Breech baby, advice plz

Heres Hoping

Reaction score
Hi had my consultant appt today, told babys growth has slowed & is still breech. Its been breech for last 6wks at every appt which im not surprised about cos ive never felt it move too far. So basically i am to get scanned again in 2 wks & if its still breech they will discuss options. She said my options will be manual turning or c section. I reallllllllly dont want a c section!!! When i asked if there was anything i could do to encourage it to turn was told there was nothing :( I know i have time & baby could still turn itself but im not feeling v confident cos i know what a lazy bum baby is, plus my sis was born breech!

So was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice to help turn baby?

Also has anyone experienced having baby turned manually??? What was it like, was it painful & was it successful??

Tnx xx

Will they not let you try & have baby vaginally even with breech? It can be done but some hospitals are against it so maybe yours is.

Try googling spinning babies, they have loads of hints & tips on turning babies x

Ive heard of a friend turning baby is painfull, no experience myself thox

We're still breech too. I have midwife Friday to check position and growth scan in 2 weeks. I was told same as you. Attempt at external manual turn or c section. I really don't want a c section. If we're still breech then ill have a go with the turn but I don't want a vaginal breech birth. My girlie is measuring 2-3 weeks ahead so she really is running out of room but still hoping she flips xxx

Will they not let you try & have baby vaginally even with breech? It can be done but some hospitals are against it so maybe yours is.

Try googling spinning babies, they have loads of hints & tips on turning babies x

My sis was born breech vaginally so i asked that, doc said they dont recommend it as its risky to baby & especially in first pregnancies so it would b c section theyd want to do :(

Been on bouncing ball for weeks but will try that site for tips tnx x

We're still breech too. I have midwife Friday to check position and growth scan in 2 weeks. I was told same as you. Attempt at external manual turn or c section. I really don't want a c section. If we're still breech then ill have a go with the turn but I don't want a vaginal breech birth. My girlie is measuring 2-3 weeks ahead so she really is running out of room but still hoping she flips xxx

How far along are u? Im scared of the manual turning but like u im considering it. The doc said it was 50/50 chance of working, so got impression theyd prefer to just c-sec. Are they worried about ur lo growth too? They said they want to check my lo growth in 2 weeks aswell, it gained weight but has slowed. Wonder is that typical of breech babies if ur having same prob then?

Was there any advice u were given or things ur trying to help turn? Naughty babies lol x

No experience but my friend had hers turned and it hurt like hell but she said it was worth it. I think you should try the turn if you can. fx both your babies get their acts together and remember which was is down! xx

my baby is breech to. i will not be having ecv...but really dont want section. go on spinning babies website and lots of things u can do and positions to try to get baby to turn. so far im having no luck..being scanned again on friday and if she is still breech they want to do ecv but i will refuse and im considering breech vaginal birth...ive already had 2 big babies though and this one smaller so far so im doing my research and speaking to all my mw and ob friends as i used to study midwifery. so gutted i might not get my normal delivery that i planned for! as my last birth was amazing :)

I had acupuncture at the beginning of my pregnancy and he told me that he has great results with turning breech babies. Maybe look into that? x

I've no experience but work with someone who had a manual turn at 37 weeks but baby turned back round again! She said it was very painful anyway and when baby turned back round she thought she was in labour. Suppose a big turn at full term could be pretty painful :-( hope the babies turn for you both x

I don't have any experience but I know they recommend bouncing on the ball, and getting down on all 4s as they say scrubbing the floors can help to encourage babies to turn x

Have no experience myself but also know someone who had baby turned and said it was very painful and it didn't work for her. I've read, think it might have been on that spinning babies website someone mentioned, that getting onto your knees on the sofa and leaning forward on to the floor on your hands, so your bum is basically sticking up in the air, can help turn baby. Not sure it would be very comfy tho so not sure how long you would be able to do it for but I'm guessing every little helps lol. Good luck xx

I only know what I was told in the antenatal class but apparently they will have a good go at turning the baby manually, that could work, or they might turn on their own, I suppose you just have to wait and see.

I can understand you don't want a c-section but if that is your best option in the end you won't be too bothered I'm sure, you'll just want baby to be ok and be happy to have them arrive :)

An ECV does hurt they scan you cover your bump in talc and try and turn lo doesn't always work and babies can spin back. There are some risks and it hurts. My lo was breech at 29 weeks and they are not sure where it is now but will be having more growth scans. this might be of interest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxibustion They should have included vaginal delivery as an option they cannot force you to have a section.

How far along are u? Im scared of the manual turning but like u im considering it. The doc said it was 50/50 chance of working, so got impression theyd prefer to just c-sec. Are they worried about ur lo growth too? They said they want to check my lo growth in 2 weeks aswell, it gained weight but has slowed. Wonder is that typical of breech babies if ur having same prob then?

Was there any advice u were given or things ur trying to help turn? Naughty babies lol x

I'm coming up 35 weeks. She was breech at 28 weeks, then head down and starting to engage at 32 weeks growth scan, then breech at midwife check. I had noticed a lot of strong movement just before this appointment and a lot of kicks to my lower left which I am still getting so I think she's still the same. I've had 2 big babies and she was estimated at 5 pounds at the 32 week scan, so they're not concerned with growth but she looks likely to be a porker!

I'm happy to try to be turned. If its too painful then ill stop them. I really don't want a c section but my cousin had a very traumatic breech vaginal birth last year and I am not attempting the same with a large baby. Just my personal feelings which are probably quite strong because of my cousins experience.

I was told to bounce on my ball but that in reality baby will decide where she wants to be. We've still got time for them to behave so fingers crossed for us both! I will update on Friday after I've seen the midwife xxx

Thanks for ur comments ladies, feeling rather scared about a ECV, do they offer any pain relief while doing it??
I really want to avoid c sec if i can so im going to try everything possible to flip the wee monkey myself! Had a look at the spinning babies site & have already tried a couple of exercises, feel bit sicky from it but will see how it goes, feel like ive a two week dead line now lol

Good luck for friday LynseyM & lulula, hope the babies have moved thier bums & us get good news. Let me know how u's get on. Are yous trying any of the spinning babies exercises , if so which ones & how often are u doing them? FX they work!! xx

I've not got any personal experience, but they tried it on a lady on show on BBC3 and it didn't look pleasant at all and they were also unable to get the baby to turn. On my NCT course we were discussing a lady who had just had a birth centre delivery and had delivered her baby vaginally and it was breech. She had no complications, but obviously there are risks. Maybe discuss the risks and weigh up each option.

i am trying everything!! my friend who is very much into chdbirth and all things natural has also told me to try the frozen bag of peas...if u google it u will c what i mean lol. she has had 2 friends who have had iuds following ecv so i am completely put off it and also as a student i witnessed a women having it done and it was horrific with complications to follow. as my friend was saying...we dont fully understand why the baby is breech and likely there is a reason...trying to force it round may do more harm than good...i mean i have had 2normal deliveries where babies both head down all along and this one has been persistant breech...im just wondering why...but obv need to make the decision based on what is safest for baby. on another note...today i realised that everytime i feel baby hiccup it is right at top of bump obv where head is...i googled it and it does say that this is a good indication of where the babys head is...i have never ever felt hiccups below belly buttonthis time but in both pregnancies before i always felt them in lower pelvis. tonight baby was hiccuping away and i could properly feel her big round head just to the right at the very top of my bump.so im really sure she is still breech. i feel like i still have a lot of research into the breech birth to do...i would much prefer to deliver vaginally but the issue is the confidence of medical staff in doing so as they have lost skills over the years...i was taught at uni how to do breech birth and had to learn manouvers to assist in delivery however im sure as these are rarely practiced medical staff would be more panicked in a breech delivery as it is out of their comfort zone....we have to weigh up all pros and cons and go with what is best for each of us. just do what u feel is right for u and ur baby. xxx

With an ecv you are given an injection that relaxes the womb/uterine muscles to make it easier to turn baby xx its more of an uncomfortable feeling my friend told me..
There is the ice block on top of uterus at baby's head and warmth light or sound at the bottom to attract it... k
On all fours rocking and rotating your hips... also getting your head lower than your bum so for example kneel on the edge of bed or steps and lean forward with hands on the floor best to attempt with someone to support u first time. ... do 3 deep in and out breaths n back up... do this a few times day....
Handstand in deep water in a swimming pool. ..
Lol my bubz is breech too so I'll be trying them...
Someone said moxibustion it is on my list to try if bubs hasn't turned by my next scan it apparently has a good success rate xx good luck xx

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

i am trying everything!! my friend who is very much into chdbirth and all things natural has also told me to try the frozen bag of peas...if u google it u will c what i mean lol. she has had 2 friends who have had iuds following ecv so i am completely put off it and also as a student i witnessed a women having it done and it was horrific with complications to follow. as my friend was saying...we dont fully understand why the baby is breech and likely there is a reason...trying to force it round may do more harm than good...i mean i have had 2normal deliveries where babies both head down all along and this one has been persistant breech...im just wondering why...but obv need to make the decision based on what is safest for baby. on another note...today i realised that everytime i feel baby hiccup it is right at top of bump obv where head is...i googled it and it does say that this is a good indication of where the babys head is...i have never ever felt hiccups below belly buttonthis time but in both pregnancies before i always felt them in lower pelvis. tonight baby was hiccuping away and i could properly feel her big round head just to the right at the very top of my bump.so im really sure she is still breech. i feel like i still have a lot of research into the breech birth to do...i would much prefer to deliver vaginally but the issue is the confidence of medical staff in doing so as they have lost skills over the years...i was taught at uni how to do breech birth and had to learn manouvers to assist in delivery however im sure as these are rarely practiced medical staff would be more panicked in a breech delivery as it is out of their comfort zone....we have to weigh up all pros and cons and go with what is best for each of us. just do what u feel is right for u and ur baby. xxx

sorry whats an iud?? I havent read up on the ecv but think it sounds horrific, my baby goes mad & kicks out at the probe when being scanned so god knows how it would react to that! Ive started doing breech tilts & forward inversions so plan to start doing that every day. Will try the cold peas too, everythings worth a try! My lo has been persistent breech too, ive always felt its little hard head under right rib, occasionally seeing it poke out & roll. Interesting u say that their often breech for a reason. My mum had her first (my sis) by breech delivery, out bum first, it was bk in 70s so mum says there was no choice, just told to get on with it with gas & air....can u imagine! So i was wondering was it a family thing? I feel ive like a two week dead line to 1) shift baby & 2) decide what we will do. worried il arrive in to nxt appt, baby still breech & they spring an ecv on me. Hope u get the support from ur hosp with a possible breech delivery, i got the impression that they would prefer the c sec as its easiest for them too. i just got a little upset earlier to oh, will feel disappointed if i have to be booked in for c sec. know a norm delivery can also lead to c sev but feel bit sad that i might not get to experience anything of labour :( We shall see, babies start spinning!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back