Cervical length scans

Rainingflowers

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant. I was referred to a consultant by my midwife due to 3 consecutive miscarriages (all 8 weeks or before). I mentioned I had a procedure to remove some abnormal cells following a smear 3 years ago. When she checked my notes from the procedure the amount of my cervix they removed was quite a lot. The consultant advised that this puts me at high risk of miscarriage within my second trimester. I have to go for scans every 2 weeks (I had my first this week) so they can measure my cervix. I see the consultant again at 23 weeks and if they need to do anything either before then or at that point they will (they mentioned that they can stitch my cervix to ensure it doesn't open).
When I've looked online a non pregnant cervix should measure between 4-5cm, a pregnant cervix should be around 3.5cm. On Thursday mine measured 3.1cm. So it's already below average. I have my next scan in 10 days so will just have to wait and see if it gets less (I think the risk is the heavier the baby gets the weaker the cervix will get).
I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this or something similar?

I've not been in this situation but feel for you, that must be scary! You're only 4mm shy of average which doesn't sound too disasterous. They'll monitor you closely and I'm sure they'll get that stitch in there at 18 weeks if it's any shorter. You'd think it would be more of a problem in tri 3 as baby starts getting heavy. Let us know how you get on at your next scan x

Thanks for your reply!
I know I'm only 4mm short, however I'm only 6mm from worst case scenario!!! My partner keeps saying I'm being negative but I'm trying to stay realistic! I still don't want to get too excited as there is still a significant chance of m/c. I think they aren't as bothered if it happens in 3rd trimester as baby has much higher survival rates if I do go into labour at that point. And they won't do a stitch unless absolutely necessary as there is also a high risk of infection which could pass onto baby. It's all so complicated. Hopefully will have more answers a week tomorrow at my next scan!

Hi, I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant. I was referred to a consultant by my midwife due to 3 consecutive miscarriages (all 8 weeks or before). I mentioned I had a procedure to remove some abnormal cells following a smear 3 years ago. When she checked my notes from the procedure the amount of my cervix they removed was quite a lot. The consultant advised that this puts me at high risk of miscarriage within my second trimester. I have to go for scans every 2 weeks (I had my first this week) so they can measure my cervix. I see the consultant again at 23 weeks and if they need to do anything either before then or at that point they will (they mentioned that they can stitch my cervix to ensure it doesn't open).
When I've looked online a non pregnant cervix should measure between 4-5cm, a pregnant cervix should be around 3.5cm. On Thursday mine measured 3.1cm. So it's already below average. I have my next scan in 10 days so will just have to wait and see if it gets less (I think the risk is the heavier the baby gets the weaker the cervix will get).
I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this or something similar?

Hi huni. I'm also currently 16 weeks and also had surgery to remove cancours cells from my cervix. Mine was Jan this year.
I've had my cervix scanned too. Mine is 2.8 and I was offered the choice of stitches or a medication u can take that keeps ur cervix closed.
My consultant explained to me that neither procedure is any more safe or any better than the other and the choice was mine she sed of I'd have been a couple of mm shorter then I did have had 2 have stitched but luckily it wasn't. I've opted f9r the medication. I will get this at 18 weeks and have to insert a tablet twice a day up until 36 weeks.
Plus to top it off in also having twins so I'm high risk as it is. Plus they share a placenta wich means I'm more high risk and coz of my surgery I'm even higher risk.
I've been scanned every 2 weeks due for another tomorrow cnt wait.

I'm now 18 weeks and have had my second cervical scan... It measured 3.8!! So it's much better (I didn't even think it could get bigger so I was shocked!). However they have said my placenta is sitting quite low so I'm now being monitored for that aswell!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back