Canceling Holidays

port7

Reaction score
Hi,

We are still in our 1st trimester and are due to go into the 2nd around the 18th of April. We also have a holiday to the maldives booked for the 16th of April for a week.

Speaking to the doctor today they said the flight is OK but what you can catch over there may be an issue, and the jabs could also be an issue too. They have said that they are happy to do a doctors note for us, if we want to cancel.

My question is what is the deal with canceling holidays (we are with Thomsons) for pregnancy.

Has anyone done this? What is the deal usually?

Can't see the T+C at the mo' as I am at work and they are at home.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Hi there..

What exactly does your doctor think you will catch there???

I have been to the maldives but I did travel there from malaysia and I had some jabs before going to Malaysia I recall..... are the jabs all strictly forbidden when pregnant? what a bummer!

I have to say it was the most wonderful holiday of my life so far.. shame you will have to cancel.. :cry: :cry:

Have you had a look online for policies re cancellation.. I know some companies refuse to hand over deposits but I guess it will depend on reason.. not sure sorry.

The doctor mentioned hepatitus, malaria etc.

Hiya,

Wow, can I come with you?
I've been to the Maldives a couple of times & don't think I even saw a mozzie and if you ensure what you're eating is well cooked & drink bottled water you should be fine.
Neither me or my hubby had inoculations before we went. I'm airline cabin crew & when we used to go there on trips no one ever had extra ones done. (the only ones i've got are yellow fever & tetnus).
When going away, no matter where, we are 'advised' to get this and that done as precautions but I think this is more to do with them covering themselves so people don't sue!

We went to New York when I was 12 weeks preggers & again didn't get any jabs done & we were going to go to either Tunisia or Egypt in Jan but decided to save our leave & I think you'd be more at risk going there than the Maldives.

As to cancelling your hols, personally I would go & enjoy yourself. I found this link for Thomsons T&C's (It'll probably cost you alot of money!

http://www.thomson.co.uk/po/showTerms.d ... opic=terms

Also found this about repellants http://www.babycentre.co.uk/expert/536418.html

And finally!! There's this link about the healths risks (or not) in the Maldives http://www-indoex.ucsd.edu/observatory/generalinfo.html.

Obviously its up to you what you do, but if I were you go & get a great sun tan!

Hope this helps.

Nicki.x :D

hhmm.. cannot remember for sure but I know I had the hep b vaccine but took nothing for malaria. My sis worked in Maldives for 2 years and she also did not take anything for malaria as the pills / jabs can make you quite ill.

Have you talked to your midwife about these vaccines etc?

I know that the earlier you cancel your holiday the better the more money you will get back.

But have you thought of selling your tickets its really easy just to change the names over and you might make some money!

But I think I would go on holiday, unless you are a real worrier then it is probably best not to go.

I am due in october and have a holiday booked in september...didnt know i was preg when booked it ob...about f'd there...have paid deposit too :(

have you thought about just getting some good advice about what things to avoid etc whilst you on holiday? im going to egypt on thursday and i did not have any of the vaccinations so the nurse told me all the things i can not eat and what to loook out for and a load of leaflets for me to read! if you are staying in a good hotel which is used regulary by tourists you will find that it will be very low risk for catching anything! do some homework before you cancel you will find the chances of catching things are very small and once you know what things to avoid even smaller. do not worry so much and have a lovely holiday whilst you can!!

love sarah x

Have you thought about changing the location of your holiday? you might have to pay a little fee but at least ypu'll still get your hols

I dont think the hol company will give you money back because you are PG as you are still ok to fly and medically if there is nothing wrong with you then the Dr can only say its because your PG I went to the dominican when I was 8 weeks and had my jabs before I got pregnant but I never took the malaria tablets as your not allowed to and I was fine. You might be allowed to change the destination but dont think you'll get a refund

Hi Port7

I travelled to Maldives when I was 10 weeks pregnant for 2 weeks, I have a history of DVT and that ws my doctors onlt concern he prescribed an anti clotting injection which I took.

I went had a fantastic time, obviously I could not do the diving and that but I was able to do the snorkeling. I would becareful with the what you eat and wouldnt advise the fish but the food was great other then that.all freshly cooked.

I would also ring the airline and see if you can get your seat upgraded, i did this as we flew monarch and there seating sizes are ridculous they upgraded me to etrax leg room seats once I explained I was pregnant and due the long flight and DVT issues I got one.

Regarding the jabs when I went for them I didnt realise I was pregnant I told them I was trying and she gave me drugs which wouldnt harm the baby if I was pregnant. subsequently I had these on the friday and found out I was pregnant on the Monday :lol:

I think you would be ok The only thing a travel agent would possibly do is transfer the holiday to an alternative destination but you would incur quite substantial charges for this

Hope this helps

Sarah

Well we cancelled!

The other half is a professional worrier so decided that it was not worth the chance!

We got 50% back from thomsons and are going to have to talk to the insurance company to get the rest back

This baby better be worth it!

Aww hunny, sorry to hear that :( . Fingers crossed your insurers give you some money back.
Don't worry, when you're holding your little one the Maldives will seem like a million miles away and he/she will def. be worth it. :D

i agree i would give everything up my little girl :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back