Can anyone explain SMEP to me in simple terms?

CARNAT22

Reaction score
The websites I have looked up make it sound very complicated.

Can someone kindly give me bullet points :) :)

xxxxxxxxxx

When I was looking into it I found this website really good the short version didn't make my head explode with confusion
http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm

So on CD 8 you BD then again on CD10, which is also when you start doing OPKs.
You keep doing it every other night then the night your OPK is positive you BD then you also BD the next 2 nights.
Then leave it a night then do it again.

So if, for example, you got a positive OPK on CD13 its like this
CD8 - BD
CD10 - BD
CD12 - BD
CD13-BD
CD14-BD
CD15- BD
CD17 - BD

I really hope that's right, if not I'm just as confuzzled as you and will have made it worse for you...
I may also have made it more complicated anyway... apologies if so :)
x

Last edited:
How funny, I never looked up SMEP when TTC but this is a very similar BD pattern we used the month we got a BFP.

OK so it's sex every other night from CD 8 until you get a positive OPK then you do it 2 consecutive nights, then have a night off then do it again?

xxxxxxxxxx

I don't use OPK's and we BD more than that when I am expecting to ovulate :shock:

May have to give it a try next month though!

xxxxxxxxx

OK so it's sex every other night from CD 8 until you get a positive OPK then you do it 2 consecutive nights, then have a night off then do it again?

xxxxxxxxxx

Yep that's right. Every other night then the night you positive OPK then the next 2 nights as well (so you have 3 in a row) then a night off and one more for luck I guess!

Going to be giving SMEP a go when my cycle's back to normal, we've been doing it more than that as well. Maybe you can do it too much? lol

Going to be giving SMEP a go when my cycle's back to normal, we've been doing it more than that as well. Maybe you can do it too much? lol

My OH would agree with you there LOL!

I am not sure how often men produce new sperm? If it's every day then I can't see having sex every day casuing any negative problems with conceiving BUT it's hard going to fit in all that sex :shock: :shock:

Last edited:
I am not sure how often men produce new sperm? If it's every day then I can't see having sex every day casuing any negative problems with conceiving BUT it's hard going to fit in all that sex :shock: :shock:

Yep. Demanding routine... I assumed sperm is sort of supply and demand to a certain extent, but I suppose the more often you do it the weaker it is or at least there's a weaker concentration of sperm. But then the 3 nights in a row wouldn't make sense. Maybe the nights off are purely for a nice rest to recover!

Yep. Demanding routine... I assumed sperm is sort of supply and demand to a certain extent, but I suppose the more often you do it the weaker it is or at least there's a weaker concentration of sperm. But then the 3 nights in a row wouldn't make sense. Maybe the nights off are purely for a nice rest to recover!

The night off is to prevent chaffing LOL!

Loll i find that funny too! we doing that this month and didnt know about it! we BD on cd 9, cd11(tonight), 13,14,16,18. I just figured if sperm can live for a few days then may aswell start before ovulating and ten every secodn -ish day to keep topping it up! lol. xx

We normally average every other day but every day when I am fertile.

It's tough going :shock: LOL

xxxxxxxxx

phew!! hats off to you! Im sure my hubby wouldnt mind if we did it every day when im ferile, but i dont think i could...sometimes im just so tired and its hard to get in the mood .... lol xx

Some people just do not understand how awful all the sex is!

phew!! hats off to you! Im sure my hubby wouldnt mind if we did it every day when im ferile, but i dont think i could...sometimes im just so tired and its hard to get in the mood .... lol xx

He is starting to get pi55ed off actually.

He has noticed how at the start and end of my cycle I could take it or leave it but when I am fertile he has to be ready, willing and able!

Accused me of making him feel like a sperm donor a few days ago :shock: :shock:

xxxxxxxxxx

Oh that sounds harsh... I retract my previous comment as apparently I've not been ttc long enough for people to get stressed out, still just lots of sex to us...
xx

Oh that sounds harsh... I retract my previous comment as apparently I've not been ttc long enough for people to get stressed out, still just lots of sex to us...
xx

It's still lots of sex to us for the most part!

This month was difficult as OH was away for my fertile window so having sex with me was the last thing he did before he left and the first thing he did when he got home.

Instead of being romantic "I've missed you hurry home I cannot wait to have you" it was more along the lines of "we are going to miss my fertile window, get home, get in the bath and get me pregnant! :shock:

It's all good though, OH is a trooper and has never turned me down!

xxxxxxxx

He is starting to get pi55ed off actually.

He has noticed how at the start and end of my cycle I could take it or leave it but when I am fertile he has to be ready, willing and able!

Accused me of making him feel like a sperm donor a few days ago :shock: :shock:

xxxxxxxxxx

ha ha ha... they are so sensitive really arent they!! lol!! yeah i was accused about a month ago of having nothng better to talk about.... he said he felt like an experiment :shock:

xx

Ahh so more just the occasional off moment. My poor OH probably has all of this to look forward to!
x

Ahh so more just the occasional off moment. My poor OH probably has all of this to look forward to!
x

Yep - just the occasional moment !!!

As I say he has a moan but he never says no LOL

xxxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member