Bright lights or rural bliss?

Minxy

Reaction score
Not after area specifics here, was just wondering if you're happy with the size of your community?

I love living in a city, am born and bred and can't imagine not having amenties 24/7. As I don't drive the thought of an hourly (or less frequent) public transport system scares me :shock:

What about you?

I get the best of both worlds. It's a 15 minute drive to Leeds city centre from my house, and it's a 15 minute walk to rural countryside - fields, sheep, the whole works :D

I live in a village about 10 miles from Hull centre and I love it.
I've lived in Hull all my life and only recently moved here but I would never move back there.

We recently moved from city centre to a town about 8 miles out.
I don't miss living in the centre AT ALL, We lived in a tenement flat in Edinburgh and I hated always hearing the neighbours making noises (use your imagination) and started to feel a bit closed in.
There was no way we could afford a proper house in Edinburgh so that's why we've moved to a small town. I like it because there is still a 24hr Tesco and very frequent buses (and a night bus) to the centre.
I wouldn't like to be in the middle of nowhere though!

I either want to live in a tiny little village or a big city... anywhere really that doesn't have a load of English people living in it. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i live in a tiny village but its next to two big towns which are about 20 mins away

country life for me, cant stand the rushing around of being in a city, too depressing

I live in a flat 5 mins from town and just across the road from the train station, I also have Chicago's night club litteraly right next door along with McDonalds, The bowling alley, Cannons Gym and Cinema. It has some good points but drunk people throwing up outside the communal area really isnt one of them. I hate that I havent got a garden too

I live in a tiny village and i wouldnt have it any other way, i love the quiet but i am only 30 min away from the city.

We live in the middle of nowhere, about half a mile from the villiage (population tiny) and 4 miles from the nearest shop or amenities. The nearest city is almost an hours drive and a large town 30 minutes away.

Would not change it for the world though. I love that sometimes the only person I see all day is the postie zooming past. No through traffic as we are the end of a private road and no one disturbing us. Bliss. Plus we have 'dark sky' so no orange glow from any towns affecting us. Makes for truly great star gazing in winter :)

Saying that we are moving tomorrow to a larger villiage but will still be at least half a mile from anyone else and at the very end of a farm track, so again, no one to disturb us.

I've lived in various cities, mostly overseas, Hamburg, New York, spent 5 years in Amsterdam and after that, nothing could compare city wise and was happy to go back to rural living.

I'm in a great place... pretty rural and green but at the same time built up enough to have facilities and at least 1 of everything nearby. I live right in the centre of town mind, because I can't drive. Birmingham, Derby and Nottingham aren't far on a train so if I want some city goodness for the day then it doesn't take me long at all.

I used to live in Birmingham and to be honest after a while, the lack of green got to me and I felt trapped and miserable in the concrete jungle. I grew up in a little village and I prefer having countryside as my back garden and footpaths that no-one has discovered yet.

Im a country girl :cheer: I now live in a crappy little town but I hate it! :cry: :cry: I miss living in the country really bad :cry: :cry:

Tillytots said:
Im a country girl :cheer: I now live in a crappy little town but I hate it! :cry: :cry: I miss living in the country really bad :cry: :cry:

Tillytots, did your due date get put back? I thought you were a couple of weeks ahead of me and now it seems to be only a few days :shock:

Where is the time going? :shock: :shock: :shock:

im inbetween... and i like it that way. 5 mins to glasgow city centre, and about 5 mins the other way to get into fields, farms, forests etc. Easy for shops etc, but i can also go a drive on the backlanes to clear my head, and plenty of woodland paths, viewsites etc etc

I am a country girl born and bred but now live in southampton (it was the only place we could afford for a first house with 3 beds) and i hate it!!!

I want to live in the middle of nowhere just horses and fields for miles around and my own stables in the garden filled with arabs and irish draughts. Oh and i so miss my hens..... :cry:

I hate the city and i cant imagine living in London, i'd rather be homeless in the country.... :talkhand:

I live in the middle of no-where and it's great, just as Sherlock described really. It can be a bit lonely sometimes..people don't tend to drop by..but it's how I've always lived and I wouldn't change it :D :D

I would employ a gardener though if I could afford it to tame the wilderness thats ment to be a garden :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm picky I want the best of both.

ideally a country house with land around it in a small village, next to a town :lol:

im like u minxy im a city girl. i grew up a couple miles from manc city centre and for a few years my boyf and i lived in a flat actually IN the centre- LOVED that! im a bit in between atm its not the country but its right in the outskirts- its still greater manchester but its a town in itself- it does hav some 24/7 amenities but i compare it to manchester so it seems sleepy to me!
i do love the country and hav relatives who live there and its lovely- but only 2 visit. the idea of living somewhere where its 1am and u cant pop out for a bottle of milk/loaf of bread/can of cherry coke gives me the fear!

I live in a village that has naff all, I like it but would like it a lot more if I could drive and not rely on public transport.

Id only live in a town for convinience - I am a fenland girl born and bred.

I Live in the city but i'm a country girl at heart. all my aunties and uncles and my gran live in devon and now my parents live down there. i cant wait to move at the end of this year. i love the open fields and just to look out and see green.
my uncle built his own house in the middle of some fields and has no neighbours for miles! its a bit scary when its dark but its lovely. i hate living in london its crowded and ugly and theres no fresh air!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back