Camping in Europe...

Lou

Reaction score
Hi

We've decided to go away camping in Europe for the New Year. My OH want us to go in the camper van to Spain. First he said we would drive through France but I think we might get the ferry instead. Have any of you guys done this or know anything about it. We won't have to worry too much about the weather because we have a decent heater.

Squig I expect you can give me some reassurance it will be ok. The furthest we've taken little Isaac is the Isle Of Wight!!! I'm a tad nervous.

Lou :)

IIRC you can get the ferry from Plymouth over to Northern Spain. My parents to and fro often into France and Spain from there.

I'd go for ferry as it means less driving over there, but longer on the water. Beware that the New Year might be grotty weather and the Channel crossing may not be pleasant. Also if its really rough you just end up sitting in the loading bay looking at the ferry until its calmed down enough to sail. I sat for 8 hours overnight on a coach once because of that. Boring and uncomfortable.

At least in a camper van you'll be able to sleep lying down if that happens :)

Sherlock said:
IIRC you can get the ferry from Plymouth over to Northern Spain. My parents to and fro often into France and Spain from there.

I'd go for ferry as it means less driving over there, but longer on the water. Beware that the New Year might be grotty weather and the Channel crossing may not be pleasant. Also if its really rough you just end up sitting in the loading bay looking at the ferry until its calmed down enough to sail. I sat for 8 hours overnight on a coach once because of that. Boring and uncomfortable.

At least in a camper van you'll be able to sleep lying down if that happens :)

wow thats doesn't sound like much fun. Right what you say about the campervan though, wherever we go we always have comfort, oh and the ability to make a cup of tea! I think we will take the ferry. Jed said the weather in spain should be warm but not hot and not cold. Be nice if thats the case, might even go for a paddle in't sea?

Thanks for your reply!

We went camping in France this year which was fun, we braved it in a tent, Sam was 8 weeks old and we had a fab time.

I would recommend the drive through France, it's a beautiful country :D

Next year we're hiring a caravan and heading off to DH's homeland of Sweden. Usually we fly but we decided it would be nice to drive this year so we're crossing across Dover/Calais, driving through France,Belgium, Germany,Denmark and across the bridge to Sverige!!

So excited :D

Last year during August we got the ferry from Dover/Dunkerque (really cheap with Norfolk line) with our caravan and drove all the way across France to Alsace (on German border) and I have to say it was absoultely FAB! Considering that in the winter this place is a ski place, I have never known heat like it!!!

I've never been on the ferry from Plymouth to Santander but it's quite a long crossing - about 36 hrs I think and fairly expensive - but at least you'd be able to get out and wander around and book a cabin whereas driving is very tiring as it would be a long journey through France.

Am v jealous - would love to do that - but with a baby who will be about 6 weeks old then I think it's a bit too much! However...for the first time I can go away during term time! YAY!!! :cheer:

Kylie.it's great with a baby!

We drove too across France and Sam slept all of the time and was perfect for the whole 2 weeks. :D

kirlykird said:
Kylie.it's great with a baby!

We drove too across France and Sam slept all of the time and was perfect for the whole 2 weeks. :D

I feel like booking a holiday now! :rotfl: I think we might go away around Easter in our 'van. Funny to think that the last time I was in it, I was about 22 weeks pregnant...now I'm a mum!

You girls have done some good travelling in Europe. Don't tell my OH, he'll have me goat herding out in the sticks!

I am looking forward to it but I have a bit of a fear of A. driving into water. and B. driving off the edge of cliffs :rotfl:

Silly I know!!!

lou said:
I am looking forward to it but I have a bit of a fear of A. driving into water. and B. driving off the edge of cliffs :rotfl:

:doh: :think:

Kylie1007 said:
lou said:

:doh: :think:

I know its daft! :roll:

I'm really looking forward to it now! Will be nice to get away just after christmas when everything is over and done with and everyone is thinking about going back to work and we'll be off on hols! We've just had a new high top put on the campervan too so we've got loads more room now to take more stuff and Jed won't be cold sleeping in the roof like he was in the pop top.

we drove to spain a couple of yrs back and for us day befre bray it was fine but with Bray i wouldnt even consider it
but then again u would never get me on a boat lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back