Breastmilk - Storage? *ANOTHER QUESTION*

happy-chick

Reaction score
Ive just expressed about 120ml of breast milk as was advised to express to make them more comfortable as they were really full & becoming engorged, ive put the milk in the fridge to store.

Ellie wont have the full 120ml all at once so how do I go about making sure none is wasted? Do I need to split it into seperate containers or can it be heated then what she doesnt have put back in fridge A& used for next feed? :?

Sorry to sound dumb!! Thanks :)

ANOTHER QUESTION

I expressed some milk for DH to give Ellie in the night, he went to warm it up and when he came back she didnt want it & went to sleep... Im presuming this means that milk is no good to use again :( Its been tipped away now but just feels like a massive waste to throw away expressed milk :?

happy_chick said:
Ive just expressed about 120ml of breast milk as was advised to express to make them more comfortable as they were really full & becoming engorged, ive put the milk in the fridge to store.

Ellie wont have the full 120ml all at once so how do I go about making sure none is wasted? Do I need to split it into seperate containers or can it be heated then what she doesnt have put back in fridge & used for next feed? :?

Sorry to sound dumb!! Thanks :)

If you heat it,I don't think you can use it again :think: You can split it into seperate containers then freeze one and use the other.It can be kept in the fridge for 24 hours,forzen for 3 months,but i'm pretty sure that if you heat it you have to throw out the remainder..you should freeze some though,that's what I do and it's really good...I just defrost Willow's the night before and I have a store built up,you can defrost it quickly in warm water at a pinch..

Hey honey i wouldnt re re heat it if you know what i mean!, just seperate the remainder into a seperate bottle for future feed and stick in the fridge xx

So u think split it into 2 now ready? What do u use to store it in freezer?

Hi there

I use the Tommee Tippee express pump - this is sterilised when I express (I usually express 5 oz) and then I transfer this into a Boots own milk storage bag to freeze. Sometimes I put it in the fridge if I know OH is def. going to feed LO and then I keep it in the bottle I expressed into and put lid on etc. and store at back of fridge. The temperature is more constant here rather than near door which gets opened and therefore temp. varies.

The milk in the bottle in fridge is warmed in bowl of hot (not "just boiled") water and then used. if LO doesn't take all of it we discard the rest. It seems a waste but we never reheat. Sometimes we get more out of the freezer and thaw under running hot tap or I top her up on boob if need be.

But general advice is best way to thaw frozen expressed milk is in fridge I usually take it out the night before we use and it's defrosted by next day.

Hope this helps. I had loads of Qs about storage/thawing etc of milk before I was brave enough to start!!!

X

You could buy milk storage bags from Boots. They are very easy to use and they are pre-sterilised as well. Just fill them, write down amount, date and time and put them in the freezer. :)

Hey chick, you can't reheat it, same as formula I think. And you can't put it back in the fridge after heating it.

This is a fab fab thing to have a look at re: storage. It's the guidelines I have always gone by.

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/ ... toring.pdf

By the way, that's a fab amount to have expressed at your stage!!

I keep mine in the fridge and either use in for baby rice which you obviously won't be doing yet, or freeze it if I've not used it for a couple days (in the boots freezer bags the others have quoted, or I had some avent ones a couple of months back too). I'm starting to express once a night now to build up some reserves in the freezer. Breastfeeding is being a bit difficult for me at the mo so I want to have some stock if I fancy not feeding for a bit, or worst case scenario I'll stock it up ready for when he starts going to nursery. Expressing 125ml at a time, he'll easily get through 300ml for one feed, so I've got a while to go before I can even get a days supply done for him!!!

Oh also, I don't know about others, but if I express and then put the bottle in the fridge, I don't take it out to re-express into cos then there's warm liquid mixing with the cooled liquid which to me just seems a bit :? I duno there's just something about it I'm not comfortable with.. so I use a new bottle each time I express and only tip them together once they are both the same temperature.

x

Given how early you are in establishing breast milk. Try and make sure you use this milk to feed your LO the same day (or that evening). Other wise your body will carry on producing too much milk and the engorgement will just get worse. Express of the absolute minimum you can to allow your LO to latch on (I had to do this on mornings, as Ellie could not latch on when my milk first came in). You will need to put up with a little be of discomfort before your body will settle down.

Good luck and well done!

Yup, I'm pretty sure warmed milk needs to be used within the hour or disposed of... sorry chick :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back