Can an expired IUD still increase risk of ectopic pregnancy?

CatLady86

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have an IUD that is pretty much 2 years out of date (long story). It is a copper one that was supposed to be for 5 years and I've had it for nearly 7 (Nova T-380).

What I am wondering is....

1. It won't be working now right? I mean, I have seen studies that show they CAN be effective for about 2 years longer than they originally thought. But I don't know for sure how effective or not effective they would be by this point :/

2. If it is NOT effective any more, then would it still increase your risk of ectopic pregnancy? 'Cos I know that getting pregnant with an IUD can increase your chance of ectopic, but I don't know if it would still do that if it's expired/not working any more.

Just looking for other people's experiences and/or input please. Thank you :)

P.S. I did not know where to post this so I hope this section of the forum is okay.

Last edited:
I know the coil is supposed to prevent pregnancy also on the basis of having your womb being occupied but I'm sure like with some other things that have expiry dates it's to cover themselves in saying we can't guarantee it's going to prevent after so many years. The risk of ectopic is increased with the coil anyway so I doubt it be any different in regards to how long it has been there. Personally, I would just get it removed and replaced. But that's up to yourself to decide x

Hi, I had that specific model of coil fitted for 6 years, I had it replaced at 5 though. Because the copper coil works by affecting the sperm and thereby making fertilisation not occur it is presumably possible that after 5 years the copper is no longer as effective. However I believe that the actual presence of the coil in your womb also creates a hostile environment for a fertilised egg to implant and that is why if some sperm does survive a fertilised egg might be more likely to settle in your tubes making it ectopic. However I wouldn't have thought being out of date by a couple of years would significantly increase be chance of ectopic. Although of course there may well be some increase. 5 years is likely to be what the company term the absolute safe point to suggest replacement, as everyone is different I am sure their tests will have found that some women had suitable protection beyond that point but that to cover themselves they give a date to replace them at a point where they did see some change in effectiveness.

I would suggest you just go get it changed, it was painless coming out and a new one going in (unlike the initial insertion which was sore!). I started trying to conceive a year after I had it changed and again having it removed for that was quick and painless - I didn't even know they'd done it! X

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back