Can endometriosis go undetected on ultrasound?

Snidy

Reaction score
So to give a brief summary, I have been actively TTC for about 1 1/2 year and prior to that about 1 year of not protecting but not “trying”. I’m 24, I eat healthy, I work out and my boyfriend is 28 and is also fairly healthy. Well my boyfriend was checked out and things were fine on his end. On my end the only “diagnosis” I have received is a retroverted uterus. I’ve had a few vaginal exams and an ultrasound and my gynecologist said everything looked normal. My concern is that ever since I’ve had a period, they have been very heavy with lots of clots and very painful. I experience painful back pain. Sex is also painful (with deep penetration). My periods are usually 28-30 days. I’m considering changing doctors and look more into endometriosis as my grandmother had it and I have a lot of those symptoms. Would an vaginal ultrasound miss endometriosis? And could that be the cause of my unexplained infertility?

As far as i am aware a vaginal scan wouldn't be able to definitely show that you had endometriosis, if it caused cysts to grow then it can detect those.
Your retroverted uterus is probably causing you the back pain and the painful sex hun.
Endometriosis doesn't make you infertile though hun so this probably isn't the reason you haven't fallen pregnant yet and retroverted uterus wouldn't be the reason either.
Have you had a HSG? (x-ray on your tubes to see of any blockages) x

From what I’ve read 30-50% of women with endometriosis can experience infertility so I think it could be the cause and I have a strong feeling that I have it. I’m thinking I would just need more testing done to see if I have it. I haven’t had an HSG done yet so I will be looking into it!

From what I’ve read 30-50% of women with endometriosis can experience infertility so I think it could be the cause and I have a strong feeling that I have it. I’m thinking I would just need more testing done to see if I have it. I haven’t had an HSG done yet so I will be looking into it!
Good luck hun.
If you are under a fertility clinic which i am assuming you are then they should be offering you the HSG test to cancel out any problems.

Good luck hun.
If you are under a fertility clinic which i am assuming you are then they should be offering you the HSG test to cancel out any problems.
Thank you! :moon: Ill definitely ask about it!

When they suspected I had endometriosis they did a laparoscopy as nothing showed on the ultrasound, that is a lot more in-depth pictures. It was a minor operation and I was put to sleep for it.

So to give a brief summary, I have been actively TTC for about 1 1/2 year and prior to that about 1 year of not protecting but not “trying”. I’m 24, I eat healthy, I work out and my boyfriend is 28 and is also fairly healthy. Well my boyfriend was checked out and things were fine on his end. On my end the only “diagnosis” I have received is a retroverted uterus. I’ve had a few vaginal exams and an ultrasound and my gynecologist said everything looked normal. My concern is that ever since I’ve had a period, they have been very heavy with lots of clots and very painful. I experience painful back pain. Sex is also painful (with deep penetration). My periods are usually 28-30 days. I’m considering changing doctors and look more into endometriosis as my grandmother had it and I have a lot of those symptoms. Would an vaginal ultrasound miss endometriosis? And could that be the cause of my unexplained infertility?

Hi seen this post cant run no endometriosis cannot be found on an ultrasound as it grows outside the uterus and in cases can attach to your bowls bladder and other places the only diagnosis is through a laparoscopy as i have it myself such a debilitating illness for me some women go with no symptoms others go through hell defo look into it if your grandmother had it you do have a good chance of having it but the sooner you get the ball rolling the better i had a 10 year battle to be diagnosed which is the average time its worth if u can going to get a private opinion sex being painful and heavy periods is defo main symptoms there is so much to the illness its alot to take in i hope this helps but the sooner u start ur search hopefully the sooner you get your answer any questions feel free to ask me goodluck!! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back