Can I do root canal treatment during first trimester

ElzaJo

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am in a dilemma right now. Two weeks back, I had a severe toothache for my premolar and consulted and they asked me to prepare for root canal treatment. I had my first visit there in the last week and my second visit is on this Friday. But in between something happened yesterday I have seen two lines in my pregnancy test kit. And I am sure that I am pregnant. Can I continue my dental treatment? Will it affect my baby?

You need to let them know coz some anesthetics aren't safe. But I had a root canal heck I had a crown when pregnant with my son but I was further along. Though remember if you've had your maternity exception card the treatment is free on NHS.

Last edited:
I need treatment on a tooth. My dentist said most dentists will go ahead. She prefers to wait until at least later in pregnancy. She patched my tooth up temporarily without using any injection which was an imediat relief ( i was in severe pain before that) and it has settled down well since so I'm waiting until after the baby to get it fixed properly.

Ideally I would have waited too but I bit fine on my tongue bar and split my tooth in half it.... was.... well i think labour hurt less lol. Which reminds me I need to get a plastic tongue bar lol.

Yeh I totally agree. Tooth pain is worse than labour! I was sceptical about leaving it but it has worked out okay. If it had stayed as painful as it was to start with I wouldn't have hesitated to insist on getting it sorted sooner. I don't think the tooth is even going to get fixed its in such a bad state. She said we could try a crown but she thinks it will keep giving me problems so its better to pull the tooth.

Last edited:
I agree with Eryinera, you should inform yr doc that you are pregnant. In case of complications a doc might prescribe antibiotics and she/he should know that you are expecting a baby. Here are a few recommendations what you should consider if you decide to undergo dental treatment during yr pregnancy. Of course, the ideal situation would be to make a dental appointment before getting pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back