Bringing on labour - any experiences?

Reaction score
I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and i'm really hoping to be able to induce labour soon (37 weeks) - not because i'm impatient, because I really want to avoid a c section!

I had a growth scan with my first baby at 36 weeks because I was measuring under, and they found he was actually measuring just under 40 weeks and was already estimated to weigh 7lb 8oz
1f633.png
anyway I went into labour naturally at 39+3, and was in labour for nearly 3 whole days - but I stopped dilating at 8cm and baby's head was stuck in my pelvis and was getting distressed, so I was rushed for an emergency c section. He weighed a chunky 9lb 4oz
1f60a.png

I'm 36 weeks today and I'm under the consultant again due to my previous c section, and my bump has been measuring 3-4 weeks over since my midwife started measuring. I had a growth scan today again and his measurements are slightly bigger than on my first, and is estimated to weigh 7lb 9oz already
1f648.png
my consultant advised that I book an elective c section at 39 weeks, which I did. However she said if I go into labour any sooner I can at least try a vaginal delivery which I'd love!

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or experiences of bringing on labour themselves, and what worked for you? I'm already planning a Vindaloo curry
1f604.png

I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and i'm really hoping to be able to induce labour soon (37 weeks) - not because i'm impatient, because I really want to avoid a c section!

I had a growth scan with my first baby at 36 weeks because I was measuring under, and they found he was actually measuring just under 40 weeks and was already estimated to weigh 7lb 8oz
1f633.png
anyway I went into labour naturally at 39+3, and was in labour for nearly 3 whole days - but I stopped dilating at 8cm and baby's head was stuck in my pelvis and was getting distressed, so I was rushed for an emergency c section. He weighed a chunky 9lb 4oz
1f60a.png

I'm 36 weeks today and I'm under the consultant again due to my previous c section, and my bump has been measuring 3-4 weeks over since my midwife started measuring. I had a growth scan today again and his measurements are slightly bigger than on my first, and is estimated to weigh 7lb 9oz already
1f648.png
my consultant advised that I book an elective c section at 39 weeks, which I did. However she said if I go into labour any sooner I can at least try a vaginal delivery which I'd love!

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or experiences of bringing on labour themselves, and what worked for you? I'm already planning a Vindaloo curry
1f604.png

I don't think there is a miracle drink/food to induce labour, otherwise all women near 40 weeks would jump on it!:lol:

Maybe you could ask the midwife if you can get a pessary to induce natural labour instead of a c-section? I don't understand why they always want to perform a surgery so quickly. Did they tell you your pelvis is too narrow?x

I don't think there is a miracle drink/food to induce labour, otherwise all women near 40 weeks would jump on it!:lol:

Maybe you could ask the midwife if you can get a pessary to induce natural labour instead of a c-section? I don't understand why they always want to perform a surgery so quickly. Did they tell you your pelvis is too narrow?x

Lol that'd be great wouldn't it :) I think I just want to try anything possible to at least give it a chance

They won't induce me at all due to my previous c section for some reason (not too sure why) :(

I've been reading a lot about Raspberry Leaf tea/capsules and Evening Primose Oil, has anyone tried that?

Lol that'd be great wouldn't it :) I think I just want to try anything possible to at least give it a chance

They won't induce me at all due to my previous c section for some reason (not too sure why) :(

I've been reading a lot about Raspberry Leaf tea/capsules and Evening Primose Oil, has anyone tried that?
Do you have narrow hips?
Maybe they don't want to take the risk of your uterus ripping during labour? I had an acquaintance who had an emergency c-section with her first and wanted a natural birth with her second. When her contractions started, she went to a midwife instead of the hospital to avoid another c-section but the midwife refused since it was too risky to deliver the baby naturally. She was sent to the hospital anyways.
I don't know your history but make sure it's not much of a risk to have a natural birth, because that story didn't end well.

Unfortunately I’m not sure any of the “old wives tales” really work & baby will just come when they are ready. The only thing that I think might help is sex & lots of it lol. The semen can help open the cervix & I imagine ogasms & just the movement/positions of having sex could help get things moving. I tried everything with both of mine but the morning I started early labour with my DD we’d DTD that night & the night before. Could have just been coinscedence but worth a try. With my DS I had one or 2 sweeps from the midwife & although many others may disagree with this but whilst in the shower one evening I thought I’d try & see if I could give things a wiggle myself so pretty much done my own stretch & sweep & I started labouring that night & spent the night rotating on the birthing ball to keep it going & I had him the following day. Albeit I was 41 weeks so he was well cooked. He was 9.10lb born so I’m no doubt expecting another bigger this time too!

Sadly I don't think any of the old wives tales work either! I think there's something to be said for family history - some women just cook their babies longer and they come when they're ready. I've never known a baby come early in my family and I was no different!!

I went overdue last time and tried a few things. Could have been a coincidence that I went into labour but it does help us to feel more in control if we are atleast trying to do something to help.

I tried long walks, lots of sex and reflexology.
Labour started 7 hours after I had the reflexology. Which even if it wasn't the cause it was very relaxing.

I've heard eating dates helps. There seems to be a few scientific studies on it as they might mimic oxytocin but nothing seems to be totally conclusive. If you're getting overdue and want to try something else it's probably worth a try, I can't see any risks relating to it and even if it doesn't work its good fibre.

I've also been reading a lot of articles about old wives tales that might induce labor. A lot of the suggestions are the same, but some of the original ones I've seen are eating pineapple and eating balsamic vinaigrette.
If only there was a sure-fire way to get labor started! At this point I feel like it will never happen on its own, and I'll have to wait until after the due date to be induced :(

I’ve literally just read about a the dates helping too. As Abi said studies have shown they help. Eating 10 a day from 37 weeks. I’m deff going to give this a try just to try to prevent being overdue for once!

At 39 weeks I decided I had enough and one night decided to start using the breast pump and doing deep sumo style squats (holding the position where it felt most uncomfortable/ most pressure). The pressure below then seemed more consistent and tightenings from using the pump continued and turned into contractions. I gave birth 2.48pm the following day!!
Here's a tip though, don't eat anything spicy and don't eat too much! I had a spicy pizza that night and despite me making a point of emptying my bowels before heading to the birthing centre, said pizza was still delivered just before DS lol!! :rotfl:

Also regarding narrow hips as mentioned above, I have really narrow hips/ inverted triangle figure as well as being very petite. Family told me consistently throughout pregnancy that I would need a section as I wouldn't physically be able to get him out...
In reality i had a fairly quick, easy, textbook labour and natural birth without any pain relief (I used a bit of gas from 9cm just ready for pushing) and didn't even need stitches!! We were allowed home just a few hours later too. Honestly the width of your hips has NOTHING to do with it!! We are all different shapes but still designed to be able to birth babies :)
I think for you its probably a combination of pelvis structure internally and big babies. Although that said I have heard of women with the same and similar experiences still being able to birth naturally afterwards :)
Good luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back