Can mastrubation in the first trimester really bring on a M/C???

Missybee

Reaction score
I've been reading many forums where women and even some medical professionals have debunked the whole idea of "It's not safe to mastrubate in early pregnancy"..

Well, I've come across this website which really freaked me out. The "Doctor" states the following:

"The masturbation done resulting in orgasm can affect the pregnancy by causing uterine contraction (that can result in endometrial or placental separation causing bleeding and miscarriage). Use of foreign objects or fingering can lead to introduction of infection that can also result in miscarriage. Avoid masturbation during first 3 months of pregnancy. If there is no risk factors involved, sexual contact/intercourse is not contraindicated (intercourse should be preferably protected). Visit your doctor/gynecologist for further clarification and assistance."

Anyway, I've been feeling very horny lately and have pleasured myself on quite a few occasions but I'm feeling quite quilty now! I'd hate to think I could endanger this pregnancy in any way. But I only mastrubated because logical reasoning dictated that it was prefectly safe. I mean, how the heck did we all get pregnant in the first place? Besides, if it was in any way detrimental to reproduction to have orgasms while pregnant (a time when a lot of women get raging hormones and go all horny) then surely, our species would have been decimated in numbers from the start!

Anyone else mastrubate in early pregnancy?? Did you go on to have a healthy baby? What do you all think about the above?

stay away from dr google. Are you really going to trust the advice of some indian doctor you've never heard of? if you want health info stick to the official websites like the nhs one.

Sex is safe in pregnancy unless your mw or doctor advise otherwise. Some people who had bleeding early on etc are told to avoid it in the first trimester. I don't see how it would be any different to sex frankly.

You need to stay away from google- and if you have to google, then only use the NHS!

"It's perfectly safe to have sex during pregnancy. Your partner's penis can't penetrate beyond your vagina, and the baby cannot tell what's going on. It is normal for your sex drive to change during pregnancy though. Don't worry about this, but do talk about it with your partner."

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/sex-in-pregnancy.aspx

There is talk that orgasms cause contractions, which is why sex is recommended for bringing on labour, in the ninth month.

The chances of this happening before baby is ready is still remote, and the reason why you do not need to refrain from having sex unless your midwife has specifically advised it.

Contractions after orgasim are normal. Contractions during pregnancy are normal. Braxton hicks contractions actually start early in pregnancy but most women are not aware of them until much later on. Pregnancy hormones protect you from going into early labour. There is no reason to believe that normal contractions will cause problems with your placenta in a normal pregnancy. If you already have problems with your placenta, shown on an ultrasound, unexplained bleeding or a history of preterm labour you might be recomended to go on 'pelvic rest' which means no sex or orgasims.

I understand ladies, I've already been using the NHS website but it doesn't really give in debth information about mastrubation in the first trimester. It refers mainly to sex. The orgasms brought on by clitoral stimulation are more violent than the ones had with sexual intercourse (i know it is in my case). Even the odd link I came across and posted doesn't really imply that one should abstain from sex, just mastrubation.

My partner is in the U.S. so I have to take matters in to my own hands (puns fully intended). It's so easy to get paranoid in the first trimester.

Last edited:
Contractions after orgasim are normal. Contractions during pregnancy are normal. Braxton hicks contractions actually start early in pregnancy but most women are not aware of them until much later on. Pregnancy hormones protect you from going into early labour. There is no reason to believe that normal contractions will cause problems with your placenta in a normal pregnancy. If you already have problems with your placenta, shown on an ultrasound, unexplained bleeding or a history of preterm labour you might be recomended to go on 'pelvic rest' which means no sex or orgasims.

Thank goodness I don't have any bleeding but I'm only 8 weeks + 2 days and don't really know anything. I can't wait to have my first scan so I can get on with my life!

Only if you have been advised not to. I was told no sex of any kind due to a haematoma. But in normal circumstances I always thought it was fine.xx

Hi Missy, I've also been wondering whether it's safe too. I have a weak cervix and think that my orgasms may have brought on my prem labour. There's no way I'm doing anything remotely sexual this time xx

I think you do need to be careful to clean your hands / toys properly before masturbation as an infection could be potentially harmful. But Ive never heard that orgasms will hurt baby. If in doubt though, stay away from random Google sites and call your doctor or midwife. They've had every questions under the sun thrown at them so don't be shy.

Last edited:
I've been reading many forums where women and even some medical professionals have debunked the whole idea of "It's not safe to mastrubate in early pregnancy"..

Well, I've come across this website which really freaked me out. The "Doctor" states the following:

"The masturbation done resulting in orgasm can affect the pregnancy by causing uterine contraction (that can result in endometrial or placental separation causing bleeding and miscarriage). Use of foreign objects or fingering can

Anyone else mastrubate in early pregnancy?? Did you go on to have a healthy baby? What do you all think about the above?

This is an old post but I wanted to describe my experience. I was about 4w 5d pregnant with strong symptoms and hcg bloid test came back 246 when I decided to masturbate...As soon as I had orgasm, I felt something detaching from my uterus, a feeling of release but the problem is that that was my embryo...Sure enough, next day I felt not pregnant anymore, symptoms faded away, my breasts started feeling itchy rather that filling up and painful, also yge uterus pressure aND early braxton hicks were gone right after orgasm..I knew it was over...I had another blood test next day, my hcg had fallen to 56 then to 0 after 4 more days. I don"t advice taking the risk. We are totally heart broken as we have through a lot to get where we were...I will always feel guilty for it...

Clit orgasms cause the uterine to contract. Red Raspberry Tea also causes the uterine to contract and doctors advise AGAINST taking this during the 1st trimester because the placenta is developing. In fact, they say not to take the RRT until the 3rd trimester. (Doctors recommend RRT in the 3rd trimester because it tones the uterus by causing contractions, to prepare for a less painful delivery).

For my first two miscarriages, I started bleeding after a clit orgasm at about 5-6 week mark of pregnancy (implantation), and I miscarried both babies with the start of the clit orgasm bleeding. The bleeding turned into a full menstruation, and the clit orgasm and contractions were the immediate onset.

Science seems not to have explored whether clit orgasm can cause placenta detachment during the 1st few days of implantation. Some women have weaker cervixes than others. I am not comfortable taking the word of healthy women who have no trouble staying pregnant on this issue. If there are lots of women that can have clit orgasms and hold the pregnancy, doctors will make a blanket statement saying that uterine contractions are safe during implantation.

If you have a history of miscarriages, I would say to avoid it for the first trimester.

Here is some information I found online:

Medical study shows that uterine quiescence is needed for implantation; however, uterine contraction is useful to get the egg and sperm to the cervix: "Embryo attachment to the predecidualized endometrium and its invasion may be determined by the expression of proteolytic enzymes that require uterine quiescence for implantation. . . . Progesterone promotes local vasodilatation and uterine musculature quiescence by inducing nitric oxide synthesis in the decidua. At present, until new evidence emerges to demonstrate otherwise, the effects of progesterone are, directly or indirectly, the only determinant of endometrial preparation for embryo nidation, with the induction of uterine quiescence being one of these effects. SUMMARY: Adequate uterine contractility may provide for gamete/embryo transportation through the utero-tubal cavities and successful embryo implantation in spontaneous or assisted reproduction. Inadequate uterine contractility may lead to ectopic pregnancies, miscarriages, retrograde bleeding with dysmenorrhea and endometriosis." Uterine contractility and embryo implantation by Bulletti, C. and de Ziegler, D (2006).

UTERINE CONTRACTIONS" AFFECTING IMPLANTATION by Ineebee: "Anything that causes uterine contractions could affect the implantation process." Supposedly only applicable to IVF patients, but I don't see why this wouldn't pertain to naturally conceived embryos trying to implant.

Intercourse at the Time of Implantation Confers Lower Chance of Conception by Michael A Thomas M.D. "Synopsis: Couples attempting natural conception were found to have a lower chance of success per cycle when intercourse took place at or around the time of implantation."

Sorry it won't let me post web site addresses for the articles, so I could only give the article names and authors!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back