cervical erosion?

kellie

Reaction score
hiya everyone, last night i had to go to the hospital as i went to the loo and lost quite a lot of blood down the toilet. i can't even explain how terrified i was :cry: but luckily bubs is fine, i even felt my first kick when the midwife was listening to bub's heartbeat :D it felt sooo great and was a relief as i haven't felt any movement until then :D anyway, i had an internal and apparently i have a cervical erosion which is being made to bleed by the increased hormones etc, but luckily isn't affecting bubs. they were really busy and rushed through things a bit and what they did tell me kind of went in one ear and out the other at the time....has anyone else had this or know anything about it? ie will it go away/stay the same/get worse etc? i'm not seeing midwife for another 2 weeks and although the hospital said i would i'm still spotting and i'm worried :?

sorry about the long post but you gals are great xx
take care, luv kels xx 19+2

I'm sorry I have no knowledge of this at all but if you are worried I would get in touch with your midwife again and maybe ask her to explain a bit more? Was your appointment with your midwife already made before you went into hospital or was it booked after? If it was booked before, I'd bring the appointment forward or see your GP just to clear things up a bit.

xx

Hiya Kellie

Sorry to read you've had this worry!

The term "Cervical Erosion" is completely misleading as nothing is actually worn away or "eroded". Normally the cells on the outer part of the cervix is lined with flat lining cells and the narrow passage through to the cervix is lined with narrow granular cells. Cervical erosion is completely normal and is simply the growing down of the narrow granular cells into the cervix, where the flat cells once were. Cervial erosion appears on the outer surface of the cervix to form a red, velvet-like area called a cervical erosion.

These cervical changes are a natural response to the female hormone, oestrogen, and can occur naturally in some women, during pregnancy, in those who have had children, and in women taking the oral contraceptive pill. Most erosions cause no symptoms. However, in some women they produce an increased mucus discharge. Occasionally the delicate cells may bleed easily when touched or during vigorous sex. As these cells are much more delicate than normal cells, it's proberbly why you have had the bleeding and it will not halm the baby in any way.

Don't worry about it - Most women at some point in their life will suffer with varying degrees of Cervical erosion, but in most instances it will cause no problems. I've been aware of having cervical erosion since I was 19. At times I used to bleed after sex, but other than that I havn't had any major problems.

Hope this helps!

hi kellie ive had a cervical erosion for years mine bleeds everytime i have a smear sometimes quite a lot :oops: poor nurse lol there is treatment you can have for it after you have had the baby i have to have mine done because it bleeds while having smears it can affect smear results (they cant always get clear results cos too much blood) my nurse told me they can burn it somehow cant remember what the actual procedure is called but it seals it so it dont bleed no more best thing you can do is make an appointment with your practice nurse and she will explain it to you properly sorry if not much help pregnancy brain you know lol :roll: xxxxxx

thanks so much guys, thats really helped ease my mind a bit, i think it's because they were so busy, beings that bubs is more than fine in there they didnt explain it properly and just kinda rushed me out, i think they needed the bed! i will ring midwife to ask if i can bring mty appointment forward a bit and if not, i'll just pop to my gp....thanks again!
take care, hope you're all good today!
luv kels xx 19+3

hi kellie just to let you know my cervical erosion has started bleeding now too so your not on your own ive been spotting since yesterday morning been down and had a scan this morning and baby is fine :D :D :D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi ladies, I am now 30 weeks (tomorrow) and at about 18 weeks I had a bleed and was spotting. Got taken to the hospital where they done an internal - I hate them, and discovered I had an erosion on the cervics. It can be caused by increased hormones, and also intercourse. I think the latter of the two was my reason as I had been finding it sore at that time. To this day, I still go for a wee and find the odd spot of blood on the paper now and then, but it is nothing to worry about. Now I am off sex so it must be the hormone explanation for it.

Keep an eye on it and raise it with your midwife as and when it happens.x

I had a bleed at 16 weeks which I was later told was due to cervical erosion,I was so scared at the time cos the hospital wasn't very helpful. Midwife told me only a couple of weeks ago that bleeding at that stage of pregnancy is very commom. Wish I had known that at the time. Anyway I've had nothing since and baby is fine.

it's good to know i'm not alone in this and that all your babies are ok, hope your spotting settles down soon Rach....rest hun :) bet it was lovely to see the bubba on the scan again, glad everything's ok :D
take care, luv kels xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back