Cat owners

Sandi4Paul

Reaction score
Dear All mums,

for those of you who have/ had cats and babies together, can you please give me any tips to make sure it all works out when the LO arrives.

we have four cats all of whom we adopted from a local cat charity and i would prefer not to have to give them the trauma of being adopted again.

For those that didn't work out can you tell me anything you think you should have done differently?

Thanks for any advice.

Sandi

My cat hasn't paid any attention to the baby whatsoever!

I think it depends on your cats and how you treat them and where you allow them to live in your house atm.

For example, are they are all indoor cats, or do they also go out. Do you let them into the bedrooms or sleep on your bed?

If you let them in the bedrooms and are worried about a cat sleeping in a cot or something later on, then it'd be good to start teaching them to stay downstairs and shutting them out of the bedroom.

Many cats are not really interested in small babies and children and tend to avoid them, but some like to curl up in a cot with or without baby in it. I personally don't like this and would discourage a cat from doing that. Same as I do when they curl up in the laundry basket :roll:

Think about your routine and theirs and how it will change once baby is here and make your changes sooner rather than later so they all have time to adjust.

ill be honest: hormones are REALLY all over the place after the birth and u feel really sorta primal instinct-y. for about 4 or 5 days after the birth when i looked at my darling cats all i could see were little meat-eaters i felt really protective over my newborn. (this wears off tho i promise)

u just gotta be careful not to leave ur baby near the cats dont allow them in the same room while ur not there and be careful- my boyf had millie on his lap once and one of the cats jumped onto him (and onto her) he didnt see her. and of course my boyf startled and shoo'ed him off luckily he didnt pop his claws out as he jumped off her :shock:

they generally stay away tho

we got one cat who has special needs (brain damaged) and she freaks out when millie screams. she approaces her in attack mode :shock:
but shes got special needs like i said, we hav no probs like that with the other cat who's normal.

just be extra cautious hun, u wont need 2 re-house them and it will all settle in one or 2 weeks :hug: :hug: :hug:

oh yeah just wanna add, the normal cat now loves millie he's so good with her. she strokes him and grabs his fur and pulls it but he's really good he just nuzzles her. its so cute i can post a video if u like!

I have two kittens and there not only mine but they are harrisons pride and joy and they love him dearly, all we are planning on doing is keeping the cats in their basket in the living room at night and because they go out during the daytime ( well in and out ) i'm not thinking they will be a problem at all.

My cat had a bit of a rough time when Jake was born as 2 days before we had to have my other cat to sleep, then suddenly there is this tiny person that everyone is so pritective about. I was worried about his behaviour but he was very good. He some how knows to keep his distance. If he has to walk past Jake he will run past as quickly as he can.

He has pee'd in Jakes room on a couple of occassions though when we have left the door open (never while Jake was in there) :evil: It might be because of Jake, or that he is bullied by other cats outside, or, most likely that the litter tray used to be in there (we dont have one anymore)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back