Can anybody recommend a good baby gate?

nononsense

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking around for a good baby gate for stairs. Hopefully it does not need any screw ons, which I think is quite difficult to find. I do not want any screws as I do not want to destroy the walls as I intend to sell it after 5-6 years. Anybody has any recommendation?

Thanks

We've got screw on ones which are lindam and they fit our stairs really well as they extend to fit a number of gaps. The lindam and babydan pressure ones are good too though. Just ordered one of those for my son's bedroom door as we are about to take the sides off his bed

We have the wooden babydan ones on te stairs. They look nicer too with no trip bar x

If the wall is weak either one will damage it. Our walls are weak and at the bottom it took a while but the pressure gate has made a massive hole in the wall and upstairs my oh tried to put the screw in one and the wall crumbled away instantly. Now we ditched the screw in one and have it placed somewhere else on top and on the bottom the pressure is lessened but it's easily removed. I'm glad it's just a way of my son stopping though but I do have to keep my eyes and ears opened to make sure he doesn't mess with it cause he would be able to bust through. The screw in ones do have less pressure in keeping the gate secure but then again if the walls are more sturdy then mine both will be fine!

We have one pressure fit one in the kitchen and that's by very far the best place as its placed where there is usually a door and that's really sturdy x

I don't know if you are asking about the top or bottom of the stairs. The one we have (which I use in our toddler's door so he won't be going around the flat during the night) is a non-scew one from IKEA. It is surprisingly steady, easy to install and very economical, and I'd definitely recommend it. You can't use it at the top of the stairs though.

We have a metal spiral staircase so have Lindam pressure gates with 'V' attachments to secure them top and bottom. They don't budge even with an adult pushing on them! If you have traditional stairs though a pressure gate isn't recommended for the top - we had one in our kitchen doorway but had to screw it to the frame as it got pushed over a few times so I would definitely want to screw in at the top of the stairs just in case. You can fill in the holes once you take the gate down.

The reason we went for screw in ones in the end was because they have no bar at the bottom so no trip hazard. Although our stairs are fairly standard they are quite awkward as so where you can fit the gate so we would have ended up having a stair you had to step over which isn't ideal when you are carrying a baby or toddler.

Saying that though the babydan pressure gate we've just bought for a doorway is fab, can't complain so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back