Can you catch chickenpox via third party?

GF91

Reaction score
It was my nephews birthday party on the weekend, I took my little girl to my sisters mums house (she's my half sister) where I was told that her other half brother (no relation of mine) children weren't coming as they had chicken pox. The kids had been in the house a few days before so I was really anal about my LG touching stuff, but when the brother arrived back from seeing his daughters, before I could stop him he had scooped my LG up in his arms and was planting a kiss on her cheek. She's woken up this morning really snotty and floppy, temperature, clingy, crying mess... Am I being paranoid or is it possible that she could've picked up the infection through him?

I think it is possible if the brother had caught chicken pox himself but hadn't developed the rash yet as it's contagious for a couple of days before the spots appear. Looking at the NHS website it's also possible if he had droplets on his clothes from very recent contact. Sounds pretty unlikely so hope this isn't the case for your lo. A link to the NHS website is below x

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2586.aspx?CategoryID=200

Thank you for replying. I'm hoping it's just a coincidence and she's just caught a cold from somewhere!! See what the next 48 hours bring I guess xxx

The only way your daughter could have caught chicken pox is if she came into contact with someone who was contagious (like the brother or one of the children at the party) and they are contagious from about 2 days before the spots appear so it's possible that someone had it but wasn't showing the spots yet.

That said, incubation of chicken pox takes around 5-7 days or more with the spots showing up a few days after that. So if the party was only this weekend/2 days ago your daughter can't have caught it from there (if she has it).
Chicken pox cases peak between March & June I believe, so she may have caught it from somewhere/someone else.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chickenpox/Pages/Causes.aspx
This page says incubation is between 7 and 21 days, so again, if your daughter is presenting with a runny nose etc now it's either a coincidence or she came into contact with a contagious person before the party (like a week ago or more) x

It's really not that bad though & better to get it when they are young. Mine were 5 and 2.5yrs old respectively, the 2 yr old did a lot better with it than my eldest (fewer spots, didn't really seem bothered by it).

Last edited:
My LBs just caught it.

His started as a runny nose and temp last sunday.
Last Wed night i noticed a spot on his neck. Didnt even think CP what so ever.
By 4am he was roasting with a temp of 40, popped my light on to give him some calpol and i noticed 4 spots on his face and a few on his back!

He goes to nursedy tues & fri every week so im guessing hes caught them from there.

So yeah keep an eye id say within a few days ull noticed them appearing if shes got it.

Im surprised with how few he has, i caught them at 3 and was covered head to toe! Hes hardlt noticed his and only scratched a few times.

Hope if it is CP she recovers really quickly x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back