Calpol & Liver Damage

tlc1974

Reaction score
Maisie has a cough and I phoned the chemist to see if I should just give her Calpol or get something else. To my horror I was told Calpol doesn't do anything for coughs and colds and should only be used for fevers as it CAN DAMAGE THE LIVER!!!!

I am totally shocked and have never heard of this before has anyone else?

If it's misused then it will cause liver damage, as it is paracetamol based.

Think it was a bit off telling you that over the phone without a proper explanation!

Try some glycerol cough syrup if you can, that should help!

calpol would help but mainly for like a temp or things like that really, id try things like the medised, which is paracetamol and something to make them sleep. And i *think* it may have a mild decongestant in it but dont quote me on that.
Which pharmacy did you ring btw? (i work for one thats all)

Hi LaineyG, I am using a meltus cough medicine and I think that is helping, even with the constipation!!!

Hi Sarah,

It was a Murray's chemist don't know if that is just local to me or not?

Think I will stay well clear of Calpol from now on!!!

All paracetamol based meds cause liver damage (ie. calpol) .. all aspirin based meds cause kidney and heart damage... (nurofen). In fact most meds cause some type of damage to the body...

BUT you have to take vast quantities of the med or take it for a prolonged period of time before it will actually start to damage.

In the case of the liver, the liver is the only organ that will regenerate itself which is why paracetamol is considered a much "safer" alternative to aspirin based meds.

It is true that calpol won't do anything for a cough or a cold, but usually when you have a cough or a cold you have sinus pain, sore throat or aches and pains, and you would take a dose of painkillers yourself.. so it stands to reason that you would offer your child the same pain relief. Something with a decongestant would be advisable, but getting some baby vicks or a couple of drops of eucalyptas oil to a nice warm bath in the evening is a much more natural alternative :) Also sweet warm drinks soothe the throat... so some warm apple juice would be nice for her... :)

:roll:
That's a stupid thing for the chemist to say without FULL explanation :roll: What Squiglet said is what the chemist should have said!!
As if ANY Mummy would give something to their child that would give them liver damage in such an explained way as that!! :x
I really hope Maisie is feeling better now, and sorry you were scared like that :hug: :hug:

Medised is really good as it relieves pain and helps to ease breathing. I also use a vapour rub on Jake's chest when he has a cold. If Maisie just has a cough though and is fine apart from that then it might be worth just getting some Tixylix cough medicine or something instead.
All Paracetamol products can cause liver damage by the way but only if you overdose on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back