Car seat-how long are they in the first car seat

Holsf

Reaction score
Debating on wether to get a brand new one or use the sister in laws maxi cosi carseat? How long do they stay in it is it worth forking out for a brand new one or should I just appreciate the second hand one xx

I bought one from Asda for £25 that lasts from 0+ to 3 years. Xxx

The only thing is my pram is a travel system so want one that will fit on and there's one that is compatible with the pram the mamas and papas zoom and the maxi cosi cabriofix fits on it aswell. Xx

It says 9 months is roughly how long for first seat. If it hasn't been in an accident I'd go for it.

As long as it hasn't been in any accidents and is still in good condition then I would take the second hand one. The maxi cosi is a good car seat. You do have to check though because I know some car seats actually have an 'expiry date', this is usually about 5 or 6 years after manufacture. They say the first car seats can be used up to 9 months but in reality a lot of babies will fit in longer than this, it's the weight limit you need to take more notice of rather than age. My DS was in his maxi cosi until about 15 months. You should keep them in the first seat as long as possible as rear facing is much safer xxx

Last edited:
Ruby was in hers until she was 12 months old . It all depends on there height and weight x

u can put bubs in the next stage car seat from 19lbs, i bought my maxi cosi one second hand, babies are expensive as it is so why not make treasures of others junk :) xx

I think the group 0 rear facing ones depend on the weight and height as previously stated. If the baby's head is above the head support and legs bending on the back seats time for a change. I like the joie stages that are birth to 7 years. However my friends car seats are so grubby (children 2 and 4) up til 7 may be a tall order. Would only use a second hand one if I knew its history (eg accidents). My OH bought the £25 asda one for his car 2nd seat, as lo will be mainly in my car.

I had a car seat that she could stay in a little longer. Is it a 0+? She outgrew it fully at about 18 months I think. But we switched at 15 months.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

the law is changing over the next few years to say that babies should be in a rear facing seat until 15mnths old.

you should try to keep baby in it as long as possible, and not move them as soon as they hit the 9kg mark. (its 9kg, not really 9mnths)

rear facing is the safest!

we have a maxi-cosi pebble. Its great cause has an insert that you can take out so the baby can use it for longer without their legs being squished against the back seat.

we will only move her out when she is too big for it. Whenever that will be.......

As the other ladies said, as long as possible. My little girl still fits her newborn one at 15months. She's on 25th line, so that suggests a quarter of babies her age will still fit.

As long as head isn't about the support they are safe. The position of their legs is totally irrelevant - legs bend.

Really you want them in the rear facing seats as long as possible. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

my lg was about 8 months but she was over 20lb and her head was poking over the top of the seat by then, i then bought the asda 0+ one so if needed i could have that rear facing for longer

Owen got too big at about 11 months xx

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

Great thanks for all your replies that's really helpful xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member