Breastfeeding!!!!!

honeybuggles

Reaction score
hi ladies well i am feeling a bit annoyed really. I went to my anti-natal class last night and they were discussing breastfeeding. Which i personally can't bear the thought of. I'm not a prude or anything i just can't stand the thought of it, the pain and hassle etc. But i have decided that i would at least try it and i feel that i could do it then i would and if i don't like it then i'm not going to. Well anyway at my anit-natal class i thought they would show you how to prepare feeds etc and advise on bottle feeding as well as breast feeding. But the health visitor explained that they weren't allowed to give any advice or guidance on bottle feeding because they have to promote breastfeeding only. I thought this was terrible and i really felt that if i didn't breastfeed or at least try then i was a failure. They whole class about breastfeeding and how great it is. I was just concerned for other mothers out there who just can't breast feed and what advice would they be given ?

sorry for the moan girls it just really got to me

Lucy and bump

34 weeks

I understand what you're saying. Not everyone feels comfortable with BF and it can be helpful to have some info on preparing and steralising. In the state hospitals here in SA, you are only allowed to BF. There is NO way they will give your baby formula in a bottle! If you're refusing to BF, they make up formula in a tea cup!!! Sounds terrible, doesn't it? Only prob we have here, is that many people in poverty bracket, sees formula as status symbol. If you've got formula, you've got money! Hence the promotion of BF. Not the case in the UK, so would expect each person has choice of their own.
Give the BF a try and you never know - you might find it's quite a natural way forward for you and your baby.
Good luck and I hope you come right with which ever direction you choose to go!!!
Kindest Regards
Emilia xx

well i personally plan to breastfeed if i can, but i think it's awful that they don't respect people's different choices! it is a very personal decision and they should ensure that people who decide to bottlefeed get the right guidance to be successful with their choice!

so there!

perhaps you can get some advice from someone like cow and gate? they have a dedicated phone line where you can ask about anything pregnancy and baby related, they might be able to point you in the right direction? or maybe you know someone who has bottlefed their babies whou you could ask?

good luck anyway!

I think I would have felt quite upset too! I think it's awesome that you're going to give it a try. Ever since I found out I was pregnant, I was set on breastfeeding. I only lasted 2 days before I was slammed with a spinal headache. I felt so guilty for stopping at first, but the important thing is that my baby is healthy and happy. I'll still try breastfeeding my next baby when the time comes. Breastfeeding just doesn't work out for all mothers and babies so they should be informed on formula-feeding basics as well.

I found the same thing at our NCT class - they are pro-breast feeding and the breastfeeding counsellor there was pretty full on - any woman there planning to bottle feed from day one would have left the class feeling like a TERRIBLE mother.

I agree - breastfeeding is not for everyone, and everyone should be given full information so that they can make informed decisions. Surely not giving you the correct information could risk a baby's health in some way.

I'm planning on trying breastfeeding, but as Amber Nicole found, you're not always in control of these things, and I may end up having to bottle feed.

Anyway, can't help I'm afraid - I just wanted to join the rant as it makes me mad too - grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

LBxx

even thou im breastfeeding at our parent craft class we were seen by a SMA rep one night she was only really htere so talk about sterilizing and stuf like that but u cud ask her questions about what ever u wanted.
your midwves sound like they r a bitold fashioned in that sense...

i think petchy was right try looking at cow and gate web site or SMA if not then maybe u could talk to the resident midwives at the hospital ur labouring at... they are normal more open then the community ones and as ive found with mine they would rather take time out to put ur mind at rest (even if u think its a silly thing) then have a pregnant mum worring.

xx

Breast feeding is hard and does take some perserverance, its not for every one , the antenatal classes should show you haw to do formula to, as if its your first you worry about every little thing, without having to worry about makeing formula right.
My little one is a month old and still being breast fed, its hard i've had mastitis and now i think i have thrush because of the antibiotics i was on. there has been times when i've thought sod it i'll give a bottle its easier, but breast feeding hads owrked for me so far, but it won't be for every one and people shoul d repsect that

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back