Car Seat Advice

kittykitchn

Reaction score
Shall I go with a newborn/group 0 carseat or group 0/1?

I had initially decided on a group 0/1 for economic value and it lasting us a few years. However, after reading reviews for some of them in our price range (round about £100 or so), a lot of reviewers say that the support and comfort just isn't there for a newborn baby.

There's a group 0 seat that I originally liked now on sale in Mothercare. Should I buy a newborn and then rebuy in 6-12 months, or go with the value aspect and get a group 1/0 outright?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I'm having the same dilemma.

I know I want an Extended RF seat (up to 4yrs), but I don't drive at the moment (but plan to learn soon!)

So for now I'm thinking it might be worth getting a cheap carrycot seat in case I go out with a friend or in a taxi etc as it's easier to take with me and put in & out of other people's cars than the multi stage ERF seats.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to go for 0/1 to save money rather than just having to buy another one in the near future x

We used a group 0 seat from birth to 6.5 months, it was convenient to transfer him in his seat into pram base but he's a bit heavy to carry around in it now and I wanted something with more protection. Weve just bought the nuna rebl and I'm really pleased with it. Very well padded, comfy restraint and the 360 swivel thing is great. you can keep baby rear facing for longer and it's got lots of recline levels. Not cheap but really worth it I think.

I guess it depends what you want from a seat, do you want it to be used with a pram?

Hi we bought the britax dualfix as the seat twists towards your so you don't need to twist your back. It's for new born up to four and can be rear facing the whole time. There is an option to have it front facing but that won't comply with requirements soon.

I don't plan on using it with a pram, the main objective for me is comfort I think. It's not possible for us to spend 100s on a seat, which I'm sure are hugely comfortable from birth for several years! I reckon I'll probably go with the newborn (as it's on sale anyway) so comfort and transport ease, and then spend more further down the line when needed

I think either way you'll end up spending a lot in the long run. We spent £100 on our first car seat and £110 on the isofix base. That seat will be too small around her first birthday. We want out Lo to be rear facing for as long as possible and after a recent trip to mothercare I think we'll be spending about £400 :eek: it's a shocking amount but I really do want her rear facing. We have an Ibiza and safety comes first, we also have a Nissan pickup which she goes in occasionally, if that was our main car I wouldn't mind her being forward facing as its like a tank and would need to take a big hit to cause a lot of damage (alhough I know it does happen) but I think in the smaller car she needs to be rear facing

I got one with my travel system which was the first size then moved to ERF carseat.

I think the laws due to change soon on the ERF to compulsory until 2 years old. If you can Id save the money before you end up needing to pay 350 for the ERF.

xxxx

Last edited:
I brought my maxi cosi cabriofix for £80 on offer in mothercare which did I him up to 7-8 months (we are tall and he's a long baby). We then brought a joie stages for £175 on offer with a free base which is erf up to 4 years but can be used from new born too. They're always doing deals on car seats, shop around and see what you can find then make a decision.

Last edited:
Joie are a good brand to go for, their ERF seats (birth-4) are available from Argos for around £150 depending on style.

I want a Joie, but may get a cheaper carrycot seat as well. If I do though I would only spend around £40 on one as it won't be used much or for very long. I'd rather save money on the group 0 seat and spend more on a good ERF one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back