C sections

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by **C**, Nov 27, 2007.

1. **C**

**C** Well-Known Member

Ok, I need some words of wisdom from you here!

I've just had my 34 week appointment and baby is currently sitting breech. Now this doesn't worry me at the moment because I know with 5 and a bit weeks to go there's a good chance it'll go into the right position. However the doc and my Midwife have made me another appointment for 2 weeks and a scan where they'll try and encourage baby to move head down but if this doesn't work then obviously if baby's breech it's going to be a c-section for me!

Now I've never given it much thought as it didn't cross my mind with Harry and up until now I've just assumed it'll be a normal delivery with this one.

I'd like to know a few things....I know it's a big operation and that your supposed to not do anything for up to 6 weeks afterwards...this is a bit of a pain as living on a farm in the country and having horses, I usually need to be up and about especially if I need to go anywhere. Does 6 weeks really mean 6 weeks or can you chance driving, looking after a toddler and getting on with things as normal after a few weeks?

Also, how long do you stay in hospital for? I'd hoped to be in and out with this one and I know this wouldn't be the case with a section.

Finally, do they let you get to 40 weeks before booking you in for one, or would it be likely that it'll be a few weeks early and while everyone is enjoying their turkey, I'll be the one getting sliced into?

Thanks for your help! :wave:

2. laura-82

laura-82 Well-Known Member

Snap me too, I have to go back on 5th Dec to see if she is still breech & if so then they will book me in to try & have her turned.

I look forward hearing the replies to this coz I'm wondering this myself.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

3. Moomum

Moomum Well-Known Member

If it's planned they usually like to do it at 39 weeks. I was in for 6 days last time, but that was due to baby being jaundiced and had trouble feeding. They try to get rid of you after 2-3 day now, I believe.

In my experience, it wasn't half as bad as I expected and I got back to "normality (ish)" quicker than 6 weeks.

I let you know more after next wednesday :shock:

4. hotluck

hotluck Well-Known Member

My ante natal guy has said that 3 weeks before driving but the test is if you can put your foot down hard on the brake pedal. If you can then you're safe to drive. If you can't then you'll have to wait until you can.

I just hope after mine tomorrow that I can in 3 weeks otherwise my New Year plans will have to change.

5. Moomum

Moomum Well-Known Member

:shock: Tomorrow!! Awww - good luck hun. It'll be fine :hug: :hug: :hug:

6. mary70

mary70 Well-Known Member

you are not covered by your car insurance for 6 weeks and to be honest it is quite painful anyway, i did try at 4 weeks because i had to be somewhere but only got to the end of the road and came bk, i was in 7 days after mine but got an infection and round here they do them at 38 weeks

7. paradysso

paradysso Well-Known Member

if u ring your insurance provider, they will tell u what their happy with, some let u drive after 4 weeks, but you have to be able to perform an emergency stop, and tbh just slow slight movements kill, i cudnt even think about attempting an emergency stop :?

I was in 4 days as i caught an infection and had a fever, but this time ive been told 24 hours if it goes well, im booked in for one at 39 weeks.

last time i didnt rest and i paid the price by my wound rupturing and i was put on bed rest for a few months :cry: so this time im going to sit on my arse and be waited on for at least 6 weeks :rotfl:

8. mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

C,

I can sympathise - I live in the middle of nowhere, and 3 weeks after I had my caesarean I moved house from one bit of the middle of nowhere to a slightly more remote bit :lol: . I wasn't impressed that I couldn't drive, but given how I felt I wasn't really up to driving anywhere. I had an emergency caesarean. 6 weeks after I had my baby I was hoping to be riding my horse at the county show. In actual fact I got on him for the first time about 5 and a half weeks after I had my baby, walked him round for 10 minutes and got off - carefully! If your life involves lots of driving, lifting and generally being dependent on being very active my advice is to make sure you have help. I put my horse on livery while I was pregnant and it was the best thing I could have done. A friend of mine kept her 3 horses from home and seriously thought she could have a baby in the morning and be back home mucking out in the afternoon! She got a horrible surprise when she couldn't even get out of bed for days, and the stress of knowing she was letting horses and people down really upset her.

Someone I know had an emergency c section as her first and a planned one as her second. She said she was up and about much quicker after the planned one - even so, spend the last few weeks making sure you have help on hand if you need it (and from experience a non- horsey MIL is the last person you want around :lol: )