Car seats

For those with cars that don't have isofix you can buy a conversion kit for approx £17 that can be fitted for £90, more expense but cheaper than buying a new car. Cars made before 1997 aren't compatible with the kit but by 2018 chances are they'll be less card of that age about anyway x

Rear racing until 4.... Car journeys will be so much fun 😏 My little boy would kick off something rotten if he had to stare at the back of a seat in the car. Also his dad lives 3 hours away so I can see that being a fun drive..... 🙈 I think 15 months in an isafe is enough. And I always keep my little one in the back of the car. X

The law is currently changing to i-size legislation which is rearfacing until a minimum 15 months - this was announced 2 years ago and 4 years grace is given so that anyone who had a baby pre announcement didn't have to buy a new carseat. Law will be enforced from 2018, and you are only allowed to buy I size compliant car seats in store. Rear facing until four is the European legislation and not legally binding in UK however experts recommend it and they are expecting the UK law to be updated to this at some point.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks. This is what prompted my post and I wondered if anybody else was buying now in preparation for that or just sticking to current legislation.
There will be a couple of years grace after 2018 before it is enforced though so I'm just going to stick with current legislation for now as this is what suits all our family cars.

Rear racing until 4.... Car journeys will be so much fun 😏 My little boy would kick off something rotten if he had to stare at the back of a seat in the car. Also his dad lives 3 hours away so I can see that being a fun drive..... 🙈 I think 15 months in an isafe is enough. And I always keep my little one in the back of the car. X

Especially if you're in the car alone with the kid, at least if there are two of you someone can sit in the back with them to entertain!

Especially if you're in the car alone with the kid, at least if there are two of you someone can sit in the back with them to entertain!
Exactly, good god, at least its not me who does that dreaded journey! One for his dad to deal with haha x

My son has been rear facing until 2.5, and we've had no issues at all. To be honest, he just sleeps more! RF seats are more reclined than FF generally so it leads to more sleep! We've never had to sit in the back to entertain him etc. And we had a mirror on the head rest to be able to see him.

Rear facing is so much safer than FF, the evidence is there if you want to look it up. It's all to do with the maturity of their bones and muscles etc and the damage that can happen in a crash. I think, from what I've read, that it's the more extreme crashes that it really comes into play rather than low impact/speed. Don't take my word though, I could well be reading bias information etc!

I've read it as well tigger but I'm comfortable with my choices x

Also they can still see out of the window rear facing, my son has a lovely view and we have a mirror to keep an eye on him so he can see what's happening in the front too.

I can't believe that it will be isofix only anyway as beyond a certain weight isofix can't be used anyway.

Might be worthwhile for you all to go to a Facebook page called car seat advice for mummies and daddies. Very useful page. I know a lot more about seats now that before I joined. My son is 26 months and has been rear facing the whole time and I will keep him that way as long as possible, my daughter will be the same

As far as I can see online it's only going to be rear facing until 15 months. And car seats will be measured on size of the child rather than weight.
The law is currently in place but running alongside old law. The old law will be abolished in 2018 and rear facing until 15 months will be compulsory at that point.

Last edited:
That's not so bad then. Imagine a 4 year olds legs squished up against the back seat! x

Rear racing until 4.... Car journeys will be so much fun �� My little boy would kick off something rotten if he had to stare at the back of a seat in the car

Maybe it depends on the car/car seat combo. Our 2 year old can see out just fine from the rear facing Pearl (better I suspect than she would if we had it forward facing). She chats to us, we can see each other in the mirrors and she tells us about all the different vehicles, birds and animals she can see out the back and side windows. She'll have a baby sibling to chat to as well soon :)

Last edited:
That's not so bad then. Imagine a 4 year olds legs squished up against the back seat! x

This is a common misconception that they get squished, when you look at photos of kids rear facing they always find a comfortable seating position and can rear face without any problems beyond the age of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back