Car seat advice

Well, this is de-railing from the OP slightly but I had to share...

Remember my lovely photo of a happy smiling Alyssa in her brand new big girl seat. Now don't get me wrong here, I did my research and found really positive reviews so I didn't just buy it on a whim or anything - but see that car seat? FAILED SAFETY TESTS AT WHICH :shock:

We have been driving around with our most precious thing in the whole world in a car seat that wouldn't protect her in a crash. I can't believe anyone's been allowed to sell them long enough never mind have sold them while discontinued.

The bit that enrages me most is, not only are Asda failing to recall them, they're actually denying they've sold them at all this year!! I bought mine last month!!! The spokesman says 'We've not sold this car seat since last year. All of our car seats are tested to the same EU standards that are in force across the retail industry.' Yet he goes on to say that the manufacturer will replace them with a new model. Like I'm gonna trust a manufacturer to give me a decent seat if that's what they were willing to pass off as safe in the first place.

Safe to say I've been at Mothercare/Halfords/etc all evening finding a new one, and happily got us a Britax Evolva 123, winner of several awards and very much happier with this one!! However, I'm gutted that I've had to do this in the first place (not like I can afford it, I don't get paid through the summer holidays) and also can't shake that 'what if' feeling away :(

Anyway, sorry for the interruption Tweety, just had to get it out there xxxx

Last edited:

Remember my lovely photo of a happy smiling Alyssa in her brand new big girl seat. Now don't get me wrong here, I did my research and found really positive reviews so I didn't just buy it on a whim or anything - but see that car seat? FAILED SAFETY TESTS AT WHICH :shock:

We have been driving around with our most precious thing in the whole world in a car seat that wouldn't protect her in a crash. I can't believe anyone's been allowed to sell them long enough never mind have sold them while discontinued.

The bit that enrages me most is, not only are Asda failing to recall them, they're actually denying they've sold them at all this year!! I bought mine last month!!! The spokesman says 'We've not sold this car seat since last year. All of our car seats are tested to the same EU standards that are in force across the retail industry.' Yet he goes on to say that the manufacturer will replace them with a new model. Like I'm gonna trust a manufacturer to give me a decent seat if that's what they were willing to pass off as safe in the first place.

Safe to say I've been at Mothercare/Halfords/etc all evening finding a new one, and happily got us a Britax Evolva 123, winner of several awards and very much happier with this one!! However, I'm gutted that I've had to do this in the first place (not like I can afford it, I don't get paid through the summer holidays) and also can't shake that 'what if' feeling away :(

OMG - so sorry to hear that hun, must have been a terrible scare for you!

The guy at EK was telling us yesterday that they ERF seats go through much stricter crash tests at 60mph which made me feel better, and as far as I'm aware WHICH recommend the besafe, but that being said, I still want to do more research

Car seats scare me - I suppose because of the crashes etc I see at work!

I'm still so pickled about this all. I know he is only 15 weeks but I wanted to get it now when I'm still getting paid. I'm probably taking the final 3 unpaid months of mat' leave so I wanted the big buys done.

I have the se cards you and I have isofix Lynds! I don't get it! Lol

Tapatalking!

my one is a mk6? I think 2008 is the changeover between mk6 and mk7 x

Oh Jesus you are talking gobbeldygook now :rotfl:

I know my car is a black fiesta called Trevor and it has Isofix (hubby told me that)

That is my total knowledge of my car ... Oh and it's a mobile bin!

*cough* just asked hubby and have been corrected ... I have a 59 plate :doh: :whistle:

Hi ladies

I have been following this thread and I have bought Toby thw besafe izi combi isofix. We went to a shop in bristol city that can demo the seat in the car. We have a skoda octavia 07 plate and it fits really well. It ended up behind the driver when we tried it as we have the maxi cosi pebble on isofix behind the passenger. That said there was still enough leg room for both hubby (5 foot 7") and me (5 foot 4") to use our usual driving positions. It was very sturdy and easier to install than it first seemed. Toby had a test sit and was happy in it as he usually has a complete hissy fit when I put him in his car seat. He looked comfy and the recline positions look good.

I'll be getting the seat delivered on tuesday so I'll let you know how I get on fitting it myself ect. Also on some of the websites it tells you the room needed for the erf seats, now the besafe izi said allow 78cm for the bottom and 81cm for the top I measured it beforehand and thought theres no way its going to fit but it did so its definitely worth finding someone to demo it.

I hope this info helps ladies. X

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Hi ladies

I have been following this thread and I have bought Toby thw besafe izi combi isofix. We went to a shop in bristol city that can demo the seat in the car. We have a skoda octavia 07 plate and it fits really well. It ended up behind the driver when we tried it as we have the maxi cosi pebble on isofix behind the passenger. That said there was still enough leg room for both hubby (5 foot 7") and me (5 foot 4") to use our usual driving positions. It was very sturdy and easier to install than it first seemed. Toby had a test sit and was happy in it as he usually has a complete hissy fit when I put him in his car seat. He looked comfy and the recline positions look good.

I'll be getting the seat delivered on tuesday so I'll let you know how I get on fitting it myself ect. Also on some of the websites it tells you the room needed for the erf seats, now the besafe izi said allow 78cm for the bottom and 81cm for the top I measured it beforehand and thought theres no way its going to fit but it did so its definitely worth finding someone to demo it.

I hope this info helps ladies. X

Thanks x

I was speaking to a car safety advisor today. i asked her this question

"can you recommend a car seat that is rear facing till around 4years, can be fitted using isofix and seatbelts and is quick and easy to move between cars?"

she recommended the Klippan Kiss 2. And it can be fitted in the middle using a 2 point seat belt!!

think this might be the one...........

http://www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk/...ducts_id/54?osCsid=dauhtl05jg4ql47cgtok1cs6b2

Might sound dim but what is the 'e' in erf?? xx

Just want to say thanks for this thread. I hadn't considered ERF at all, but you prompted me to look at the evidence and I wouldn't consider not doing it now.

Just want to say thanks for this thread. I hadn't considered ERF at all, but you prompted me to look at the evidence and I wouldn't consider not doing it now.

I can't take the credit - it was someone else brought it up a while back.

After reading the evidence myself I couldnt consider a ff seat either

Tapatalking!

Oh my goodness!! Thank you so much for this information. I have bought this car seat too but will definitely not be using it now.

This thread has really opened my eyes and never knew all there was to consider when getting the next car seat. Thanks again!

Hi everyone.

I now have the besafe izi combi isofix. I'll fit it today hopefully. It looks very sturdy and well padded. Heres so pics of it.
qudyge2y.jpg
ejaheny9.jpg

I will update you later. X

Hi everyone.

I now have the besafe izi combi isofix. I'll fit it today hopefully. It looks very sturdy and well padded. Heres so pics of it.
qudyge2y.jpg
ejaheny9.jpg

I will update you later. X

It's fab isn't it? I still haven't moved C into it even though I can. I think it's more about my denial that he is growing up!! Xx

Sazz what kind of car are you putting this into? I don't think this is going to fit in either mine or ohs car :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back