cancelled my scan

GBLiz

Reaction score
as if i dont have enough probems with the nhs..now my PRIVATE anomaly scan has been cancelled

i booked it 6 weeks ago, had it confirmed at the start of this week , and TODAY they have said they cant do the scan on saturday.

i have no other days when i can get it done!! im so mad. I cant even book elsewhere as this was the only place i could get it done on a saturday afternoon.

(dont ask why i cant take time off work...just accept i CANT)

im fuming mad..i cant get it done the weekend after cos we're going to singapore for 2 weeks then

Gymbabe, don't slug me for saying this but I just have a feeling that eventually you're going to have to pull time from your schedule to look after yourself and your bub.

Don't get me wrong - I KNOW what it's like to feel as if you cannot take time from work. I've worked with both people and animals that require care regardless of whether I was ill or tired, I worked 16 years with only 2 days taken for sickness (one and a half of those in casualty!).

All that said, eventually I got to learn the world doesn't fall off it's axis if I'm not there and that I'm ot invincible, or totally immune from human falibility. Eventually I even learned it's possible to be too ill to work (thankfully BEFORE I was pregnant!!).

Maybe what would help you most is to prepare yourself that you might not meet all your committments but that you'll survive and that it's ok.

Ok - that's my old farts advice for the day so I'll bugger off now!

Take care of yourself.

i know you guys dont know my situation. im actually stopping work in 2 weeks time. The reason i am away in january is not because of my work but because my partner still has to work and i need to be with him at this time. I will have all the time in the world for appointments then. (if i can get them arranged) My partner is stopping work for the company before bub is due.

the next week and a half i cant travel to any scans because that would mean me and my partner taking time off work and we are the only two here, we cant both leave the building in working hours.

this is why i have been so careful to book and confirm weeks in advance

It's good to hear you'll get a break soon. I wasn't judging you, just worrying about you. :oops:

Sorry about the scan.

frustrating.

however the anomoly scan is very important and if it really comes to it, couldnt just you leave the building for one hour?
i hope you can work it out as my aunt is a sonographer and although we call it 18 week scan it actually has to be done as near as they can fit you in to 19wks and 2days. this is for size/m,easurements/defects reasons so i really would try and get in, xxx

i'll have to...but i'll have to take a taxi 20 miles each way, and my partner wont be there to see our baby :cry:

gymbabeliz said:
i'll have to...but i'll have to take a taxi 20 miles each way, and my partner wont be there to see our baby :cry:

Often the private scanning places give you a CD of the scan, so perhaps that would go some way to making up for OH not being able to be there with you. I know I'd be gutted if my hubby couldn't come, but sometimes you just have to prioritise yours and the baby's health above everything else.

Does the scanning place offer early morning or late evening appointments? Perhaps they could be a bit flexible with you if you explain your situation.

we're at work 8am-8pm so even late nights are out :(

im just so upset cos this is the one thing i thought i had under full control and organised....

oh well i'll just have to cope !! i got to get the scan no question of that

Still might be worth asking the scan place about late appointments, my local private surgery offer appointments until 9pm.

thing is...having the scan is actually more important than being in work... sorry but if it were me and my husband we would either take unpayed holiday or just i would go.. at the end of the day having a child is all about compromise..

and as tough as this may sound there are things in life that just have to be done.. and it seems that you might have to put some things on hold right now...

i dont know your situation.. but then making sure your baby has no abnormalitys is pretty important..

If you work for a British company don't UK regulations apply still? Especially if you have a contract in the UK and its short term overseas. For medical treatment and appointments they have to give you time off? Are you not legally entitled to time off for such things? Its a shot in the dark as I have no real idea of what it is you and your partner are doing that keeps you both in one place for 12 hours a day with no relief.

I've read all your posts and can understand your total frustration and sympathise. I'm with others though and would say that for something like this important scan, work could go to hell for once and baby takes priority.

Hopefully once you finish work you'll be able to focus on yourself and have some much needed time to enjoy being pregant without all this stress.

thanks for all your comments, unfortunately my work situation is a bit complicated to explain in full detail for you to understand. Because of the high pressure and the difficulties im having, i am leaving at 22 weeks. But right now it is only myself and my partner so even though yes i could take a whole day off if i wanted, i wouldnt t have transport and my partner wouldnt be able to come with me. The paid/unpaid time issue is irrelevant , i couldnt care less if i missed a days pay.

Ive already said i know i need the scan- i know how important that is, and dont you think i want it?!! i But I wanted my partner there hence why i had arranged it out of work hours, im sure all of you with a partner expecting your first baby could understand that??

Maybe it seems i am just being awkward and maybe its hard to sympathise too much, but i have arranged everything the best i can given our unique situation, and to be let down 3 days before, after confirming twice this week alrea, and with no satisfactory solution so far as i can see, is really disappointing.

well.. the only suggestion i can give you.. is that..you come back either on your own.. or with your partner at 22 weeks and have a private scan booked for then.. where are you based at 22 weeks? maybe we can help you if you tell us what area you are in?

unfortunately i will be in singapore at that time, for 3 weeks.

dont worry about it, i will be fine and i'll find a way. I guess i just wanted to rant and maybe some sympathy. I didnt expect anyone to be able to resolve it for me because nobody would fully understand the work and living situations myself and my partner are in together. We had been lookign forward to the scan for so long. I have started ringing around for alternate private scans before next week but so far no joy as all booked up. I'll keep trying though and find something. I know you've all tried to help so thanks for your comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back