Bug in cereal!!

MariaIsabella

Reaction score
I feel so sick now. Had a bowl of cereal this morning and half way through i saw the head of what i think was a beetle!! So disgusting! The cereal was not old so not sure how this happened and now i am thinking it might have been several in there. The head was large with what looked like horns ( i know its horrible ) so the beetle must have been big and i could have eaten this.

I am never ever eating cereal again ( special K with berries ) but if i ate some bugs can this be bad for pregnany with parasites or something? Might be paranoid but feeling so sick now and want some reassurance!!

Last edited:
Make sure you call the company that made the cereal so you can complain and make them aware. I don't think there will be much harm from eating the bug but if you are concerned maybe speak to midwife or GP if you need to get some reassurance about bacteria at least then you will have peace of mind and they can tell you if you need to just keep an eye on anything.

Generally speaking insects are quite good for you (if sounds a bit gross!) so I wouldn't be concerned from that point of view.

What you have to remember is unless you want your food treated with every pesticide under the sun there will be wildlife in the crop so it is possible for the odd one to get packaged. Then there is also the chance it can get in during the processing and storage too.

Did you pick it out and keep it? I had half a caterpillar in my frozen veg once and I sent it back to the company who sent me a load of vouchers. Also send them the batch number and then they can look into where it might have come from.

If you eat meat I don't see a problem lol... bugs are healthier than most of the crappy meat in supermarkets!

Ewww. Poor you Maria. Ah well at least you've got your protein for the day lol xx

They're called weevils, look them up. They used to be common years and years ago with no fridges/storage/sealed containers. You may have an infestation and they could also be in your flour, sugar etc or it could be a one off in the box of cereal. There's a lot of information on how to prevent them and get rid of them online. They are meant to be more common for people that live in he country side. I just know this as my other half had weevils and we had to chuck dinner, so it's not facts just the info I read online lol xx

thanks! Felt sick that whole day and struggled eating anything! Can only eat food where I clearly can see what's in it now! Never eating cereal again!

Spoke to midwife and she actually laughed a little and said I will be fine :) haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back