bitten by bat at 6 weeks, spotting and internal scan at 9 weeks) I think I'll go crazy.

Can any of you allay my fears?

Sue

Hi Sue,

I'm sure everything is ok but i would advise you to speak to your dr or midwife and get checked out, in one of the books that i've got it says if you feel pressure to get it checked out, it also said some women whos cervix opens early say that they felt as if they had a lump in there vagina.
I had problems sitting down, if i sat for 5 mins or longer i felt like all my insides would fall out and it was really uncomfortable so i spent most of 9 weeks lying down. Like i say it's probably nothing but put your mind at rest and get it checked out.

How did you get bit by a bat you poor thing?

i had my scan today and my cervix lengthened with exercise :? and there is now no funneling, the dr was really pleased with the results and has said that i will not need any further scans and that if anything happens now they are happy to deliver the baby :D

Wahey! That's great news :) so glad to hear that Manda

+++

Hi Manda

Congratulations you must be so pleased!!!

I would be so happy if I got to that stage and you've given me some hope.

I don't have another scan for another 10 days and I'm hoping to find out the sex then.

Louise x

Hey Manda

Thats great news! You must be so relieved.

Good Luck for the next few weeks!

Sunshine

i'm chuffed to beans! :D i'm hoping that she'll stay put for about another 6 weeks but if she doesn't i'm not too worried now, can't believe i'll be meeting my little girl soon :D.

Good luck with your scan louise keep us informed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back