car seats!!

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by lauramleigh, Nov 27, 2007.

1. lauramleigh

lauramleigh Well-Known Member

Hi i know a few of u are far more organised than me :oops: but just wondering what car seat everyone is getting ??

I want one that just clicks into the car on the base but cant decide..I was looking at the mamas and papas one but the reviews arent that good..

:)

2. Sophie1102

Sophie1102 Well-Known Member

We're gonna be getting the Chicco one that has the base it all comes with the travel system, we also have the carrycot with it that can go in the car.

I definately want the base as I have two older girls that are at school and I will be in and out of the car at least 4 times aday and the last thing I want is having to strap the seat in each time especially when it's cold and raining!!

3. paradysso

paradysso Well-Known Member

we got the m&p one with base and i cudnt get the seat off the base and ended up fighting with it :rotfl: i just sold it on ebay today for £25 and we have gone for a Britax one that i will have to strap in each time. but im sure after a few times i will be a dab hand at it :?

4. MattM

MattM Well-Known Member

You have to be very careful when choosing a car seat. Not only does it have to be safe and fit well in your car, but it also has to allow the baby to breathe properly and a surprising number of them don't allow them.

An acquaintance who recently had a daughter discovered this. His daughter ingested some meconium and when she was born had breathing difficulties and spent a few days in the SCBU. Before they let her out, they placed her in the car seat they had purchased and measured her oxygen saturation. It dropped dramatically so they had to replace it with a better make.

Here's a quote from a document he sent me:

I'll see if I can find his recommended list.

5. Emma58

Emma58 Well-Known Member

I am thinking of getting the Recaro Young Sport seat.

6. Nicola g

Nicola g Well-Known Member

:shock: well i didnt know that.

Im getting a M&P one matching the pram but have to buy the base seperate.

7. MattM

MattM Well-Known Member

8. sunnyday

sunnyday Well-Known Member

We'll be getting the Maxi Cosi as we want the isofix base for extra safety (saves having to use a seat belt to secure it, instead it is secured directly onto the chassis of the car).

It also clips onto either the Quinny Buzz or Bugaboo - we'll be getting either one of these prams so we're just pleased that the car seat is compatible.

I am aware of the research that babies shouldn't sleep in their car seats for too long as the bucket position isn't good for them, so we'll be making a big effort to transfer them to their moses basket if they have fallen asleep whilst in the car seat (even if it wakes them up!).

9. muppetmummy

muppetmummy Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info Matt, I hadn't heard of that before. I thought carseats were considered bad due to the spine issues. Luckily I don't think the baby will be in the car apart from at weekends. Everywhere I go during the week is within walking distance.

We've had to rule out a car carrycot cos it won't fit on the back seat because of James' carseat.

At the moment it's looking most likely we'll get a Jane Slalom Pro so we'll get the rebel car seat to go with it. Just got to find out whether it will fit our cars first.

10. bobtheunfortunateone

bobtheunfortunateone Well-Known Member

we have also got a maxi cosi one, as it clicks in and out of car base and will click on our bugaboo, will save one hand to chase my 2 year old!

11. Gem & Leland

Gem & Leland Well-Known Member

found this helpfull

http://www.babyfy.com/index.php/default ... CatID/178/

it reviews them all

ive got the m&p one too , and altho it says its a lil upright it just reccommends the baby doesnt stay in it for long periods of time , but , thats why ive got the carrycot too , even if it wakes babe up ill be moving them out of the car seat !

12. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Well-Known Member

ive bought this for when my parents look after the baby

not sure what we are getting, probably something that will work with our pram

13. Babylicious

Babylicious Well-Known Member

mines a hauk winnie the pooh travel system, so car seat comes with it, need to have trial run i think

14. muppetmummy

We've ordered the jane matrix cup carseat today. Thought it was a good choice cos when we're in the car it's usually for at least 1/2hour at a time (Aberdeen is 30 mins each way) so figured a normal travel system carseat wouldn't be a good idea.

With this one at least baby can lie flat in carrycot mode when we get to our destination. It's a shame the seat needs two seatbelts in carrycot mode cos they're won't be enough room in the car to use it like that if James' is there too.

15. Tiggergirl

Tiggergirl Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it can be attached with a side seatbelt and the middle one. Have a look in the manual when it arrives.

16. muppetmummy

Yeah you're right, you can use the side and middle seatbelt.
    Unfortunately our L200 doesn't have any seatbelt at all in the middle, and the micra only has a lap belt. I'm totally gutted.
    Might ask OH if its possible to get a proper middle seatbelt fitted into the L200.

17. Charlie:-)

Charlie:-) Well-Known Member

Im getting a Maxi Cosi with the Easy Base, they come in loads of funky colours and patterns if you choose.