Can I change my leaving date?

madam bully

Reaction score
I am due to go on maternity leave in 3 weeks and I will be 37 weeks pregnant but I am finding it really hard at the moment and a couple of weeks ago I was admitted to hospital with chest pains and finding it hard to breathe and had a CT scan to check I didn't have a clot or anything. I was given the all clear but have since found it more and more difficult to get about and all that.

Am I allowed to bring my maternity leave forward by a couple of weeks or will I have to be signed off by a doctor?

I am just really worrying as my boss is an arse and I actually have a new member of staff starting in my last week and I will have to train them but I will be 37 weeks pregnant and if I am finding it hard now what am I going to be like then!?

This is what I was told by our HR department:
Thank you for your email, in answer to your query you will need to inform us of the date you wish to start your maternity leave from 15 weeks before the expected week of confinement (25 weeks into your pregnancy). You can change this leave date at any time, however, you will need to give us 28 days notice.

You may wish to consider taking annual leave before your maternity leave date, this would need to be discussed with your manager and depend on how much annual leave you have available.

Please could you provide us with a date you think you may start your maternity leave from and you can then request us to change this when you are more certain, (as long as you give us 28 days notice).

So yes but you are too close now. Do you have any annual leave you can use? I worked up until 38 weeks exactly (my materity leave official started at 38weeks and 4 days). However I used annual leave so that I wasn't doing full weeks for those last 2-3 weeks as I was finding it hard going. I found just taking the wednesday as leave helped break up the week.

i was told you can leave anytime after 28 weeks hun, i was supposed to leave at 36 weeks but ended up leaving at 32 i just told my employer that i was finding it to much and gave them 24 hours notice

It's just my boss is such an idiot, really hasn't a clue how to manage people :x Already made me feel guilty about leaving, then it was a mad rush to find a new member of staff to start before I leave and then keeps asking me when I am coming back.

I don't have any holiday left, I tried to use it all before I left as I know that he would 'forget' to pay me holiday if I wasn't here and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

He is on holiday this week so I may talk to him next week about maybe cutting down my hours for the last 2 weeks.

I know it's only a few weeks but it's making me miserable just thinking about being at work :(

If your doctor signs you off sick now with a pregnancy related illness your maternity leave will automatically start from the 1st day of sickness if you are within 4 weeks of your edc

Changes that will affect the start of SMP
The start of your SMP will change if:

your baby is born before the start of the 11th week or before the start of your SMP pay period. If this happens SMP will start from the day following the birth of your baby
you are absent from work because of your pregnancy at the start of or in the 4 weeks before your baby is due, SMP will start from the day following the first complete day you are off work because of your pregnancy related reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back