Car seat query

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by Rhelen91, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Rhelen91

Rhelen91 Well-Known Member

So I'm considering reusing the newborn car seat I had for my daughter with this baby for the first few weeks.

It was bought brand new for my daughter as part of a travel system, and only used for the first 12 weeks and then we bought a different car seat seperately which was stage 0-3 (0-25kg) for the car.

The newborn car seat is smaller and cosier for a new baby, especially if I have another titchy tot.

My query is how would I clean the baby car seat, as it says not to machine wash. It has been stored in the big cupboard in my bedroom for 2 years, so will need a "refresh." Would it be safe to just run over the fabrics with baby wipes and then hang it on the clothes line outside to air off? Or would I be better off buying a brand new one? Seems daft to spend £60 on another one only to be used for a few weeks if the one I have is perfectly safe to reuse..

2. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

I'd re-use it. I did with my firstborn's car seat (Graco first stage - "rock a tot" I think?)

I just wiped it over with a damp clean cloth and left it to dry outside in the sun. It wasn't really dirty though, it had been stored in black (bin) bags.

I'd probably use a cloth and plain water or just a bit of laundry detergent in warm water to wipe it over though rather than wetwipes.

3. Rhelen91

Rhelen91 Well-Known Member

Aah that's great! Yeah I stored mine with a big black bag over it too so it isnt unclean, just smells a bit dusty from being kept in a cupboard you know. I think I'll wait for a nice dry sunny day and then get it out and go over it with a cloth :) Thanks for the advice x