Car Insurance

Sophie_P

Reaction score
As I'm due for my driving test soon(and hopefully passing) i'm really worried about the cost of car insurance. I'm wanting a second hand car, something small with a 1.0,1.1 or 1.2 engine. Has anybody got any tips for first time car insurance? I'm 24 years old x

The only thing I can suggest is sit down with the phone book & phone around loads of places for quotes. I have never used those price comparison websites so I can't say if they're much more efficient or not. I live in NI so the price comparison websites don't normally work for me. I end up getting a really competitive quote & then at the end it says "excludes NI". Good luck!

Thanks hun. Can I still get quotes if I don't have a car yet? X

Yes if you pick a make/model of a car you don't have to own it yet x

You're looking at 1000 a year for.your first year min at a guess hun x best bet is.to stick your mum on as a additional driver this will bring your premium down or anyone with a clean driving history.

I've got a 1.1 corsa and was 22 when I passed and did a year.insurance. I'm now 23. Was 1400 for a year!! But.now its only 60 a month. Don't go Asda! Try post office that's what I'm with now

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

I have a 1.2 corsa, i'm 22 been driving since i was 18 and i now pay £63 a month.
It would be less but i wrote my car off when i was 18 lol and it shot up to £173 a month!! so been slowly getting it down each month with my careful driving haha.
Thats with Direct line.. you also get it cheaper if OH has a car insured with them aswell. But most insurance companies offer that as a multi car policy so shop around hun xxx

Thanks guys. Can't put anyone else on insurance as nobody else drives. Can say 60ish a month but anymore then I wont be able to run a car x

Do some quotes on some cars ur looking to buy, or if u have the car already do quotes on the insurance xx

Hi,

My OH and I are with Tesco and they are really good. When I passed I was a named driver on his insurance on a 1.8 and it was £73 a month and our renewal has gone down to £46 a month.

So, if you only get a 1.1 or 1.2 you should only get third party unless its a newish car. That will help to lower it. You can also lower your premium by making your voluntary excess higher, but that would mean you would have to pay out a lot more if you were to have an accident.

Hope that helps

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

Some companies also offer lower premiums if you agree to a low mileage allowance, they put a box in your car to track your mileage though x

Thanks Princess. I guess that wouldn't bother me much. I only want a car to do food shopping and drive on short uk breaks and I would still walk to work x

Try the comparison web sites eg confused.com, compare the market etc xx

Yeh try offering to have a parent etc on insurance as a named driver and mayb do the pass plus test after the actual test it brings down new drivers insurance and is a short course. Also think about petrol costs and tax too, you can pay insurance monthly but it works out more annually. Also where u live will vary the cost if you can keep it in a garage or on a private driveway over night this too brings down insurance car wise smaller engines usually work well for lowering insurance and if buying second hand well worth txting that number to check if car is stolen or has finance left on it. You can get quotes before you buy a car too use comparison websites sometimes it works out cheaper overall to have a car insurance that does your breakdown cover to else don't forget to factor that cost in too. I always find money supermarket is the best don't forget insurance quotes can vary daily a quote will only stay valid for a month too. Mayb Google cheapest car to ensure for first time drivers and see what comes up ? X

Once u pass your test you can do a pass plus course which can bring your insurance down. I went on as a named driver as it was cheaper but then you don't build up any no claims xxx

I am with hastings direct on a 1.2 corsa and its about £70 per month for me, im almost 24 and have been driving since 18 though. i did lose my no claims at about 20 as my car got broken into and wrecked so I had too claim. but they do seem reasonable, I found it on one of the compare sites! xxx

Have you looked at those black box things? I can get insured for a vw golf at about £140 a month with one, and they are expensive as a first car. Co op is the best xx

tapatalking x

I ve been driving for 10 years . No claims on my side and still £60 a month on a vw polo 1.4 fully comp. Redicolous!!

pregnant with baby no 2 ;)
sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 excuse my terrible spelling :p

Third party insurance isn't always cheaper so look for fully comp aswell.
We have 2 cars and separate policies. In all we pay £120ish a month and that's for a 1.4 Clio and a 2.0tdi seat.
I got told my insurance company (Churchill) that having a low mileage on a policy isn't cheaper as you are placed in a high risk category as you drive less than the average customer who would have around 10000 miles a year on a policy.
Good luck with the test x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back