Buying for Baby

Kim

Reaction score
I have heard on here that superstitious people wont buy a lot for their newborn. Well I have never heard of this and have been on a right spending spree. There's nothing my little one hasn't got, and if anyone buys me a present the chance is I'll already have it lol!! Well it's not that bad but I have bought loads, I have really spoilt her. Now I'm worried... :( I have heard about not bringing the pram into the house but nothing else. Has anyone else gone mad buying?

I bought some things yesterday - it's only natural to want to buy things for them. Are you buying girls clothes or unisex? It's best to have what you need so you are prepared!

I find out the sex on wed hopefully - CAN'T WAIT!!

xxx

I'm buying girly things clothes wise, I found out the sex so thought I might as well make the most of it lol!! I had a scan at 19 weeks and 24 weeks and both times they were certain she was a girl, so I know she will be.

But the big expensive things like the bouncing chair, the cot bedding, the moses basket etc, I have bought in cream and lemon and I'm just gonna paint the walls pink and put in the odd pink blanket etc to girly it up a bit. That way if I have another and it's a boy, I wont have to buy it all again.

Good luck for your scan, you'll go mad buying afterwards if you're anything like me!! :wink:

I've bought pretty much everything apart from the baby bath and carrier. Have enough clothes for her until she's 3 months old, and nearly enough for up to 6 months. Need to buy a couple more packs of sleepsuits and a couple of outfits in newborn size but that's it. I've had the pram in my house since I was 7 weeks pregnant.
Have been told by people that it's bad luck but if something is going to happen it's going to happen regardless of whether I have too many clothes or a piece of baby equipment in my house. Those superstitions make as much sense to me as the black cat crossing in front of you etc etc. It's bollocks as far as I am concerned and people shouldn't try and make others feel bad because they are prepared - if the worst happened and my baby died would they turn around and say 'I told you so?'.

Good point. I have been given loads of stuff too and have her clothed until she is 12 months old!! I am going to try and politely tell people not to buy too many clothes as presents or she will never be able to wear them all.

I dunno if we want to get on the shopping thing all ive done since ive been 17wks and found out is shopping my lil man has clothes all the way up until hes in 24 months i think he might have more than me and the boyfriend put together....we bought a new dresser and its already filled so were working on another one that ill need soon as i just bought 60 more outfits for 20 bucks the other day....ive gone mad with bargain shopping especially since summers almost over and around here where i live everything is about 3 bucks or less so ive been stocking up on different sizes for summers and stuff like that even got my xmas done for my lil niece n nephew thanks to the good deals on clothes right now....its fun very fun.

Toledo, ohio in the untied states

yes it is abosolutely fabolous:)

Well the Dh won't let me buy much stuff because his mum said it was unlucky. Grrrrr. :evil:

We have bought a few bits but not much at all.

I really don't know when it is supposed to be safe to buy stuff. After he is born? Imagining a naked baby with no pram, no nappies, no cot, nothing. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

As far as the clothes go, even though we know it is a boy, we are mostly going to get unisex stuff just in case, as you can get some really lovely unisex things these days. Hardly any of it is yellow, thank goodness.

I didnt want to buy too much first of all as i couldnt bear the thought of having to look at it all if anything went wrong. I wasnt supersitious about it, and when i got to 20 weeks i pretty much started buying alsorts!! my midwife says you cant knock a good apple off a tree :lol:

Well I'm glad I'll be all prepared becuase I know for a fact the last thing I'll feel like doing when I've just given birth is go shopping lol!!

Exactly!

Who wants to go go shopping for heavy bulky things when you are nine months pregnant or have a tiny newborn?

Its all very well for all the good wishers to tell you to wait, but its not their huge belly or screaming newborn is it?

My OH's mum had a good idea. She suggested going to John Lewis (or wherever) and looking at stuff, then ordering it for delivery later. Makes sense to me! I don't much want to go shopping for cots etc when I'm huge, but don't have room in our tiny flat for a lot of stuff that isn't being used.

Also, a friend gave us a moses basket, which is really sweet, but it freaked us both out so much having it in our room that we've put it on the bunk bed in my OH's son's room. OH's son is oblivious to it ;o)

I went out today and bought a three pack of sleeping suits, a little hat and two pairs of those little newborn socks...all neutral as I don't know what I'm having! I have been buying nappies too, but not as many as I'd like...I just don't think of it.

That is the first OFFICIAL baby purchase. It felt really strange!

Sue

I have everything bar the cot and pram. Me and my mum couldnt help ourselves!

We have bought a couple of neutral outfits in the sales as we dont want to have to spend a fortune plus a good friend has kindly been having a sort out and given us burp cloths, towels, m&P's storage box and some small toys for newborn so washing them and putting away until needed.

Really want to buy everything but stopping ourselves until we know that everything is okay and we would like to know the sex at 20 weeks to mack things even more cost effective as well.

I was hoping to stock up each month on baby wipes and nappies but unsure how many of what size nappies would be required?? Any ideas??

hi all

am 19 weeks and up until friday had bought virtually nothing!!!- a pack of bibs, some burp clothes, scrach mitts and a pack of baby wipes! - i was being pretty cool about it all as my big sister has loads of biggish stuff that i could borrow ( sterrilliser, moses basket , monitors etc - am getting new cot and pram of both sets of grandparents to be! an a car seat obviously!

but BIG SURPRISE! my sister is expecting too! - she's 10 week behind me, so will now be needing all her new born stuff too hehehehe, i'm actually delighted that we're bothe preg together - we'll bothe be on mat leave togetherand stuff so it'll be really nice - but she said she felt terrible cos she was gona lend me her stuff - hehehe, its not a problem , i still have plenty of time to get everything, it's just i hadnt even looked at sterrilisers and monitors so am not in the know!!

luckily, i work in a big big office, an going on what my friend received 2 weeks ago when she left for mat leave, i dont think i'll be short of stuff!!

still, it's nice to know me and boyf can go out to all the baby shops and oooh and ahhh over all the tiny stuff and pick out things we like!! i cant wait!!

but blimey, i'll have to get my skates on!! - some of you seem almost all ready for your little arrivals with plenty of time to spare! - i can see me dashing round mother care in labour going " hang on, i just need to get....." hehehehehehehe

hi all
i havent bought that much, only all the baby grows and outfits untill baby is here and im well enough to go shopping for girl/boy stuff. bottle steriliser, bottle warmer and just little bits and bobs like baby shampoo and stuff like that. only really got to get the big stuff now but im waiting a bit as ive heared its bad luck
take care all

We have spent a fortune. Mum, MiL and I have been so excited that none of us can stop ourselves and why should we???? I think the only think left in the whole world that I MUST buy is a coming home from hospital suit and I have seen a fab one in Mamas and papas so the next meadowhall trip and I will be all done!!! Obviously that doesn't mean I wont have to buy anything else ...... you know if something is there......We are going to be so poor......I can't wait!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back