Britain's Oldest Mums and Dads

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Urchin, Mar 15, 2006.

?

50+...too old to become a parent?

1. Yes, it's not fair on the kids.

2. No, it's fine if they are good parents.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Urchin

Urchin Well-Known Member

Anyone else watching this?

2. bubble_dreamer

bubble_dreamer Well-Known Member

i posted this the same time as u did :lol: have just deleted mine though :lol:

im watching it n i have to say i am so shocked its unbelievable :shock:

the way i look at it is its not fair on the kids at all
    having kids at that age you dont know if u r gonna be alive to watch them grow up not only that but what sort of pressure does that put on a child if the parent gets seriously ill n needs caring for?

as for the woman that lied about her age to get fertility treatment :shock: im speechless tbh

each to their own and all that but in my eyes it is not fair on the kids at all no child should have to grow up thinking like that little girl said 'i have to learn to look after myself now just incase mummy and daddy die' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

3. Sarah&Braydon

Sarah&Braydon Well-Known Member

i am only 18 n find it tiring enough with B So i dont thinks its fair as im sure theyy dont have the energy a baby /toddler needs

4. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

OH is watching football :( :(

5. Sarah&Braydon

Sarah&Braydon Well-Known Member

i should be but wanted to watch this lol

6. lauramumof2

lauramumof2 Well-Known Member

some of these people were good people. I see some people out in the street with kids effing and blinding at them (i saw a woman storm away from a stroppy todder and go 'f**k you then').
    It about love :D and these people loved their children.

7. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

Very true, you see middle age mothers treating their childrem terrible in the street.
    I think these people will love their kids more as they have been given that extra chance. Look at Des O'connor and David Jason, oh and Rod stewart. They are not young, or good looking in actual fact but they seem loving parents. :D :D

But there is also the fact that they won't be around to see their children grow up. :(

8. emilia

emilia Well-Known Member

My dad was 57 and my mum 42 when I was born. Dispite all the love, it was hard for me, as my parents had old fashioned ideas and were the ages of my friends grandparents. BUT, I'm sure that times have changed and that these older people having babies deserve them. Still, my answer to the poll question is NO.
    Emilia xx

9. beanie

beanie Well-Known Member

I said no but I found it hard to say one answer. I agree with lauramum01, in that I also see some younger parents swear at their kids and surely at the end of the day if a parent can give love this is the most important thing. However I was 14 when I lost my mum and it is such a horrible thing, losing your parents no matter what age you are is a horrible experience but I think that when you are still a child yourself your parents are your world, there is no-one else there. There were some parents who discovered they were pregnant by accident, and they are doing a great job. However when I read about women in their 60's having IVF it makes me angry. I have nothing against "older mums" (sorry I hate that title but don't know what else to put) and would have children in my late 30's early 40's. However I think it is selfish for a 62 yr old woman to decide she wants more children especially when they know that there is a real danger they will not see their children grow up. The menopause happens for a reason (I'm not on about early menopause but when it happens at the normal age). There was a woman who lived locally wjho was in the papers as she had been refused IVF. She was 52 and had children from a previous relationship. She wanted to have a baby with her new partner and was appealing against the decision. She felt that she had a right to have a child with her new partner.

10. BubbleOne

BubbleOne Well-Known Member

I taped it so will watch it today :lol:

11. lauramumof2

what!!!!!!! Des o'conner is a sexy man (not).
    What was the woman like who looked after the kids with problems, mainly the girl with Edwards. She was a saint, quite literally. What would have happened to that girl if she hadnt taken her in.

12. lauramumof2

what!!!!!!! Des o'conner is a sexy man (not).
    What was the woman like who looked after the kids with problems, mainly the girl with Edwards. She was a saint, quite literally. What would have happened to that girl if she hadnt taken her in.

13. Imi-Maddie's-Mum

Imi-Maddie's-Mum Well-Known Member

I don't think it's right that you have a child at that age ...

You have to look at the picture in the long run ... the child will get bullied at school, the partents won't be able to do that much with them... and they could die before the child has reached adult life ...

Thats the time to become a grandparent ... not a parent, sorry if i have offended anyone ... but in the long run yes they might be good parents but the time of life is all wrong ... sorry.

14. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the program so can't really comment, but the subject has been brought up at work today......

We have just been told that a guy we work with is going to become a Dad again in May. And he is 55 :shock: . His GF is 36 and she has a 10 year old from a previous relationship, and they moved in together a couple of months back. Thing is, he has been married before (maybe even twice, I'm not sure), has at least one grown up child (maybe more) that he hardly ever sees. He is also (and this is going to be a horrible comment, so I'll apologise in advance) a heavy drinker and smoker. He looks way beyond his 55 years, and is not really well. He shakes severly (sp?) and has an awful smokers cough. Is he going to be around to watch his kid grow up?? I think not.

It's awful because I really like this guy, and I try not to be judgemental, but I can't help feeling for this poor baby. :(

15. weestar21

weestar21 Well-Known Member

when i saw them on gmtv and that little girl said they have to be independant incase there parents die my heart sunk!! no kid at that age should have to worry about being independant incase there parents pass away makes me feel sad :cry:

16. Guest

I voted NO. I have less of a problem with dad's fathering children into their 50's, but for women I think past mid 40's is going a bit far.
    Yes they may be good parents, but knowing that you probably won't live to see your children grow to a significant age, let alone see your grandchildren, has got to make some of them stop and think surely??
    Everyone here has made good comments about the rest of the reasons for not having children so late in life so I shall leave it at that.

17. babsi

babsi Well-Known Member

I guess Kai shouldn't be here then? As my husband is 46, at least I am 27.

My husband is wonderful with Kai and he couldn't ask for a better father.

And we will be trying for another baby in a few years when he pushing 50 or so.

18. weestar21

weestar21 Well-Known Member

well good luck to you hun is all i can say!!

i guess its just one of these things everyone has different opinions on different things and at teh end of the day its there lifes i guess they will do what they want its just we are all outsiders and look at all teh diferent points of it including all teh bad points like they wont live to see there grandchildren and there children growing up knowing there parents will pass soon but i guess we are all going to die and we are all prob at the same risk of dying tomorrow by being hit by a bus than dying with old age.

sorry just ignore me im rambling on and not making any sence im craving for a ciggy but tring not to think aout it so just ignore this post

19. Imi-Maddie's-Mum

Imi-Maddie's-Mum Well-Known Member

I agree with sami ... but in the long run i don't think it's far on the child .. or there children :( sorry

20. stephlw25

stephlw25 Well-Known Member

I think that the woman who had adopted all those special needs children is brilliant!
    She loves those children to pieces and is doing and excellent job! i think she has more energy than me!!! lol and to take the family away on holiday with sooooo much planning and organising to sort out is just brilliant i reckon! :D