Career change.....

Chazabell

Reaction score
Well......for the lst 2 years i've said "when were pregnant, ill go on maternity then leave" 2 blooming years!!

Life is not a dress rehersal and im not happy in my job. I'm sick to death of unrealistic targets and threats, soooo......

I'm thinking of a change into being a carer, as ive done it before and its very rewarding.

What happens if i got a new job, then fell pregnant. Where would you stand with a new employer???

xxxx

Hey Chaz!!!
Sounds just like me!! I have kept saying the same thing and yes two blooming years!!!!!

You have the same rights to statutory, even if you are already pregnant when you start !

xxxx

I'm not sure of the exact guidlines and I think it can vary from company to company but you have to have been working somewhere so many weeks before you are entitled to company maternity pay, but other than that they have to give you maternity leave and keep a job open no matter how long you have been there. We need someone who knows about HR to clear this one up. I deffo think that being a carer would be rewarding though, a massive change from what you do now but a good change by the sounds of it. Good luck honey xxx

Hiya Chaz :) I thought you said that you liked it again after your boss was nice to you? :eh:

A career change sounds like a very positive step though :good:

Chaz - are you the lady with the a-hole manager? :shock:

Life is too short sweetie BUT I'd check out the actual legal requirements (sorry I don't know them off hand)

Also you may want to consider we're still not in a good way economically so it could be tough to find a new job? And if you do your job may not be as secure?

Just some things to think about

xxxxxx

Last edited:
Yes my manager was an ass, then he was nice and now he's gone :shock: so i've had enough too!

Im am at the end of my teather too, need to change stores as im 'too comfortable' and im now not getting the best from my team, and i dont know how else to get what i want, and im not sure im getting the support i feel i need on this.

I've been there 9 years, im bored. Moving would mean a pay drop, but would i rather be happy, or have money?

Personally i'd rather be happy.

xxxxxx

Hi Chazabel

You have to be in employment for at least 15 weeks before you get pregnant in order to be entitled to SMP, this doesn't have to be the same employer. If you swap employer between this time you have to claim directly from the DWP although most companies will do it on your behalf. Hope this helps

Xx

To get Statutory mat pay you must be:

employed by the same employer continuously for at least 26 weeks into the 15th week before the week your baby is due (the qualifying week)
earning on average an amount which at least equals the lower earnings limit which applies on the Saturday at the end of your qualifying week

So really you need to work for 26 weeks before 15 weeks before baby is due. 15 +26=41, so you need to work there a week before you get pg, if I've understood it properly!

Hey I was in the same position and thought life is too short waiting on what ifs to happen if your not happy so I took the plunge and now in my new job. I figured if I kept waiting just in case I got my bfp I was putting my life on hold and not really happy. I've been in my job a month now and soooo glad I did it. If I do get a bfp and haven't been there long then I would feel a bit bad but I won't be the first and I doubt I'll be the last. Plus in this life having a family is way more important than work and if it did happen I think you would just be so over the moon and not worry. Skeando is right for smp you have to be there 26 weeks at 15th week before due date which equals working a week. Also if your not eligible for smp they have annoyed their payment (can't think what its called) which equates to about the same amount.

A long reply but my advice is go for it - you can't live a life of what ifs and need to be happy and make the most of every day. If your not enjoying a job you aren't doing that :) xx

Yes my manager was an ass, then he was nice and now he's gone :shock: so i've had enough too!

Im am at the end of my teather too, need to change stores as im 'too comfortable' and im now not getting the best from my team, and i dont know how else to get what i want, and im not sure im getting the support i feel i need on this.

I've been there 9 years, im bored. Moving would mean a pay drop, but would i rather be happy, or have money?

Personally i'd rather be happy.

xxxxxx

Well I think you have your answer sweetie :eh:

Wishing you lots of luck and I hope you find a job that makes you happy

xxxxxxx

What kind of carer? I work with people with Learning Difficulties :) I really enjoy my job, its very challenging but rewarding.

Hope you find a job that makes you happy hun. x

I'm a nurse and absolutely love it!! It is very rewarding :) does have it's bad aspects as with all jobs xx
What kind of carer would you want to do?
Home help? Learning difficulties? Or health care assistant in a nursing home or hospital?! X
Goodluck hope you find happiness xx

My husband dropped a significant amount of money to move to Wales and he couldn't be happier :)

You're right to just keep moving forward with your life and searching for something that makes you happy. I'm starting a new job within my school in September - it's a 2 year project. Hopefully I will be pg or on maternity leave at some point during those 2 years so I won't be able to do it the whole time. But I might not be and I wasn't pg when I applied so I just went for it because you've got to deal wit pg when it happens - not before!

Good luck, let us know what you do.

xx

I'd love to help people with learning difficulties, but i'm aware that you need specific experience or qualifications. Ive been looking at home care which i think i'd love, and also residential homes. I wanna help someone and make a difference, not force someone to buy something because i need to get my figures up!

Im working on my CV, but its so hard :( anyone wanna do it for me? Ha ha xxx

At the end of the day, even if you moved jobs, and weren't entitled to SMP (which at most basic level is only £125ish a week), I think it would be worth it to get the job you want and the baby you want. What is potentially only £3000 over 6months versus the idea of getting 2 things which are very important to you.If your OH wasn't working, it might be more of a dilema, but I think it would be worth it.

A year and half ago, I was stuck in a job I hated umming and aahing about whether to take a job with my current employer because I might get pg. As it goes it hasn't happened yet, but I would be so miserable if I had stayed where I was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back