Calpol alternatives?

littlemonkey

Reaction score
My son point blank refuses to take calpol. Well anything that's not milk or water out a bottle. He will just spit it back out. The only way I can get him to take dentinox or gripe water is by putting it in his milk. He's had his jabs today and seems to be in a lot of pain with his legs. I just want to give him something to help with the pain! He won't even use those dummies that despense medicines! Can I put calpol in his milk? Or do they make paracetamol that disolve in water for babies?! I'm so clueless with all this stuff!

Baby nurofen is a different taste? Maybe your LO will like that? Other than nurofen the only thing id say is try a syringe to give it. We had to give my girl ranitadine which is awful and I got a tiny 1ml syringe and put it in the side of her cheek and tipped her back so she had no choice but to swallow. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Good luck. Xx

tapatalking

I couldnt get my little girl (whos just turned 11wks) to take anything, shes on prescription lactulose. Tried gripe water with a syringe and that was spat back out, lacutlose with a syringe was spat back out - until i put it in a teat from her bottle! She recognised the shape etc straight away and now takes it like a dream! The dormal (dummy) that youve bought might be a different shape to what your lo is used to, try a teat from his bottle and see how you get on!

my LO will not take Calpol. As soon as she tastes it she vomits!

she takes Nurofen a lot easier, its orange flavour so a bit different.

Baby nurofen is a different taste? Maybe your LO will like that? Other than nurofen the only thing id say is try a syringe to give it. We had to give my girl ranitadine which is awful and I got a tiny 1ml syringe and put it in the side of her cheek and tipped her back so she had no choice but to swallow. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Good luck. Xx

tapatalking

We've given it to him with a syringe, spoon and dummy. All of which he's just spat straight back out!

You can get paracetamol suppositories on prescription but not sure they are easier...

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Well, I asked in Boots today and was told it was basically Calpol or Nurofen.

I feel like I've spent every feed today having calpol spat back at me! He even spat it over my sisters new top! In the end I mixed a dose in with an ounce of formula and gave it to him before bed. He took it fine, despite the milk having a pink tint and wiff of calpol!

I'm dreading weaning him!!

if you are desperate to get medicine into your baby, there is a way that usually works, although its a cruel to be kind method!

get a syringe and push it gently into their cheek, near the back. This stops them using their tongue and pushing it all back out. Quickly empty the syringe, and close his mouth, holding it closed under the chin. Then blow HARD in their face. This forces them to swallow. You have to do it all very swiftly.

I hated having to do this though.

Max is suffering with his teething at the moment and i try and give him calpol in a syringe, but he spits it all out.
I'm going to try the putting it in his teat, to see if that works! :) x

if you are desperate to get medicine into your baby, there is a way that usually works, although its a cruel to be kind method!

get a syringe and push it gently into their cheek, near the back. This stops them using their tongue and pushing it all back out. Quickly empty the syringe, and close his mouth, holding it closed under the chin. Then blow HARD in their face. This forces them to swallow. You have to do it all very swiftly.

I hated having to do this though.

I think I'd have to be desperate to do this or get the OH to do it! I hate giving him stuff as it is cos he always looks like he's going to choke before he spits stuff out!

The good news is now he's had some, he's much more settled and gone to sleep!

im mean, i just literally push it in with the spoon and close his mouth on the days he refuses... but i know its gonna help lol.

you can get e number free clear paracetomol which is the same and i prefer it coz it doesnt suddenley wake him up with the e numbers in middle of the night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back