Can anyone help?

hearts81

Reaction score
Hiya i need advise from anyone who's suffered PND.

I dont know if i've got it, i dont even feel that depressed, but it was my OH who was reading an article on PND and realised i have all the symptoms

I'm stressed out most of the time
I cry all the time,i thought that was a down to hormones
I'm so nervous and worried about what people think all the time that i dont wanna leave the house
I have no concentration anymore, i cant hold a conversation or anything. My memory is so bad too. I used to be quite bright but now i even struggle reading
I'm so tired all the time but i dont do much
I've had headaches and felt crap for months

I've never had depression before so i dont know if i have it or not but i just wondered if its possible to get it 8 months after giving birth?
Also, if i went to docs would he just stick me on tablets? And do they work?

Any replies would be great thanks :D

The symptoms you have described are signs of PND but they could also be down to to other things. The best advice I can give you is to talk to either your HV or Dr, they are the best peopel to help and advise you. You can develop PND any time after the birth even 12 months after. As for putting you on antidepressants, this maywell be an option. You can discuss different treatments with your Dr, and it usually depend on what is behind your depression, i.e. if there are any specific isues then counselling may be the best or it may be that your brain has an imbalance of chemicals and if this is the case anti depressants can be very effective. Don't be afraid in talking to your Dr or HV, they will be able to help you. PM me if you want to chat. xx

Hey hun
As someone who has suffered from depression, it sounds very similar. I agree with beanie, talk to your doc...

Sue

Thanks for your replies :)

I'm gonna speak to HV on wed

Hearts, I was at the clinic this morning getting Naomi weighed and she had her three month check up. The nurse alsodid a PND scale, which scores you for PND, and I scored 7, which means that I didn't have it. I wonder if anyone else knows that scale? I might look it up...

Sue

Here we are...the Edinburgh Post Natal Depression scale....

Respondents are asked to indicate their reaction to each of the items in the scale during the previous week (8. Studies to validate the use of the tool in the UK and elsewhere have indicated that the EPDS may correctly diagnose 86 to 95 percent of cases of PND (9). Health visitors and GPs are thought to be well-positioned to help administer the questionnaire during the second or third month following the birth. Only in exceptional circumstances are professionals allowed to help women with its completion.

The statements are:

-- I have been able to laugh and see the funny side of things

-- I have looked forward with enjoyment to things

-- I have blamed myself unnecessarily when things went wrong

-- I have felt worried and anxious for no good reason

-- I have felt scared or panicky for no good reason

-- Things have been getting on top of me

-- I have been so unhappy that I have difficulty sleeping

-- I have felt sad or miserable

-- I have been so unhappy that I have been crying

-- The thought of harming myself has occurred to me.

A score of 14 or more, now revised down to 12, out of a maximum of 30, indicates that a mother may be depressed and in need of a clinical assessment of her mood.

Hope this helps

Sue

tiny sue i got a 9 i think it was :):) my HV sed not many people have that high :clap: :clap: :clap: to me

I got 14 when I did the test when Damien was 5 weeks old, and the HV arranged for me to have home visits every week after that until about a month ago. My HV read the questions and choices of answers to me though so she technically did help me with completing it (didn't know they weren't allowed to). She said my score wasn't surprising considering I had just got out of hospital with Damien after his apnoea attacks.
Sorry rambled a bit there.

Hope you feel a bit brighter soon Hazel! xx

I have never been offered this test???

It's given routinely at the 3 month checkup here, Kim. I scored a 7 despite the fact that the anxious and scared questions were "often" for me, because of my OCD. Hoever i explained that I manage it myself and she was very understanding.

Sue

I got the test ages ago but i just picked the best answer for each one- i wasn't very honest :oops: Should've been really!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back